Ward and Green to be offered new contracts

Curtains

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Apparently the paper said that Ward was being offered a contract to stave of interest from Leicester. Now, call my cynical, but I doubt we'd be doing anything to diminish Leicester's interest in Ward. If we could convince Leicester to pay twice what Jamie is worth then I reckon Tom Glick would deliver him personally.

Apparently the paper said that Ward was being offered a contract to stave of interest from Leicester. Now, call my cynical, but I doubt we'd be doing anything to diminish Leicester's interest in Ward. If we could convince Leicester to pay twice what Jamie is worth then I reckon Tom Glick would deliver him personally.

There is no recent evidence to support that view. The current owners have not forced the sale of anyone who is useful to us.

Think Greenies wage could be spent better elsewhere, so hope we aren't giving him the same deal or higher. I like the bloke, but in our current situation we've got to get the best for what we pay and he isn't it!

given his versatility, you'd potentially need three other players to replace him - plus any replacement would probably need us to pay a fee - if he re-signs on similar terms, it makes sense to me....

There is no recent evidence to support that view. The current owners have not forced the sale of anyone who is useful to us.

Not saying that it's a forced sale, but every player has their price. Leicester's recent history suggests that that price is doubled when they come sniffing.

Selling a player - any player - for a good fee is not, in itself a bad thing, the important thing then is what happens to the money. If we got £4m for Jamie Ward which allowed Nigel to buy and pay the three quality players that I reckon we are short of to be genuine playoff contenders, then it could only be a good thing. If we sold Ward and the money went to pay down the debt owed to the investors, then it would be a bad thing. Until it happens we won't know which way things will work out.

My point was that the club needs money, and interest from Leicester in a player is often a very good way for a club to get some money.

Not saying that it's a forced sale, but every player has their price. Leicester's recent history suggests that that price is doubled when they come sniffing.

Selling a player - any player - for a good fee is not, in itself a bad thing, the important thing then is what happens to the money. If we got £4m for Jamie Ward which allowed Nigel to buy and pay the three quality players that I reckon we are short of to be genuine playoff contenders, then it could only be a good thing. If we sold Ward and the money went to pay down the debt owed to the investors, then it would be a bad thing. Until it happens we won't know which way things will work out.

My point was that the club needs money, and interest from Leicester in a player is often a very good way for a club to get some money.

I agree completely with that.... certainly every player has his price and it never does any harm to freshen the side up with a new face or two.

I would happily sell Ward for 2 million as long as the money is reinvested, we have several lightweight midfielders and, in my opinion, we need to swap some of these for stronger players who can dictate the game from midfield. Ward is creative, but in just about any other Derby team of the last few years he would have been far from the most creative player in the side. Four goals and four assists I think it is from him in 30 odd games this season, 2 million could buy us far more creativity than this.

I would like to see us sign two strong proper wingers and someone who can dictate the play from the centre of midfield. If we do that we would not have a significant need for Ward or Green, so selling Ward for 2 million and using this and the saving of both wages to bring in the three players mentioned would be good business in my mind. With a strong midfield controlling play and creating chances I would see our strikers scoring plenty of goals without any investment in that department.

Yes – the Ward offer is to activate his one year extension and the Green offer – well I suspect this is just the club manoeuvring to put the blame on Greeny and his agent when they don’t sign. You’ll notice the press release doesn’t mention it being an “improved” offer.

Yes – the Ward offer is to activate his one year extension and the Green offer – well I suspect this is just the club manoeuvring to put the blame on Greeny and his agent when they don’t sign. You’ll notice the press release doesn’t mention it being an “improved” offer.

That said he was offered the opportunity to move on, and it would seem nobody took the bait. Maybe he was holding out for an offer when there's no real appetite for him being signed up anywhere. In that case, would you offer him an improved deal?

It seems to me that they've been dead straight with Greeny. Told him they'd like to keep him but can only offer, say, half of what he's on now and given him the chance to find another club willing to pay him close to his current wage.

I reckon he'll end up staying.

Suppose the owners might be prepared to match Green's current wage now that the FFP rules look like they've been scuppered. Maybe they have given Nigel a tiny bit of flexibility with the wage bill. Just a thought! Otherwise, maybe they offered him a ridiculously low wage and he is never going to sign it, but they can say, they have actually offered him a new deal.

Otherwise, if Green does sign for a lower wage than what he is currently on that would be a good tonic for the football club as a whole as he can cover a couple of positions and also is one of the older heads in the squad. Probably though there would be some kind of cheap release fee involved. Likewise with Ward if he signs on again, it helps the club keep hold of two or their more "saleable assets". If these players then become wanted by other clubs, we would at least get a reasonable fee for them.

Archived