Derby County v Ipswich Town

ladyram

I thought he had a shocker of a first half, too many rushed clearances that ended up in the top tier of the West stand, we got off the hook when he lost possession about 20 yards out too. Steadied himself after the break and he did defend ok, his distribution was still rushed though in my opinion. After seeing him against Palace and Donny where he didn't look out of place one bit I was a bit disappointed by his performance today, he's better than that. Still young and ever improving though, good to see he can come and back us up when needed with a decent standard of performances. Sounded solid last week.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The reason we are dull at times is simply down to personnel. We have honest, hard-working players and our passing isn't bad, but other than Ward, we don't have players who can run at the opposition to make things happen. We can pass the ball well enough up to the box and then it all falls a little flat because at that point you need a trick to create space.

Without Steve Davies, we are hopeless in the air, so that's not a goalscoring option. I am not complaining because with the finances we have I think we do pretty well. Also, we don't seem to be out of games as often as in previous years.

The defence is far better than before and that gives us something to work on (as long as we keep them!).We can build on strong platforms next year, but to make to the top six, we will need more invention and a proven finisher.

We have gone with pace this year, but the players who provide it don't make the good footballing decisions which win matches. Maguire and Bennett are two players who have greater vision but for differing reasons aren't ready yet.

I have said all season we will finish tenth and I reckon this represents progress.

A few have said Naylor was poor today. Just goes to show how opinions vary. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wacko' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wacko:' />

4 or 5 of us were saying what a good find he was and how comfortable he looked on the ball......We sit in the East stand and made a point of watching him during the 2nd half. He defended well, linked up, got forward and nearly always found a white shirt. He put one thunderous tackle in, hurt himself but got up and ran it off.

I left the game thinking he was ok apart from being a bit ginger. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/blink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':blink:' />

I also sat in the East stand quite close to where he was at RB. His first half was appalling. Every time he got the ball he kind of looked up and then just got rid quickly. He shouldn't be playing championship football at the moment, but unfortunately Brayford's out. I would have hated to see Naylor's pass completion rate *pause to wait for Bris to come up with it, being the statto ******* that he is*

Would have been a completely different game if we'd had Savies or Callium Ball for that matter. They had two big ******** at CB and we could do nothing about it. Should have played it along the floor more. And to be honest today Wardy was *****. He didn't do anything all game, how some fans stood up to clap him off I do not know. Not his fault of course, he'd just come back from injury and was playing (IMO) out of position.

On the brighter side Bucko, Robbo and Shackell were excellent. Buxton in particular is a football genius. Didn't put a foot wrong all day. The improvement between the Theo Robinson we had at the start of the season and the one we have now is massive. Although at times his decision making is shockingly poor, he is one of the hardest workers in the team. I don't think he lost us the ball all game, he would always winner a corner or a throw in.

First home game I've been to this season. Not a classic it has to be said! Felt like a behind closed doors pre-season friendly at times. Thought the ref was very good although few contentious decisions. Also thought we might have varied one of our 14 corners!!! Second half we played well but just lacked that bit of guile/craft in the final third which Steve Davies (or Maguire!) might have provided.

Some ratings, for what they're worth:

Fielding 8 (great finger tip save near the end to preserve the point)

Naylor 6

Shackell 9 (mom, absolute class)

Buxton 8 (didn't give Chopra a kick all afternoon)

Roberts 7

Green 6

Bryson 6

Hendrick 7 (gets his toe in at important times)

Davies 6 (should have scored when hit the post)

Robinson 7 (not sure how he got the mom award, should have had a hat-trick but at least he gets in goalscoring positions)

Ward 6 (in and out as you might expect and wasted our best situations in the first-half)

Tyson (not on long enough to rate but to me his confidence looks shattered, send him out on loan!)

I also sat in the East stand quite close to where he was at RB. His first half was appalling. Every time he got the ball he kind of looked up and then just got rid quickly. He shouldn't be playing championship football at the moment, but unfortunately Brayford's out. I would have hated to see Naylor's pass completion rate *pause to wait for Bris to come up with it, being the statto ******* that he is*

Would have been a completely different game if we'd had Savies or Callium Ball for that matter. They had two big ******** at CB and we could do nothing about it. Should have played it along the floor more. And to be honest today Wardy was *****. He didn't do anything all game, how some fans stood up to clap him off I do not know. Not his fault of course, he'd just come back from injury and was playing (IMO) out of position.

On the brighter side Bucko, Robbo and Shackell were excellent. Buxton in particular is a football genius. Didn't put a foot wrong all day. The improvement between the Theo Robinson we had at the start of the season and the one we have now is massive. Although at times his decision making is shockingly poor, he is one of the hardest workers in the team. I don't think he lost us the ball all game, he would always winner a corner or a throw in.

I appreciate it's frustrating when you see a professional player hack the ball upfield but I think Naylor will be alright. I saw him against Bristol last week and for the first ten minutes he looked as nervous as a kitten, but he settled and coped well. I think we underestimate the jump from non-league football to the Chamopinship. It's not just the standard, it's the pressure of playing in front of 20,000 people who latch upon your every mistake. Once he conquers his nerves I think he will be a valuable member of the squad.

I would point out that Brayford's distribution hasn't exactly been exemplary this season and I hope he comes back more like the player of last season.

For what was a meaningless end of season game for both sides I thought it was actually quite a good game to watch.

Just wish we'd score from corners though, we had enough of 'em.

Naylor's alright and nowt wrong with no nonsence clearances.

Bucko was fantastic and really chuffed for him, he deserves his place in the team.

Naylor's alright and nowt wrong with no nonsence clearances.

Bucko was fantastic and really chuffed for him, he deserves his place in the team.

Hopefully with Shackell staying, Buxton and Naylor playing well and O'Brien coming back, they won't "waste" our limited transfer kitty on a CB?

agreed, but O'Brien coming back fully fit after pre-season is key

I'm not a fan of loans and squad player additions, when the highlight of this season has been seeing our youngsters taking their chance. We should only be signing players who are better than those currently on the books and not at the expense of any talented youngsters.

O'Brien, Hendrick, and Ball have been just class and a real pleasure to watch.

Archived