Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

No, but if Clough said no we can't sell, would the board go over his head?

The board took the stick for the Hulse sale despite Clough saying on numerous occasions it was down to him and was done for footballing reasons.

It comes down to the price. If someone offers a figure that means alot to the board, I don't think they'd hesitate in pushing it through.

Not saying every sale he's made is down the men upstairs, but if there's a way to generate a significant amount of money in a single sale, they'll be all for it.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It comes down to the price. If someone offers a figure that means alot to the board, I don't think they'd hesitate in pushing it through.

Not saying every sale he's made is down the men upstairs, but if there's a way to generate a significant amount of money in a single sale, they'll be all for it.

Just didn't agree with getting the board bashing in early if he is sold in the summer

I can't see how we'd consider letting jason go. Even it was a double your money offer for us. (ok if someone comes in and offers 3m plus - then consider away.)

Unless someone knows of another Shackell who is available for under a million?

This was the lad we wanted for ages to partner Barker, this was our "Barker" type signing and was the KEY purchase of last summer.

If we let him go after just a season, especially with Barks out - even I would start to wonder what the hell was going on.

I can't see how we'd consider letting jason go. Even it was a double your money offer for us. (ok if someone comes in and offers 3m plus - then consider away.)

Unless someone knows of another Shackell who is available for under a million?

This was the lad we wanted for ages to partner Barker, this was our "Barker" type signing and was the KEY purchase of last summer.

If we let him go after just a season, especially with Barks out  - even I would start to wonder what the hell was going on.

we wouldn't need to buy another Shackell, we would have to buy a Barker as well. We are looking to get a replacement for Barker, wouldn't make sense to get 1 for Shackell also.

What's respect got to do with it?

Would the board sell Shackell without Clough's say so? We signed Shackell whilst slashing the wage bill, if we did sell could it be that Clough made the call as he believes he can strengthen the squad with X amount we'd get for him?

I suppose it's easier to blame the board tho.

Sorry disagree with this. Shackell brought in and captained the team at the beginning of the season. Clough has always talked about the partnership he wanted with Shackell and Barker. Barker out injured for next season would we go from having one of the strongest centre halve partnerships to having both out of the side next season. The only way Clough will sanction this is if he got all the money from the sale and he was able to get the replacement in. That won't happen so can't see it.

If you want proof of board doing this before look at WHU with Curbeshley (not sure how to spell it) won a constructive dismissal case after they sold players from under him. Boards up and down the country sell players without their managers say so.

Rooney from Everton to Man UUtd Moyes saying not for sale and then the next day he was off.

I would however be really pisssed off if I was Shackell as his interviews when he signed hinged on the fact that the club are ambitious and they are wanting to bring in new players to push for promotion. He signed and then what happened. If the board wanted to push for promotion this season or next season we would have brought players in January. We would be looking at summer now rumours would be circulating nothing. Could Shackell ask for a transfer as Rooney did couple of seasons ago as the club are not displaying the ambitions to meet his needs.

I would however be really pisssed off if I was Shackell as his interviews when he signed hinged on the fact that the club are ambitious and they are wanting to bring in new players to push for promotion. He signed and then what happened. If the board wanted to push for promotion this season or next season we would have brought players in January. We would be looking at summer now rumours would be circulating nothing. Could Shackell ask for a transfer as Rooney did couple of seasons ago as the club are not displaying the ambitions to meet his needs.

No one forced him to sign, he made his decison and he should realise that. Bet he is getting paid a bit.

The only reason why Rooney put in a transfer request was to get an improved contract.:/

Sorry disagree with this. Shackell brought in and captained the team at the beginning of the season. Clough has always talked about the partnership he wanted with Shackell and Barker. Barker out injured for next season would we go from having one of the strongest centre halve partnerships to having both out of the side next season. The only way Clough will sanction this is if he got all the money from the sale and he was able to get the replacement in. That won't happen so can't see it.

If you want proof of board doing this before look at WHU with Curbeshley (not sure how to spell it) won a constructive dismissal case after they sold players from under him. Boards up and down the country sell players without their managers say so.

Rooney from Everton to Man UUtd Moyes saying not for sale and then the next day he was off.

But this is Derby not West Ham, maybe he would get to spend the lot, maybe he won't, maybe we won't even sell him, maybe we will.

Not sure what you are disagreeing with, all I was saying is its unfair to be board bashing on the back of paper talk. There is a possibility that IF he was sold it may not be down to the board.

People in the pub today were saying as if it was fact that we have to sell Shacks to "balance the books".

I call pisspoor lazy journalism and no truth in it whatsoever.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not saying we wouldn't sell him if a decent bid came in, I'm just saying none has.

The bigger problem is that fans automatically think the worst and accept every rumour as fact.

But this is Derby not West Ham, maybe he would get to spend the lot, maybe he won't, maybe we won't even sell him, maybe we will.

Not sure what you are disagreeing with, all I was saying is its unfair to be board bashing on the back of paper talk. There is a possibility that IF he was sold it may not be down to the board.

I agree no evidence at moment that this is the case. However with FFP looking like it is being shelved for next season Glick reports that the academy is the future of the club. This puts a lot of pressure on the academy, the young players and Clough and all the staff as they have the responsibility of developing the young players, balancing the team and the pressures of the 1st team. The problem I have is that although the club are investing twice as much in the academy than in previous year this is a far cheaper option than investing in one or two players who could help this young team develop on the 1st team pitch. I am all for the academy, bringing in young players, however the championship is a difficult league and to rely on them is dangerous. If we had lost the first 4 games of the season and not built that confidence up would we have done so well this season. Experience is key and there has to be some experience in the team.

The last 2-3 season we have seen promises of investment from Glick, talk of Barker type signings, names in the hat that Clough has mentioned, RD talking about potential signings. Season ticket renewal this yr saw a 10% price hike with vouchers if renewing early. Where are the promises of investment, where is the talk of potential signings nothing. All the talk is that of contract renewals for players. There is not enough influential old heads in the team to help the young players on the pitch. The person who fits that role is Shackell if he goes who will keep the young uns going on matchday

I've seen mentions on the web of Shackell being unhappy and/or falling out with NC. Who knows what is going on.

The problem we have is that if we sell him for £2m - we will be hard pushed to replace him with a £2m player that fits our wage structure. Fact of life is that players who are worth a lot also demand higher wages. We can't offer higher wages so the "Barker-type signings" won't happen. It would almost certainly be a case of using £2m to buy several lower qualitty players to strengthen the squad

Shacks is a decent defender at this level but if we sold him for $1.5mill and replaced him with Gorkks for cheaper I'd be feckin delighted and it would be fantastic business...

What would be better is if we kept Shacks and bought Gorkks anyway.. We'd definately have a top 6 CB pairing then.

It also looks like he has been playing with an injury, which he wouldn't do if he was wanting out.

He hasn't fallen out with clough. If we read the post containing the info - the source is barely credible.

(not the poster - the source)

Archived