Jason Shackell

BorneoRam

My Dad has just come over for a visit and reckons he saw in a couple of papers (he said the Sunday People for sure) that Shackell was going to be off in the summer for 2m and that NC would use the money to replace him and reduce the wage bill. Sounds crazy as we have just lost Barker but I was surprised not to see any thing on here - it normally takes a lot less than a tabloid article to justify starting a rumour/thread....

Leicester and Ipswich were mentioned and he thought he saw Norwich (although may just have that in his head as it was mentioned as a former club) no link and have not seen the article myself - Tabloids get a lot more wrong than right but would be interesting if we got a bid for a player we clearly need to see what the board do...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Selling Shackell now would be moronic. Barker won't get fit in the next season and O'Brien is so young he needs someone like Shackell to tutor him through the next season. It starts to sound like that we will be operating soon with League One like budget and that will lead us right there before we are anywhere near top 6.

My Dad has just come over for a visit and reckons he saw in a couple of papers (he said the Sunday People for sure) that Shackell was going to be off in the summer for 2m and that NC would use the money to replace him and reduce the wage bill. Sounds crazy as we have just lost Barker but I was surprised not to see any thing on here - it normally takes a lot less than a tabloid article to justify starting a rumour/thread....

Leicester and Ipswich were mentioned and he thought he saw Norwich (although may just have that in his head as it was mentioned as a former club) no link and have not seen the article myself - Tabloids get a lot more wrong than right but would be interesting if we got a bid for a player we clearly need to see what the board do...

See last page of Lets talk Forest thread, it's been mentioned but at this point don't think anyone's taking it too seriously. As usual, we watch & wait.

Here ya go Borneo

[url=

Ive seen the source, and we paid £1m for him not the £750,000 quoted. That was what was paid by Barnsley for him last season.

I don't think Clough has ever sold a first choice player under a long contract yet, correct me if I'm wrong

Given that it was out on 1st April, it this just an April Fools joke from some rival fans in the wake of our accounts being released. - Look at the story beneath it aswell

.ly/images/3831778/full

Ive seen the source, and we paid £1m for him not the £750,000 quoted. That was what was paid by Barnsley for him last season.

I don't think Clough has ever sold a first choice player under a long contract yet, correct me if I'm wrong

Well to sell a player you need to have a bid first, Martin, Pringle and Pearson spring to mind, but given that we have IMO very few saleable assets, it will be interesting to see what happens if a bid comes in for the like of Shacknell and Brayford.

This is a big test for the board. Are they ambitious and prepared to put a little funding into the team and make us a side capable of challenging for promotion?

Or, more likely, are they deluded and believe that in selling our highest earners, and replacing them with less expensive players, we will achieve the same goal?

It's simple maths. If you shop around hard enough, more wages=better players. You can't get promoted with players like Robinson and O'Brien as first team regulars. Glick needs to wake up and realise this. Stop slashing the bloody wage bill, if we lose any more players we won't have 11 to put out.

Now is the time to put up some funds or sell up. And I mean some, what £3-4 million if that, not talking about the money Leicester have splashed about. We don't deserve a board that are obsessed with penny pinching, we want, and deserve, sucess.

This is a big test for the board. Are they ambitious and prepared to put a little funding into the team and make us a side capable of challenging for promotion?

Or, more likely, are they deluded and believe that in selling our highest earners, and replacing them with less expensive players, we will achieve the same goal?

It's simple maths. If you shop around hard enough, more wages=better players. You can't get promoted with players like Robinson and O'Brien as first team regulars. Glick needs to wake up and realise this. Stop slashing the bloody wage bill, if we lose any more players we won't have 11 to put out.

Now is the time to put up some funds or sell up. And I mean some, what £3-4 million if that, not talking about the money Leicester have splashed about. We don't deserve a board that are obsessed with penny pinching, we want, and deserve, sucess.

No team "deserves" sucess it has to be earned.

We, the fans, deserve success, we have the highest gates in the League, turning up to whatever the quality, and are arguably one of the bigger clubs. There are no excuses, we should not be scrapping against relegation every other season.

I agree we're not the best team in the league, and that's down to player policy. All I'm saying is there isn't a lot that needs changing to make us a club capable of competing for promotion. And at the same time, there isn't much you'd need to change to get us relegated. Losing Shackell would be a disaster. The board need to realise that keeping him should be our number one priority. As has been mentioned above, Barker won't be back until the beginning of the season after next realistically, we need a solid leader at the back.

I think from what Ramblur put in the accoutns thread that in season 10-11accounts net transfer spend was around of £1.5m so roughly half of what you are asking for.

I think its important to note that we signed Shackell with a very thorough planned out wagebill in mind last season, its not something that has just hit us out the blue.

Although, may be worth noting if we sold Shackell, or anyone I deemed reasonable... I'd ask for a refund on my season ticket (is that still plausible?)

What's respect got to do with it?

Would the board sell Shackell without Clough's say so? We signed Shackell whilst slashing the wage bill, if we did sell could it be that Clough made the call as he believes he can strengthen the squad with X amount we'd get for him?

I suppose it's easier to blame the board tho.

No, but if Clough said no we can't sell, would the board go over his head?

The board took the stick for the Hulse sale despite Clough saying on numerous occasions it was down to him and was done for footballing reasons.

Clough will have a budget. It may or may not be adequate (depending on your perspective) but it's his decision who is signed and who is sold, and the constraint will be to keep within the budget. I very much doubt that he'll be told which players to sell (or buy) but he will be expected to operate on budget.

Archived