Realistic goals for the end of this season and the next

alexxxxx

I personally won't be happy now if we finish outside the top 10 (definitely within our reach) and next season in the top 6..

Maybe I'm being unreasonable but I think with a bit of development, improvements in the middle and the ability to shake off losses a bit quicker we can be there next year..

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hoped we'd be in for an average season finishing around midtable 13-10th. Probably will be the case and i'll be pleased with that.

We've been average for most of the year, it's just that we've had our runs either awful or really good. We've always been consistent with whatever run we have been on!

I wanted us to win more than we lose so we are on course at the minute, just...

All this building thing is nonsense.. There's no such thing as constant improvement in the NPC.. Look at Millwall and Forest, they went from top 8 and challenging to bottom 8 and struggling in one season..

We could have a marvellous finish to the season and then finish 19th next season..

The 3 teams that have improved the most this year are Derby, Watford and Palace.. Are these 3 all going to be top half next season? I doubt it..

I think all we can do now is enjoy the last games regardless of where we finish and build for next season.. Who knows where we'll finish next season.. We could end up being relegated.

You have to think, how may teams would be happy just to stay up? With a few more established teams coming up (Charlton, Sheff Wed, Sheff Utd, Huddlesfield etc.), I can only think of perhaps Millwall, Coventry and Peterborough who would be happy to just stay in the league.. Every other team will fancy a 'year of improvement' and a playoff push..

Overachieving could be disastrous for NC.. When people start expecting top 10 finishes the pressure is going to mount on him if we have a season similar to what Forest and Millwall are having now.

All this building thing is nonsense.. There's no such thing as constant improvement in the NPC

As a target it's not a bad one. We know there's no guarantees or anything but you should be aiming to do better all the time.

For me, realistic targets:

Top half this season, top 8 next season, playoffs following season, promotion by the season after at the outside. If 6 years of Clough can't get us there then I think we'll never manage it without some change.

As a target it's not a bad one. We know there's no guarantees or anything but you should be aiming to do better all the time.

For me, realistic targets:

Top half this season, top 8 next season, playoffs following season, promotion by the season after at the outside. If 6 years of Clough can't get us there then I think we'll never manage it without some change.

I agree that we should be aiming to improve all the time.. We should aim to improve on this season.

But 3 teams go up, and 3 teams going down, that leaves 18 other teams who all have the same target 'to improve on last season be it in performances or points tally'

Out of those 18 teams, some will improve (Watford, Derby, Palace), some will stay still (Leeds Utd, Burnley, Ipswich) and some will get worse (Forest, Millwall, Doncaster).. When you look at it, out of the 6 clubs that didn't improve, 3 changed managers, 2 were under massive pressure (Jewell and Jackett) and the other (Eddie Howe) was given time as it's his first season.

Even though we are only a few points off I feel we are quite a few players being at a level where we can get into the play offs. I feel the teams up there have a lot better squads than ours and just more quality. With the current side we could finish anywhere between the 20th and 8th as thats the way the championship is, there really isnt much between the others sometimes just a bit of confidence or fortune

Given that we will/potentially lose three of our first teamers next season, and with no money coming in for them and no new investment, unfortunately mid table again at best.

Our first 11 may be top ten material, but our squad is poor in comparison, and given other clubs will be coming up and down with more impetus, then 13th for me.

Archived