13 wins/Play Off chances PTII merged.

ariotofmyown

Sorry but I expect you thought this was coming but totally disagree. We need to score or more than the opposition. Look at Peterbrough how many games is that they don't score at least once yet lose games. If you can't defend and conceed 1 or more goals you have to score more goals in a game which is not that easy. If you can keep clean sheets you can grind out results and win games. I agree you need to score goals but lets see 1-0 Leeds, 2-1 WHU, 1-0 Hull, 1-0 Palace, 1-0 Coventry in last 5 games 4 wins out of 4 in league and a FA cup win, conceeded 1 scored 6 GD +5. The back 4 which includes Barker who with Shackell is forming the strongest cb partnership in championship (although you don't rate Barker he has been key to the defence since returning). If we could not defend would we have 5 wins out 5 don't think so.

Having a solid defence is great, that's not the issue.. The issue is about scoring goals, there's no way a team of this calibre can expect to grind out 1-0s all the time.. Those 5 wins you've just mentioned could have been 5 losses had it not been for good goalkeeping, solid defending, lucky breaks and awful finishes from the striker.. We certainly don't have a swagger of a team that's won 5 on the bounce..

This team is overachieving and everyone should be delighted with the position we're in..

But this team now lacks quality in the middle of the park and creativity, to really assert ourselves and dominate the opposition, keeping the ball and creating chances.. This isn't a dig at anyone in particular, it's stating an opinion that we could do far more damage in this league given we had a decent attacking edge..

I'm surely not the only one thinking that this team is on for a hiding at some point Leicester City style.. I said the same about Billy Ds side, and that happened once reaching the PL..

Hopefully Clough will spend all of the money given to him in the summer on attacking/creative players, this teams needs it.

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I agree that if we had a bit more flair we could score more goals too but 6 goals in 5 games has been enough to give us 5 wins out of 5.

That wont continue for sure but I do expect a lot more 1-0 wins to come provided we can keep this back 5 injury free.

Having a solid defence is great, that's not the issue.. The issue is about scoring goals, there's no way a team of this calibre can expect to grind out 1-0s all the time..

Now we've got a fully fit team, we're simply not conceding goals. We have a solid as flip defence and a keeper capable of making world class saves on a game by game basis. With pace up front and someone like Jamie Ward coming up with the occasional moment of brilliance we are always going to have a golden opportunity or two for a clumsy poacher or a young hotshot to grab us a winner. This has now happened five times in a row. There's more to it than luck.

I look at it like this, a boxer who waits out until his opponent is tired to strike will win a few victories using this tactic, however sooner or later he'll fight against someone who packs too heavy a punch and will be knocked out. I think we are doing very well, I think credit should go to Nigel and the players for what they are achieving, however we shouldn't suddenly expect to win game after game. We should be patient with the players and the manager if we stumble and eventually get knocked out by a team.

I look at it like this, a boxer who waits out until his opponent is tired to strike will win a few victories using this tactic, however sooner or later he'll fight against someone who packs too heavy a punch and will be knocked out. I think we are doing very well, I think credit should go to Nigel and the players for what they are achieving, however we shouldn't suddenly expect to win game after game. We should be patient with the players and the manager if we stumble and eventually get knocked out by a team.

Unless they`re wearing a black hat and fiddling with the scorecard.

Having a solid defence is great, that's not the issue.. The issue is about scoring goals, there's no way a team of this calibre can expect to grind out 1-0s all the time.. Those 5 wins you've just mentioned could have been 5 losses had it not been for good goalkeeping, solid defending, lucky breaks and awful finishes from the striker.. We certainly don't have a swagger of a team that's won 5 on the bounce..

This team is overachieving and everyone should be delighted with the position we're in..

But this team now lacks quality in the middle of the park and creativity, to really assert ourselves and dominate the opposition, keeping the ball and creating chances.. This isn't a dig at anyone in particular, it's stating an opinion that we could do far more damage in this league given we had a decent attacking edge..

I'm surely not the only one thinking that this team is on for a hiding at some point Leicester City style.. I said the same about Billy Ds side, and that happened once reaching the PL..

Hopefully Clough will spend all of the money given to him in the summer on attacking/creative players, this teams needs it.

I agree with this!!! Coventry for me are the worst team I have seen at pp for many a year yet they dominated possession! Though not really creating much, we do need a better midfield, bailey for me yesterday was again the worst derby player out there and though Bryson did ok we got over ran!!

We need a big strong bruiser that will put his foot on the ball, slow the play down, or play a nice through ball!!

Olofinjana anyone?

Away form may be an issue, but let's look at our form against the top 11

P 11 W5 D2 L4

2 away losses, 2 away wins

3 home wins and 2 home losses

1 home draw and 1 away draw

Not a bad record against the teams at the top.

Talking of away results, how did we do against forest?? Have we played this match away yet??

Whatever way you look at this we should be expecting to finish the season with between 61 and 70 points, this depends on a pesemistic or optimistic stance when predicting future fixture results.

So play offs a distinct possibility and we all better start saving for a few extra games at the end of the season, just in case..!!

The big caveat with all this talk is that we remain relatively injury free. If any two or three players from: Ward, Barker, Shackell, Bailey, Brayford, Roberts, Green get injured then I feel we may see a dip in form from the shuffling about with positions that will ensue. I suppose you could say that Cywka would be a direct stand in for Ward, but I think most would prefer Ward over Cywka or Ben Davies.

Anyway, it's nice to be looking up rather than down the league.

I agree with this!!! Coventry for me are the worst team I have seen at pp for many a year yet they dominated possession! Though not really creating much, we do need a better midfield, bailey for me yesterday was again the worst derby player out there and though Bryson did ok we got over ran!!

We need a big strong bruiser that will put his foot on the ball, slow the play down, or play a nice through ball!!

Olofinjana anyone?

I'm afraid I disagree with this. Coventry are nowhere near the worst side I have seen at pride park this season never mind for years. They look like a fairly well organised team who are difficult to break down but have nothing showing up front- its not like they are shipping 4 or 5 every game, they just aren't scoring enough.

My mate is a Cov fan and I sat next to him on Sat, he was a bit down about his team but I said that there doesn't seem to be much wrong, they just need to get a goalscorer- pretty much what their manager said after the game.

Shame we haven't got one to loan them as we have now played them twice so it would have helped us out by them pinching points off the teams around us- with the added bonus of making things all the harder for our friends down the 52!

Olofinjana anyone?

Derby are the worst team I've seen at Pride Pride park this season...

Think a lot of sense is being talked here. We're over achieving with luck on our side. This is another fairly random purple patch in an unpredictable league. I still think clough is doing a poor job in general and I still think we'll end up lower-mid table.

I disagree with Bris, I wouldn't give clough a lot of money to spend because he hasn't proved he could use it wisely imo.

Think a lot of sense is being talked here. We're over achieving with luck on our side. This is another fairly random purple patch in an unpredictable league. I still think clough is doing a poor job in general and I still think we'll end up lower-mid table.

I disagree with Bris, I wouldn't give clough a lot of money to spend because he hasn't proved he could use it wisely imo.

That's the great thing about football. We all think we know best, It's a great leveller. I think the majority of his major signings have been very sound. That doesn't make me any more "right" than you but shows that we see things very differently. Fielding, Barker, Shackell, Brayford, Roberts, Bryson, Ward, Robertson, Bailey for £4.5m in total. I rest my case 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

What? So give him a 3 year contract but no transfer funds? Are we talking about the same Nigel Clough and Derby County or are you talking about one thats on another planet?

AND...there is no such thing as luck. What happens happens.

I disagree strongly the team isn't over-achieving at all, we knew on their day Fielding Shackell Barker Brayford and Roberts*,could be a ridiculously hard back-line to break through and because of that, we've had 4 clean sheets now everyone is fit and the balance is perfect, however upfront we've not had enough about us.. therefore not over-achieving, we've scored goals but not in great numbers.

Defensively achieving, attacking.. could be much better and should be!

More than happy with Clough- great faith showed by the board. It may have been a cost saving exercise bringing him in but there must have been the knowledge that he could turn us around there too.

As for transfers, he has got many more right than he has got wrong- people talk about Billy but look at how much he spent, and how many he got wrong!

As for striking, the defence are now fit and reaping the rewards, the strikers aren't- and haven't been for a while. Therefore we can't be expected to scoring hat fulls of goals. The balance is getting there it is just the lack of strength in depth that bothers me.

Does anyone know how many "senior" players we have- not including the ones we have loaned out?

Archived