Well Done Nigel And The Team!

AndyB

Wind your neck back in mate. I've merely quoted the only mention I can think of this year of our wage bill in comparison to other teams from someone who is actually in a position to know. How is this having an agenda?

Your 'fact' of us being in the middle of the 'spending league' is something 'you imagine to be the case'. Who's the one with the agenda?

I don't remember Clough's exact words, but I remember getting the impression we were in the 15th-18th area of spending after we got rid of Pearson, Bywater and Leacock et al. I also recall being quite surprised how low our comparitive spending had dropped to.Maybe whatever you imagine becomes fact, which would be a very handy power to have.

Spot on there Sage; however a little bird has told me that very soon we'll be lower than 18th.

Talk about cutting your cloth - our kit may as well be sponsored by Superscrimpers & Co.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wind your neck back in mate. I've merely quoted the only mention I can think of this year of our wage bill in comparison to other teams from someone who is actually in a position to know. How is this having an agenda?

Your 'fact' of us being in the middle of the 'spending league' is something 'you imagine to be the case'. Who's the one with the agenda?

I don't remember Clough's exact words, but I remember getting the impression we were in the 15th-18th area of spending after we got rid of Pearson, Bywater and Leacock et al. I also recall being quite surprised how low our comparitive spending had dropped to.Maybe whatever you imagine becomes fact, which would be a very handy power to have.

...Perhaps I should have used the indefinate pronoun as opposed to the personal as I wasn't actually suggesting you have an agenda. Was writing a general post off the back of your comment. As you were.

Lets not get carried away. We have beaten Donny, Forest and Palace 3 poor teams. When we come up against a decent opposition we get bullied. We're not a play off team.

I don't think that's the case, where we have gone wrong this year is dropping/being happy with results against the mid table to bottom of the table teams who are similair to ourselves.

We've just shown inexperience at times aswell as having an average to weak starting 11 sometimes too.

If we finish the season where we are I'll be pretty happy though, without any NPC experience in key positions apart from Shackell and Barker (for 5 months) we're doing fine. To say we are level with a team that has spent millions on proven NPC players and maybe even a few lower end PL players our young, inexperienced side has done ok. Very frustrating at times but I do see signs of improvement. I hope we add to a good foundation we have here in the summer. Whether that happens or not is another story though.

Credit must go to Nigel for showing faith in and getting the best out of Theo Robinson and Steve Davies, two players who I didn't expect to be first-choice strikers for us never mind reaching double figures.

The development of O'Brien, Hendrick and to a lesser extent Callum Ball is also a plus.

But there are issues with his management that continue to hold us back. There have been signs of progress this season but as always there have been signs of stagnation or regression too.

It's another big summer for Nigel and the board.

Credit must go to Nigel for showing faith in and getting the best out of Theo Robinson and Steve Davies, two players who I didn't expect to be first-choice strikers for us never mind reaching double figures.

The development of O'Brien, Hendrick and to a lesser extent Callum Ball is also a plus.

But there are issues with his management that continue to hold us back. There have been signs of progress this season but as always there have been signs of stagnation or regression too.

It's another big summer for Nigel and the board.

Getting 10 goals in a championship season isn't exactly a massive achievement. If you didn't expect them to be able to score that many goals I'd love to see some of your other predictions from the start of the season. Though I've got to agree with the last part...its going to be a big transfer window this summer.

Getting 10 goals in a championship season isn't exactly a massive achievement. If you didn't expect them to be able to score that many goals I'd love to see some of your other predictions from the start of the season. Though I've got to agree with the last part...its going to be a big transfer window this summer.

It isn't a massive achievement for players like Billy Sharp, Michael Chopra and David Nugent who have scored goals at this level consistently over their career.

For players like Davies, perennially injured and Robinson, largely unproven at this level before now, it sure is.

They have surpassed a lot of people's expectations this season and the people who had these two down as players who would reach double figures were the minority, whether you like to admit it or not.

I would still expect Nigel to be on the hunt for a new striker regardless and Glick has indicated as much.

It isn't a massive achievement for players like Billy Sharp, Michael Chopra and David Nugent who have scored goals at this level consistently over their career.

For players like Davies, perennially injured and Robinson, largely unproven at this level before now, it sure is.

They have surpassed a lot of people's expectations this season and the people who had these two down as players who would reach double figures were the minority, whether you like to admit it or not.

I would still expect Nigel to be on the hunt for a new striker regardless and Glick has indicated as much.

My apologies, I wasn't really thinking when I said that. Suppose I never considered the injuries, haha. But given they can both stay fit for the entire season, in good teams Davies could get more than 20 and Theo, imo, 20 max. I really only think we need a new striker if we're going to be challenging for promotion next season. The midfield needs improvement. Any striker can score if there is good supply.

Just a few things noticed on here re thoughts and how we are fairing

Squad not good enough - squad pushing for outside chance of top 6.

board lied to us - (going to hate typing this as don't like the board) promised a side pushing top 6 at present that is the case

Clough/staff not good enough - I think we have the second youngest average age with probably the least championship experience in the league yet have got a squad who many say not good enough pushing for top 6.

Want Gadsby back - If we had not been sold to GSE (going to hate this again lol) would we be in administration now looking at how other clubs have suffered over the last 12 months do we want to risk that for the future.

Would not trust Clough with money - Look at Shackell, Fielding, Barker, Brayford, Ward et al. This squad pushing top 6. Not many big signings not many big earners so why not trust him to spend a couple of million on a player.

Someone mentioned Neil Warnock - Got Sheff Utd up and relegated the season after won a £30million compensation package from WHU yet Sheffield Utd did not have free funds to get themselves straight back up and ended up being relegated. Got QPR up and sacked in the first season in premiership. Why bring a manager in for promotion only and then have to rebuild again where is the logic in that.

My apologies, I wasn't really thinking when I said that. Suppose I never considered the injuries, haha. But given they can both stay fit for the entire season, in good teams Davies could get more than 20 and Theo, imo, 20 max. I really only think we need a new striker if we're going to be challenging for promotion next season. The midfield needs improvement. Any striker can score if there is good supply.

I think we could do with a young out and out skillful RW no offence to Ben Davies but would use him in last 30 mins. Could do with another Ward type of player and use the wings to create things.

Personally would not sign another CM with Bryson, Hendrick, Bailey and Green if given new contract.

I think we could do with a young out and out skillful RW no offence to Ben Davies but would use him in last 30 mins. Could do with another Ward type of player and use the wings to create things.

Personally would not sign another CM with Bryson, Hendrick, Bailey and Green if given new contract.

Ben Davies is a CM, 2nd roll on the right and currently playing on the left. That said, I don't think he offers enough for the full 90. So I can't agree more, someone with some skill would be nice.

I dont know why people get off so much that the side is young, I dont know what advantage that is to be honest apart from they will play football for longer. Its a myth that young players all get better, some do, some dont just as some 30m year olds get better some dont

Someone mentioned Neil Warnock - Got Sheff Utd up and relegated the season after won a £30million compensation package from WHU yet Sheffield Utd did not have free funds to get themselves straight back up and ended up being relegated. Got QPR up and sacked in the first season in premiership. Why bring a manager in for promotion only and then have to rebuild again where is the logic in that.

That'd be me, I guess. Not saying Warnock specifically - I said someone like him. I mean, someone who's been there and done it. Spent money and got results, promotions. A manager who will make signings that will consistently win games. I'm not saying Clough can't do it, but why would you risk a sizeable chunk of transfer money on someone who hasn't got that proven record?

As for the QPR sacking, I don't know the ins and outs, but it sounds like a travesty to me. For that reason alone I hope QPR go back down.

Disagree with that, it's been a position we've struggled in for seasons now. Bryson, Hendrick, Bailey and Green are all too similar, will work hard and keep possession but they cant take the ball forward and dictate play. Especially away from home, we need a player in the centre to take control of the game.

Just a few things noticed on here re thoughts and how we are fairing

Squad not good enough - squad pushing for outside chance of top 6.

We're 12th due to a few recent good results which have flattered us a bit, even NC doesn't think we're 'pushing for top 6'

board lied to us - (going to hate typing this as don't like the board) promised a side pushing top 6 at present that is the case

See above, I knew you had your head in the clouds, but pushing top 6, come on

Clough/staff not good enough - I think we have the second youngest average age with probably the least championship experience in the league yet have got a squad who many say not good enough pushing for top 6.

And that means what? We've got an inexperienced squad, why is that? and here we go again, 'pushing for top 6' does repeating it 3 times make your wish come true?

Want Gadsby back - If we had not been sold to GSE (going to hate this again lol) would we be in administration now looking at how other clubs have suffered over the last 12 months do we want to risk that for the future.

Would we be in administration now? Would we be in the champions league now? Nobody knows.

Would not trust Clough with money - Look at Shackell, Fielding, Barker, Brayford, Ward et al. This squad pushing top 6. Not many big signings not many big earners so why not trust him to spend a couple of million on a player.

Stop it now, it's got beyond a joke

Puts you in a stronger position to go back up, or at least it should do, West Brom seem to have done it in the end.

Pushing top 6 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Archived