Well Done Nigel And The Team!

AndyB

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strange.

Have a think about that mate.

Where we were when Gadsby took us over when the 3 amigos tried to bankrupt us, and where we were when Gadsby sold up to GSE?

We failed in the prem because he didn't have 50 million to bankroll us, and the fall-out with the poison dwarf, but his re-structuring of debt and the parachute payments should have left us in a much stronger position.

It was certainly a better position financially than when he took over.

granted it was better when he took over, but was the chairman he we brought earnshaw, clod Davies, and kenny miller, and all the players that was high earners. Pearson didn't do much better. But why did Gadsby sell to Pearson who then in turn sold to GSE

NC said a few weeks ago that out wage bill is in the lower end of the table.

I'd imagine we're around the middle spenders and have been for a while, there isn't any real difference between saying top 12 and bottom 12 if you're pretty much in the middle is there? Unless ofcourse you have an agenda to prove something either way inwhich case you'd pay it closer attention. I notice Watford are just behind us and are probably bottom 4 or 5 interms of spending which shows how much shrewdness and mangerial ability plays in league positioning.

We have only just got back on track from the damage done by Billy Davis, and further componded by Paul Jewell. There was so much dead weight that it took almost 3 years to get rid of it all. We had players on contracts that the onlyt football they played was on FIFA 11, they where tied in to long contracts and high wages.

At the moment we do have somewhat of a bargain basement squad, with some potential gems in it and another point is that it is very young. It is a base to start from.

I have always felt that it would be next season where we can start to build as all the free loaders have been shifted and we start with a 'clean' budget for the squad.

I doubt there is any manager that could do better considering the limitations that have been put in place, and some people say that Warnock would/could get us promoted, I doubt he would as he likes to spend money! Southampton have taken a while to get to where they are, and have managed to sell some youngsters for large amounts that have helped fund this season especially.

Check out what Malky Mackay had to do last season with very few experienced pro's in his squad as the board released most of them the season before.

There were times last season when Watford had to field 9 academy players in the matchday squad. And they still finished mid-table.

However back to the original point of the post well done to Clough and the team they put in a good performance yesterday, I expect more of the same.

granted it was better when he took over, but was the chairman he we brought earnshaw, clod Davies, and kenny miller, and all the players that was high earners. Pearson didn't do much better. But why did Gadsby sell to Pearson who then in turn sold to GSE

Gadsby sold to Pearson as he was going to bring in big investors.

Amusingly if the owners coughed up £5m to bolster the team for next season I'd immediately get rid of Clough and give it to a manager I know would get us in the playoffs (as a minimum). You might not like him but a manager like Warnock will almost guarantee at least the playoffs with £5m. That kind of money with our current manager is unchartered territory and, although he's done reasonably well with some of his purchases, I wouldn't bet against him spending half of it on players that don't work out.

The current owners (risk averse and cost reducing) complement our current manager (able to spot a decent Championship level player for low cost) perfectly. Either change both, or change neither and ride out a few seasons of averageness.

As long as it was a manager like Warnock, but not Warnock. He reminds me of Docherty, Allison etc from years ago. The media love them because they've always got a quote. I think Warnock would be just as likely to spend half of any transfer money on players who didn't work out. He plays the percentage game and hopes that some come off. He wouldn't be able to do that here. I'm sure that would stop him coming here anyway so I can stop the panic attack I was getting at the thought of it.

I'd imagine we're around the middle spenders and have been for a while, there isn't any real difference between saying top 12 and bottom 12 if you're pretty much in the middle is there? Unless ofcourse you have an agenda to prove something either way inwhich case you'd pay it closer attention. I notice Watford are just behind us and are probably bottom 4 or 5 interms of spending which shows how much shrewdness and mangerial ability plays in league positioning.

Wind your neck back in mate. I've merely quoted the only mention I can think of this year of our wage bill in comparison to other teams from someone who is actually in a position to know. How is this having an agenda?

Your 'fact' of us being in the middle of the 'spending league' is something 'you imagine to be the case'. Who's the one with the agenda?

I don't remember Clough's exact words, but I remember getting the impression we were in the 15th-18th area of spending after we got rid of Pearson, Bywater and Leacock et al. I also recall being quite surprised how low our comparitive spending had dropped to.Maybe whatever you imagine becomes fact, which would be a very handy power to have.

The chairman doesn't pick the players he provides the funding for them, they weren't good enough, but surely that's the fault of the manager?

There is an argument that he should have provided more funding, but then that would have put us in more debt, the very thing he's being accused of !!!!!!

He sold to Pearson because he thought GSE was going to put in £50M to take us to another level.

They did put the money in, but it was spread out over 4 years, and a lot of that was wasted on mediocre players.

So he didn't have money? So why would he now? He only interested in the land around pride park than the team

And GSE aren't?????

Yet they're the ones going ahead with the developements and nobody bats an eyelid.

He did far better with the limited money he had available than GSE have done with their £50m and all the parachute payments they've spent (earned by Gadsby and the LOG).

it's just a lot of people think Gadsby will come in and invest in the squad, I don't think he will, GSE used the parachute payments to clear the debts mounted up by Gadsby and Pearson

Prepare to be Ramblurred

You'd rather see Paul Jewell back wouldn't you?

I'm sure there's more than one manager with a track record. I didn't say I'd rather see anyone with a track record - I'd rather not give the money to someone without a track record. IYSWIM.

I know GSE are, it's just a lot of people think Gadsby will come in and invest in the squad, I don't think he will, GSE used the parachute payments to clear the debts mounted up by Gadsby and Pearson

We've been over this so many times, and still people get it wildly wrong......

some people say that Warnock would/could get us promoted, I doubt he would as he likes to spend money!

What I actually said was, I'd rather give money to a Warnock (not necessarily him but I wouldn't be upset at the thought) than to Clough. I don't think many managers would do a lot better than NC has (but I'm not naive enough to say nobody could; I'm sure plenty of managers would get us playing in a more attractive style) given the constraints he's operating in.

Unless someone comes forward with £50m to buy out the current owners and have cash to spare to invest (otherwise you're at square one anyway) I think we might as well make do with what we've got. If owners take over with more money, I'd personally like to see a new manager given the rebuilding job. Someone with a track record in getting teams at this level promoted, with a football style that aims to entertain.

Archived