Well Done Nigel And The Team!

AndyB

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

G Star Ram I think we're doing that on the whole. The problem with 11 cheap professional footballers is you don't get consistency and quality. Hence our bad runs, particularly when we get injuries. Cheap professional footballers are either young or injury prone or not very good.

Teams that flash money here, there and everywhere, rapidly changing the squad don't tend to prosper.

I don't think anyone wants that approach at Derby, just the funds to buy cover when we have injuries and the 2-3 quality players that will improve the team. Evolution not revolution but not stagnation either.

I buy into that theory too. But I would rather see Nigel addressing the fact that we have no cover at full back rather than taking players like Noble and Carroll on loan.

Amusingly if the owners coughed up £5m to bolster the team for next season I'd immediately get rid of Clough and give it to a manager I know would get us in the playoffs (as a minimum). You might not like him but a manager like Warnock will almost guarantee at least the playoffs with £5m. That kind of money with our current manager is unchartered territory and, although he's done reasonably well with some of his purchases, I wouldn't bet against him spending half of it on players that don't work out.

The current owners (risk averse and cost reducing) complement our current manager (able to spot a decent Championship level player for low cost) perfectly. Either change both, or change neither and ride out a few seasons of averageness.

G Star Ram I think we're doing that on the whole. The problem with 11 cheap professional footballers is you don't get consistency and quality. Hence our bad runs, particularly when we get injuries. Cheap professional footballers are either young or injury prone or not very good.

I agree that at times we do play good football but when the chips are down we seem incapable of doing it and that is where the manager should be earning his corn. Being young or coming back from injury should not be an excuse for not keeping the ball on the floor and trying to find someone in the same colour shirt.

are Brayford, Barker, Shackell and bailey "cheap" professionals?

When Noble came on loan we were short of fit strikers. Carroll isn't costing us as I believe Spurs are still paying his wages.

And we have been short of fit full backs all season! How many times did Noble play for us? I am sure we will be making some contributions to Carrolls wages as a minimum. He is no good for this division and is certainly no better than Bailey. We are overloaded with midfielders, we are told that full back cover and a striker are a priority, and we get a useless midfielder on loan that warms our bench.

Gboro Ram I think when Clough has signed quality they have generally worked out, e.g. Fielding, Barker, Shackell, Roberts, Bryson, and some of his gambles have worked too e.g. Brayford, Bailey, Ward, Robinson, and Naylor looks OK so far. I would definitely trust Clough and his team with some money.

Yeah, let's bring Gadsby back in, the man who left us twice already, last time mounting huge debts and selling up and leaving us in the crap

Strange.

Have a think about that mate.

Where we were when Gadsby took us over when the 3 amigos tried to bankrupt us, and where we were when Gadsby sold up to GSE?

We failed in the prem because he didn't have 50 million to bankroll us, and the fall-out with the poison dwarf, but his re-structuring of debt and the parachute payments should have left us in a much stronger position.

It was certainly a better position financially than when he took over.

I'm pleased with the latest run, a month or so ago I'd have predicted a bottom half finish again but I'm finally looking up. Its nice to just have the playoffs to look at even if its ridiculously out-of-reach. Having said that, Clough probably has around a top 12 budget so I do expect us to be in and around where we are, any less than you have to question the manager and we have at times (and rightly so). Its obvious we lack the quality names you find in the top six and a couple of bigger sides out of it so the board realistically need to give Nige that bit of extra backing, if he fails then we'll know hes not the right man but he has earned his chance imo.

And well done to the team yesterday, had some wads on it with my Palace mate so was extra nice. Bricking it after the 2nd mind, typical Derby!

We have only just got back on track from the damage done by Billy Davis, and further componded by Paul Jewell. There was so much dead weight that it took almost 3 years to get rid of it all. We had players on contracts that the onlyt football they played was on FIFA 11, they where tied in to long contracts and high wages.

At the moment we do have somewhat of a bargain basement squad, with some potential gems in it and another point is that it is very young. It is a base to start from.

I have always felt that it would be next season where we can start to build as all the free loaders have been shifted and we start with a 'clean' budget for the squad.

I doubt there is any manager that could do better considering the limitations that have been put in place, and some people say that Warnock would/could get us promoted, I doubt he would as he likes to spend money! Southampton have taken a while to get to where they are, and have managed to sell some youngsters for large amounts that have helped fund this season especially.

Archived