Brighton & Hove Albion v Derby County

CumbrianRam

Just had a look on their forums, they're hailing Vicente as the new messiah, and one poster complained about how dirty we were, and that a 'team who is outclassed often resorts to such ugly tactics'. Coming from a supporter of the dirtiest team in the league. They've all become so arrogrant all of a sudden.

Hello I am a Brighton fan but having almost all family a bit up the A6.

Sorry that particular post was quoted as, in fact, it was disowned by most Albion fans.

I thought that the Rams were a reasonable team and performed well enough but Vicente and Lua Lua were pretty good last evening.

BTW, Albion though appearing to have a poor disciplinary record, are generally small in stature and therefore have appeared at times to be physical but you cant really be that physical if you are that much smaller than the oppo and the ref buys it.

Best of luck for the rest of the season.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry that particular post was quoted as, in fact, it was disowned by most Albion fans.

I thought that the Rams were a reasonable team and performed well enough but Vicente and Lua Lua were pretty good last evening.

BTW, Albion though appearing to have a poor disciplinary record, are generally small in stature and therefore have appeared at times to be physical but you cant really be that physical if you are that much smaller than the oppo and the ref buys it.

Hi there, apologies about the comment about you being arrogant, I'm sure it's only a minority, and it must be a great time to be a Seagulls fan, what with a decent team doing well, and a brand new stadium.

I didn't go to the game, but it sounded like a fairly even game (certainly in the number of chances), but the difference being Vicente and LuaLua (Vicente, in particular, looks like a cracking player- you'd do well to keep hold of him!) I didn't think we'd get too much out of it, so I'm not majorly disappointed. Well, except for the fact that you beat us on my birthday, so thanks for ruining it 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Brighton have made some quality acquisitions over the recent months with the likes of Mackail-Smith, Vicente, Assulin and Lua Lua. Wish Clough would bite the bullet and try and go for some 'older' players, but have still got the quality. Kevin Phillips etc.

Hi there, apologies about the comment about you being arrogant, I'm sure it's only a minority, and it must be a great time to be a Seagulls fan, what with a decent team doing well, and a brand new stadium.

I didn't go to the game, but it sounded like a fairly even game (certainly in the number of chances), but the difference being Vicente and LuaLua (Vicente, in particular, looks like a cracking player- you'd do well to keep hold of him!) I didn't think we'd get too much out of it, so I'm not majorly disappointed. Well, except for the fact that you beat us on my birthday, so thanks for ruining it 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

No problem at all as I believe there are such at every club in the land, so perhaps I am the one who should be apologising !

Yes, it is indeed a good time to be following Albion after all that has occurred over the past fifteen years or thereby

Best !

I don't buy all the "We are a massive club and we deserve this, this and this...." but it beats me how a club like Brighton who have been financially crippled for the past decade have managed such success without over doing it. They have spent sensibly on good NPC players and won't be shafted by any FFPP ruling or anything similair. Great time to be a BHA FC fan, especially now they've moved from the Withdean. Whats the difference? Do they have a better manager than us or have they used whats available to them more wisely?

I'd of been disappointed if someone had told me pre-season that we won't even be competing as well as Brighton and Hove Albion will be.

Yes they do have a better manager, but they've also got money and a chairman that loves the club.

Difference between the sides tonight was that they had Lua Lua and Vicente and we had Tyson and Robinson, neither of whom can trap a bag of sand.

We just dont create enough to deserve to win games, apart from set pieces where we did cause a few problems i think we had one chance from open play, which was quite nicely worked actually.

I went last night as the Amex is only 5 mins from me and i have to say that the Seagulls showed us what we are missing... incisive midfield players who are not afraid to pick the ball up and run at the opposition! Naylor got better as the game went on but was given little support against Lua Lua - who played well above his usual standard (not saying hes no good but he was given an awful lot of the ball last night probably due to tactics and targeting one of our younger players.) Vicente was also great but again doesn't usually play that well or that long!

What it showed to me was that we need someone in the middle of the park who is comfortable picking the ball up and running at the oppo.... now i have only been to two games this season and Bryson was missing both of these so he may be that man but to me it looked like the young lads didnt really know what to do with the ball in midfield and were always looking for the pass rather than trying to gain some yards and stretching the Albion defence. They ran through our midfield at times last night and i dont think i saw us doing that at all.... we looked hesitant on the ball and more often than not hoofed it up to try and use the pace of Theo or Tyson but asked too much of them both.... the opposite could be said of Brighton ... they used their pace and the pace of the ball to create spaces.

We need some quality in the midfield and take a little more time on the ball, pass it about and make space - i am not asking for tic tic Barcelona but at least the tic tic of Brighton and Hove Albion!

Get and experienced ball carrier in the middle of the park Cloughy...

final say... thought that we looked at our most dangerous when Bavies and Ball were on tbh... i know we created a few chances before hand but at least when Ball came on he held the ball up rather than us expecting the pace of T&T to chase no-hoper balls in the channels....

Rant over and tin hat on for work!

Bit of a reality check tonight up against a decent top 6 side. Season is over to all intents and purposes so it doesn't really matter but just hope the board realise that a summer of no signings will equal another season without real progress. Bored with the season now - wish we could play all our games over the next two weeks and get em done and dusted!

That's funny, because being a Brighton fan, I'd logically make the decision that some of our cards this season have been outrageously harsh. Tbh a lot of the referees who come down to the amex seem to bottle some games, but occasionally we get one for non-existant challenges...free kicks that were penalties..the list goes on.

Sadly, this makes Brighton look like a bunch of Mini-Vinnie-Jones' and it's quite annoying. Because it's unjust. The one where Ashley Barnes got sent off for jumping over a reckless tackle to avoid injury. It's pathetic really.

I acknowledge your opinion that we maybe labelled as hypocrites, but having said that, should some of your fans bitch about the referee, maybe you'll be the hypocrites lol...

Actually do you know what? West Ham started getting a load of red cards recently, and I haven't heard a peep from them about 'dirty' brighton. And a couple of those sendings-off weren't legit either.

Quality match experience fella apart from the result, I thought the ref bought one or two too many, having said that you deserved to win and had a couple of stand out players in Vincente and Lua Lua, I felt we should of scored in the second half, several headers whizzed just over the bar.

Standing out for me was the quality of the pies, and to be at a match with Hobgoblin as a guest beer was superb, also keeping the bar open until 2300 when the que for the train has died down is very sensible management.10/10 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/cool' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='B)' />

[url=http://twitpic.com/8z2c69]http://twitpic.com/8z2c69

[url=http://twitpic.com/8z1xzg]http://twitpic.com/8z1xzg

[url=http://twitpic.com/8z1e23]http://twitpic.com/8z1e23

Vote for the best/worst one folks 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

That's funny, because being a Brighton fan, I'd logically make the decision that some of our cards this season have been outrageously harsh. Tbh a lot of the referees who come down to the amex seem to bottle some games, but occasionally we get one for non-existant challenges...free kicks that were penalties..the list goes on.

Sadly, this makes Brighton look like a bunch of Mini-Vinnie-Jones' and it's quite annoying. Because it's unjust. The one where Ashley Barnes got sent off for jumping over a reckless tackle to avoid injury. It's pathetic really.

I acknowledge your opinion that we maybe labelled as hypocrites, but having said that, should some of your fans bitch about the referee, maybe you'll be the hypocrites lol...

Actually do you know what? West Ham started getting a load of red cards recently, and I haven't heard a peep from them about 'dirty' brighton. And a couple of those sendings-off weren't legit either.

Actually, now that you mention it, I do recall that game against Saints when you had one (or two?) men sent off, and conceded possibly the most ridiculous penalty I've ever seen, for a foul four or five yards out of the area. So who knows, maybe you have been harshly treated- our only red card this season shouldn't have been given, and no doubt many clubs will feel the same about theirs. Well done on the result last night anyway.

Better team won on the night as they had the edge where it was needed.

Concerning Brighton's disciplinary record, I think its a little harsh, some of the bookings and sendings off that I have seen, when featured on TV, did look a little bizarre at times.

I am glad you guys got your new stadium, as the saga over it was laughable, as it was all about politics and nothing to do with football. Your performance this year reminds me a little of when we moved into our new stadium and did pretty good.

Just make sure you beat Leeds or Leicester if they make the play-offs 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

4 clear cut chances to the Rams in the last few minutes and no reward. Sorry, top quality centre forward must go on the shopping list Mr Glick please.

Enough said, brought back down to earth after all the silly can we still make the play off talk.

4 clear cut chances to the Rams in the last few minutes and no reward. Sorry, top quality centre forward must go on the shopping list Mr Glick please.

Enough said, brought back down to earth after all the silly can we still make the play off talk.

Hardly 4 clear cut chances, 1 was definitely clear cut (think it was Hendrick that should have scored), the rest were just scrambles/headers from corners which werent easy.

Amazing what 5 or 6 years in football can do.. We had our own Spaniard in Idiakez, and we destroyed Brighton doing the double over them (3-0 at PP and 3-2 at The Whitdean), us finishing in the playoffs and them finsihing lower midtable.. Us playing on the deck passing football football with flair, them hoofing it. Us having the big stadium and riding a wave of excitement and momentum, them going nowhere in their shed...

Fast track 5 or 6 years and they've got a brand new spanking stadium that looks the dogs, a decent team with some excellent foreign players (especially a Spaniard) and them playing the attractive fooball, us well not so much, them spending $3mill on a striker alone, us spending $3 on a new defender.. They're now in a bubble and it must be really exciting times for Brighton fans, as for us, further consolidation and the Forest games are about as good as it gets..

Well and truelly overtaken by BHA..

We're not a hoofball team, if that's what you're alluding to.

They've done really, really well and I'm happy for them. After years of suffering they're finally enjoying some success. I question whether they will go up, and I question how long this bubble will last, but they should enjoy.

Ours will come too.

Amazing what 5 or 6 years in football can do.. We had our own Spaniard in Idiakez, and we destroyed Brighton doing the double over them (3-0 at PP and 3-2 at The Whitdean), us finishing in the playoffs and them finsihing lower midtable.. Us playing on the deck passing football football with flair, them hoofing it. Us having the big stadium and riding a wave of excitement and momentum, them going nowhere in their shed...

Fast track 5 or 6 years and they've got a brand new spanking stadium that looks the dogs, a decent team with some excellent foreign players (especially a Spaniard) and them playing the attractive fooball, us well not so much, them spending $3mill on a striker alone, us spending $3 on a new defender.. They're now in a bubble and it must be really exciting times for Brighton fans, as for us, further consolidation and the Forest games are about as good as it gets..

Well and truelly overtaken by BHA..

We've spent £2m on our first choice central defensive partnership, actually, and bloody good value for money they've been too (when fit, that is). I get your point about how they've spent and we haven't really, but you have to note the money spent on Barker and Shackell.

They're enjoying good times and have reasons to be cheerful (Ian Dury reference, there), with a new stadium and decent squad. Good for them, I say. I reckon we'll get there eventually, I just hope it's more gradual than you expect it to be.

Comment from a Brighton fan, mate of mine who went to the game last night:

[size=2][size=2]Derby[/size][/size][size=2][size=2] had a lot of possession in our half but seldom delivered good final balls into the box. I’ve definitely seen a lot worse teams down at the Amex this year.[/size][/size]

[size=2][size=2]Vicente put in a mouthwatering display, and almost scored one of the all-time great solo goals..can’t believe he plays for us. Lua Lua looked dangerous as well.[/size][/size]

Archived