Can we get promotion next season what will it take

Curtains

I can't se why we can't improve next year with 3-4 well thought out signings. That's why the appointment of a Director of Football/Football Director etc is very important. We know neither Glick or Nigel are the saviest of wheeler dealers so if we have someone who knows how to squeeze every penny out of the budget and can haggle properly with other clubs we might be able to get the full back cover, creative midfielder and the target man/No 9 we're crying out for...

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has not been steady progress though has it, what happened last season, we went backwards.

Who's to say that will not happen next season ?.

Backwards on points total but forwards in stability and getting rid of high earners that didn't give a **** about the club. Without clearing them out and getting some young, hungry players in we would not be where we are now.

I don't know why you can't accept that it was necessary to get rid of these players and we were never going to be competitive whilst overhauling the squad and massively reducing wages. We didn't get relegated and we are in a stronger position for it, so in my eyes it wasn't a step back just because the point total was down.

I appreciate that you didn't enjoy last season but to keep harping on about it in the effort to put a dampener on this season's undeniable improvement (both on and off the pitch) is frankly tedious.

The championship is a division in which a team can finish 2nd equal on points with an inferior goal difference and not be promoted along with the top 2, or 6th with ten or more points less and promoted via the play-offs. The team that finished 3rd has no better reward (except possibly in pride and finance) than the team which finishes 21st equal but with a 1 goal adavantage over a relegated team.

Even a brilliant summer signing could be injured in the first of the 46 games.

derby have shown themselves capable of beating the best on their day and losing to teams destined for the drop a few days later.

Of course we can be promoted, or relegated for that matter.

Derby will always have one of the best fan bases in the country who will cheer them on through the good and the bad games.

Often on player coming good can change a team. If we keep Frank and the Davies twins and most of the present first team, and get a real midfield general in the style of Dave Mackay, and are able to keep a settle dteam, I see no reason why we should not be great promotion prospects next seaon. And yes CLOUGH IN!

[Due to my age] that's what I call the "Stimac Effect"...

What Stimac showed was that the introduction of a decent player can galvanise the rest. Even on gaining promotion,most were apprehensive about that first game in the Prem against Leeds. A 3-3 draw was creditable and several players that some thought weren't up to div 1 went on to perform creditably in the top flight. You can never tell until the players are put to the test.

Yes we can get promotion next season, but we wont!

We need a top draw centre forward, a good £1.5 million upwards on one to get you 20 goals and then you're other striker to get you 10 goals (which we've got, Theooooo)

A creative midfield, someone in the role of Lallanna, our lack of creativity is worrying at times

A new right mid, another jamie ward would be nice, a tricky winger who can beat a man an willing to attack players.

A bit of luck with no major injuries.

And a new left back, Roberts is 34, and won't be playing much longer, good back up though, i'd love aidan white from leeds, looks like a top footballer!

----------------------Fielding--------------------

Brayford----Barker (OB)----Shackell---*New*

*New*-----------*New*-------Bryson-----Ward

---------------*New*--------Theo/Savies------

Has not been steady progress though has it, what happened last season, we went backwards.

Who's to say that will not happen next season ?.

With 5 or 6 games left we had nowt to play for and the team did exactly that, they stopped playing and we went in to free fall but were never really in danger of relegation in the final few games. I can't see this happening again despite considerable overhaul of the squad in Summer, at least I hope we continue to push on and land another dozen points or so.

Nobody can say exactly what will happen, otherwise we would all be off down the bookies with any savings we have, as it is I'll settle for a tenner on us challenging for play-offs next season.

We need a top draw centre forward, a good £1.5 million upwards on one to get you 20 goals and then you're other striker to get you 10 goals (which we've got, Theooooo)

A creative midfield, someone in the role of Lallanna, our lack of creativity is worrying at times

A new right mid, another jamie ward would be nice, a tricky winger who can beat a man an willing to attack players.

And a new left back, Roberts is 34, and won't be playing much longer, good back up though, i'd love aidan white from leeds, looks like a top footballer!

Not a fan of Savies (although I am still not sure why...I think it's "Hulse's syndrome") but given his return this season he could be the 20 goal striker- if he toughens up a bit! 8 in 19= 0. 42 per game. Over a season = 19.32 goals (I am sure you'll forgive the 0.68 goals short). He has just got to stay fit.

We got overrun far too many times in midfield this season already. If we play with two tricky wingers, a creative midfielder and Bryson, you may as well give up hope of ever winning the ball back in midfield. We either need a Eustace type central midfielder that can put the foot in, win the ball back and keep it simple or we need a striker that can hold the ball up (even if he only scores 5 goals) and we get the ball forward quickly, hold it up and play from there.

We got overrun far too many times in midfield this season already. If we play with two tricky wingers, a creative midfielder and Bryson, you may as well give up hope of ever winning the ball back in midfield. We either need a Eustace type central midfielder that can put the foot in, win the ball back and keep it simple or we need a striker that can hold the ball up (even if he only scores 5 goals) and we get the ball forward quickly, hold it up and play from there.

Reading played against barnsley with a front 2 of Roberts and Hunt, and two wingers of Kebe and McAnuff, both who i'd describe as tricky wingers with pace able to stretch the game

Reading played against barnsley with a front 2 of Roberts and Hunt, and two wingers of Kebe and McAnuff, both who i'd describe as tricky wingers with pace able to stretch the game

Yes, but Roberts holds the ball up very well and they play with Leigertewood in midfield who anchors the whole thing very very well. I have no problem with us playing two out and out wingers, but you have to balance the team up properly - like I said, by either having a proper defensive midfielder or a forward who holds the ball up (or preferably both).

this has been the poorest championship season for a while. with the teams that will come down out of QPR, Wolves, Bolton, Wigan, the league will be much stronger.

unless we splash out on a striker and a midfielder, then no chance.

This is said every year. Expect much of the same.

One player doesn't win the ball back you can do it as a team, well the the good ones do. Also we if we could keep the ball better we wouldnt have to get it back as much.

• Stop going a goal behind in the opening minutes.
  • Learn to score from corners (direct or indirect)
  • Play to the final whistle
  • Keep going forward
  • Score in the lsat 15 minutes
  • Don't bring on a sub for the last 20 seconds
  • Hang on to Franky and the Davies Twins
  • Build on what we've got
  • Buy, don't loan

That should be enough to be going on with!

One player doesn't win the ball back you can do it as a team, well the the good ones do. Also we if we could keep the ball better we wouldnt have to get it back as much.

Exactly, Swansea don't have a target man they just pass the ball very well, but I do agree that we do need a proper target man with a bit of beef, steve davies has been doing it this season and had a fair go at it, but it's fair to say it's not his preferred role, he'd prefer to be facing goal shooting from 25 yards out with a knockdown, thats why I thought if we got a new striker, he'd be a perfect partner for him

Archived