Can we get promotion next season what will it take

Curtains

Some people's quotes tend to contradict themselves in this thread..Jekyll knows who I mean..

but Hyde probably doesn't.

Not many of Cloughs side in the promotion year of 68/69 were proven first division class, same as now,

and replacing all 11 players is probably the most ridiculous statement ive read this year,

It may be best,, if you feel like this, that you go and 'support' a team with 11 premier players in it,

Stoke maybe ?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i think derby can get promation they have proved they are more than cable of being up there with the big boys. as long as we bring right type of players on frees or on normal fees, and there will be out goings i think chris mugire will be one of the players going at the end of the season and if portsmouth are still in bussiness i can see him going there, and i also see sual deeny going as he is really 3rd or 4th choice keeper.

I think we'll do very well to improve on this season next year, as much as I would love to think otherwise I think it'll be a summer of disappointed followed by a similar season, to this one.. full of ups and downs, boards out.. cloughs out... tits out!!

In the end, we'll finish around 15th, with Clough as manager, with glick spinning the negative feel and the same again.

Some people's quotes tend to contradict themselves in this thread..Jekyll knows who I mean..

Not many of Cloughs side in the promotion year of 68/69 were proven first division class, same as now,

and replacing all 11 players is probably the most ridiculous statement ive read this year,

It may be best,, if you feel like this, that you go and 'support' a team with 11 premier players in it,

Stoke maybe ?

Good point-if there'd been forums around I've no doubt Brian would have been crucified (prior to the signing of Carlin).Hinton was a woman,O'Hare was too slow,Durban was weak,McGovern was (take your pick from a long list).What Carlin showed was that the introduction of a decent player can galvanise the rest.Even on gaining promotion,most were apprehensive about that first game in the 1st division against Burnley.A 0-0 draw was creditable and several players that some thought weren't up to div 2 went on to perform creditably in the top flight.You can never tell until the players are put to the test.

(Before anyone points it out,I realise Brian didn't sign Durban)

Good point-if there'd been forums around I've no doubt Brian would have been crucified (prior to the signing of Carlin).Hinton was a woman,O'Hare was too slow,Durban was weak,McGovern was (take your pick from a long list).What Carlin showed was that the introduction of a decent player can galvanise the rest.Even on gaining promotion,most were apprehensive about that first game in the 1st division against Burnley.A 0-0 draw was creditable and several players that some thought weren't up to div 2 went on to perform creditably in the top flight.You can never tell until the players are put to the test.

(Before anyone points it out,I realise Brian didn't sign Durban)

Ah but, these were the days when husbands were allowed out to the pub (I'm not bitter) to discuss these things - a "forum" if you will

Ah but, these were the days when husbands were allowed out to the pub (I'm not bitter) to discuss these things - a "forum" if you will

Ah,and I can tell you that some of those lucky husbands wanted Brian out!

Going back to thread,I'd like to draw an analogy which will be understood by card players (particularly whist and its variants).I'd say that Nigel has consistently had to play a hand that contains a queen,a couple of jacks and some in the 6-10 range.As card players will know,this is an uninspiring hand,but good players tend to make a reasonable fist of it.I think Clough is a good player (Jewell's reaction was to sling the hand and call for a redeal).

If opponents were dealt a hand 46 times,the odds are that such hands would generally be better than the one dealt to Clough (or chosen by him under limited resources).However,introduce a couple of aces to Clough's hand and things change dramatically (again,as card players would know).Not a world beating hand,but definitely top 6 material.Your aces tend to promote the other cards and you've a much better chance of competing.On the other hand,if you introduce another queen and jack you'll get improvement,but not enough to make a significant difference.

So which cards is he likely to get?

Ah,and I can tell you that some of those lucky husbands wanted Brian out!

Going back to thread,I'd like to draw an analogy which will be understood by card players (particularly whist and its variants).I'd say that Nigel has consistently had to play a hand that contains a queen,a couple of jacks and some in the 6-10 range.As card players will know,this is an uninspiring hand,but good players tend to make a reasonable fist of it.I think Clough is a good player (Jewell's reaction was to sling the hand and call for a redeal).

If opponents were dealt a hand 46 times,the odds are that such hands would generally be better than the one dealt to Clough (or chosen by him under limited resources).However,introduce a couple of aces to Clough's hand and things change dramatically (again,as card players would know).Not a world beating hand,but definitely top 6 material.Your aces tend to promote the other cards and you've a much better chance of competing.On the other hand,if you introduce another queen and jack you'll get improvement,but not enough to make a significant difference.

So which cards is he likely to get?

ah, right, a) I don't play cards b)It is late and c) I am fairly drunk.

Stoke maybe ?

So how many of the present side are premiership standard IYO

None.

But thats often the way with a team who gets promoted.

THe key is to get a solid core of players at this level then add 2 or 3 quality players.

The other option is to chuck money at it like leicester and west ham, and rely less on team spirit and a core group, and rotate your squad lots because overall the players are better.

this has been the poorest championship season for a while. with the teams that will come down out of QPR, Wolves, Bolton, Wigan, the league will be much stronger.

unless we splash out on a striker and a midfielder, then no chance.

None of them are exactly tearing up trees at the moment and I dare say that they would all lose their best players should they get relegated. There is no reason to expect this division to be any stronger next year. If anything it may get worse as teams start preparing for FFP.

So how many of the present side are premiership standard IYO

Most of them could 'do a job' with the right leadership on the field

None.

But thats often the way with a team who gets promoted.

THe key is to get a solid core of players at this level then add 2 or 3 quality players.

The other option is to chuck money at it like leicester and west ham, and rely less on team spirit and a core group, and rotate your squad lots because overall the players are better.

I think Bob has answered your question.

We have a good nucleus of players, and are more likely to attract a 'leader' if and when we get promoted,

hopefully a player of a higher standard than of late (mentioning no names )

A 'Paul Scholes type' character would be a start, someone our players could look up to, and take

inspiration from.

Oh what i'd give for a Dave Mackay .. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

We could always get promoted via the play offs as many other sides have but we are a long way off having a side with enough quality to stay up. People compring this to 40 years ago and cloughie seniors team need their head testing. Most sides that go up do come straight back down and this year with 2 out of the 3 doing well is a bit of a freak but they have to follow it up agin next year. To be fair swanseas has been built on a philosophy implemented over a period of 5 odd seasons of patient passing football and lambert has had the midias touch ever since he went to Norwich.

We could always get promoted via the play offs as many other sides have but we are a long way off having a side with enough quality to stay up. People compring this to 40 years ago and cloughie seniors team need their head testing. Most sides that go up do come straight back down and this year with 2 out of the 3 doing well is a bit of a freak but they have to follow it up agin next year. To be fair swanseas has been built on a philosophy implemented over a period of 5 odd seasons of patient passing football and lambert has had the midias touch ever since he went to Norwich.

Has anyone said that the present team is better/equal to/worse than Brian's side? No,the argument was purely that Brian's side shows that you can never tell.It's all very well to talk of BC's lot with the benefit of hindsight,but I'd guarantee that if you'd suggested to fans that a team struggling at the wrong end of the table would contain so many eventual 1st division championship members, they'd have told you that you needed your head testing.

I still think we'll finish this season with 63 points (9th spot). As for next season, play offs it is then with a slightly improved points tally, up to 71 points next season.

Decent keeper, decent CB's, half decent midfield, still not happy about the striker options.

Slow steady progress, but that's what the men at the top have been saying since they arrived.

I still think we'll finish this season with 63 points (9th spot). As for next season, play offs it is then with a slightly improved points tally, up to 71 points next season.

Decent keeper, decent CB's, half decent midfield, still not happy about the striker options.

Slow steady progress, but that's what the men at the top have been saying since they arrived.

They must have arrived a year later than I thought,Donny!

Further to my last post,I've just found this in the directors' report attached to the 07/08 General Sports Derby UK Ltd accounts (this report was written after the appointment of Clough,as he's earlier mentioned within it):-

"The cost base of the club has been restructured in line with those of similar sized Championship clubs,but not to the detriment of the Club's ambition of returning to the Premier League by the end of 2009/10".

So,as I suspected,no mention of 5 or 10 year plans upon Clough's appointment.

Also found this in the same report:-

"The club failed to retain its Premier League status at the end of season 2007/08 but will benefit from the 'parachute' payments for both seasons 2008/09 and 2009/10.This funding will continue to allow the Board to manage and reduce the financial liabilities over this period,to the point where it is forecast that the only debt outstanding by August 2009 will be the Co-operative Bank plc loan of £15m which relates to Pride Park Stadium."

As I quoted from a published document in my last post,I'd like to point out that "This" (funding) didn't appear in bold text in the original document.

Has not been steady progress though has it, what happened last season, we went backwards.

Who's to say that will not happen next season ?.

Archived