Can we get promotion next season what will it take

Curtains

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the main problem we have had and why doom and gloom creeps in is because we have good runs and really bloody awful ones. If we were steady all season I think we wouldn't come in for half of the stick some fans give us.

Indeed.

It's just felt like 1 step forward and 2 back over the past 2 seasons at different times. The points tally/finishing position will be the best bearing of seeing if we have improved or not. Alot of people say we have nothing to play for but i'm quite excited to see if this team can finish off the season as they started and bag a very respectable position in the table.

We don't need Premier class players to get promoted- it's what you need after you are. Premier-class players play in the Premier, hence the term

Rubbish , you win the Championship with a team good enough to compete in the Premier, if not you end up with mm, say about eleven points.

So who precisely from the Norwich and Swansea promotion squads were 'Premier class' then? Barely anyone by my reckoning and they're both got considerably more than 11 points already.

You need to have players that have a chance of stepping up and hopefully pick up a few experienced prem players when you actually get there. The only way you'll get genuine prem-class players at this level is to get failed ones like Gunter, past-it ones like Kevin Phillips or you'll have to pay obscene wages like Nolan. None of which I am particularly desperate for us to start doing.

I would not say NONE of that team were good enough, but this lot now certainly are not,IMO, and I include Brayford , before someone says theythink he may be

The question of the thread is what it would take to get promoted?- you said a whole new team as none of our current players are premier class. You don't need to be as you have just proven by saying that none of ours were last time.

The answer is simple....we need a midfield. If we had one this season we'd be in the play-offs. A couple of additions in the summer with maybe a LB &CB and we'd be challenging, Think the youngsters coming through is promising as well. I'm looking forward to next season.

We need to not lose as many games, huge factor in the will they, won't they argument.

Not all about signings, rather about mentality at DCFC. Like somebody else said, we get into form and it's looking good. We fall out of form, then suddenly we're not sure when we could win another game.

Clough mentioned it on the radio, he'd like to lose less games with a few more wins or draws thrown in there. I'm sure we can all remember games we should have won or at least got a draw.

So we're looking closer to the play offs already, with a squad that is capable of doing that. A few additions is only going to support that.

No.

This "keep a clean sheet" attitude will hold us back.

If we purchase some midfield steel I think we might get somewhere. But we won't. And we'll continue to play negative football.

I loved the win over Forest, but I think these high spirits a lot of people are in are clouding vision.

More chance of relegation IMO.

What we do is go out there worrying about mistakes and losing. You watch how eager our team is to get behind the ball. With everyone so worried about our opponents it's no surprise watching us play without confidence. Too much pressure. Too much fear. It limits the players.

And for all this worrying, we don't draw. We don't keep a low GA coloumn either.

Forget the good attacking displays v Barnsley, Boro and such. The attacking displays where we looked solid at the back. Instead get 11 men "keeping it tight" and playing it into corners. Because that's worked so well!!

We have the players here to have a decent outside shot of the play offs. But they're scared. Okay, our balance in midfield is horrific. But individually none of them are poor really. And even with that poor balance we CAN still play well.

A change of mentality AND some balance in midfield would get me excited. I'm not miserable, I just haven't forgotten how things were looking before the Forest game.

And the phrase "we'll always take a scrappy win" should be banned from Derby. Billy Davies did all that. How did that end? Clearly Andy Garner needs to be told about our 11pts haul.

I'm not fussed. What's so great about getting to the Premier League, struggling to stay up each season and getting slated by Alan Hansen every Saturday night?

But whats so great about going nowhere, being beaten by Burnley and getting ignored (because we are not Leicester) by Steve Claridge every Saturday night?

We have great fans, a half decent team and there is something amazingly satisfying about not knowing what the result is going to be every time we can go into a game.

The truth is, there is no situation in which we will ultimately be completely happy. We dont have the base to do a Swansea or a Norwich (IMO). We may as well just sit back, see where Nigel takes us, admire Theo Robinson's amazing first touch and laugh at Forest.

But thats the kind of lacklustre philosophy which will get us nowhere. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

could i contradict myself so many times in one post?

I don't think he's the one who's making the rubbish points...imo.

Question,(presuming you are old enough )

How many of the Second Div promotion side under Brian Clough were First Div class ?, and most of them had never played in a higher league.

You don't get promotion and then try and get a side capable of staying up, you try go up with a side with a good chance of holding their own already.

I suppose thats rubbish?

No.

This "keep a clean sheet" attitude will hold us back.

If we purchase some midfield steel I think we might get somewhere. But we won't. And we'll continue to play negative football.

I loved the win over Forest, but I think these high spirits a lot of people are in are clouding vision.

More chance of relegation IMO.

We're 11th, I don't think it's high spirits from a 95th minute goal against one of the poorest teams in the division.

How many of the Second Div promotion side under Brian Clough were First Div class ?, and most of them had never played in a higher league.

You don't get promotion and then try and get a side capable of staying up, you try go up with a side with a good chance of holding their own already.

I suppose thats rubbish?

The title of the thread is asking what would it take to get promoted, not what would it take to get promoted and remain in the Prem. We got promoted with players that weren't prem class and got relegated because we didn't buy anyone prem class.

I suppose thats rubbish?

I have to be of a certain age to know what players we're in Brian Clough's derby side? You clearly haven't realised the full extent of the internet have you? (Theres a website called Google. Type Derby county into that...tells you all about derby county.)

Otherwise I think your general opinion is rubbish and have given up wasting the time reading your comments.

Who knows what Glick and co are thinking. Maybe after last season with all the promises that were made about signings etc. Maybe they tried and couldn't finalise things hence the thought of employing a Director of Football? They may have a modest sum available but by playing the cards close to their chests they avoid being called liars if things don't go their way. To be honest, none of us know what the closed season has in store for us- we might be sold for all we know!

Archived