Best of the Young Ones

sage

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

O'Brien for me will go the furthest.

Even in his first few games, shows the kind of bravery that will make him a leader. He'll only get better, and become a more cultured centre half rather than a bit of a hoofer.

He's lucky to have had Shackell alongside him. I think if Ball had a decent forward mentoring him on the field, he'd be up there too.

I would agree that Hendrick is the best of the young players at the minute and will make a top end Chpuinship player maybe bottom end Prem player if he keeps progressing and stays fit.

Bennett and Hughes have the potential to be the best of our youngsters and could go all the way, though they've both got a long way to go.

I think O'Btien and Ball will both end up being Div One players due to their lack of pace. Maybe Ball could go further if he improves massively in the air.

Doyle and Naylor both look like competent players who need to settle into a specific position and get some games.

Agree with some of this but I think that O.B is getting a bit underrated on this thread- He showed enough when played to suggest he can make it at this level and depending on how he improves (and bulks up) maybe higher. I agree that Ball will probably never amount to much.

Naylor sounded like he had a good game and will be looking forward to seeing him play, hopefully he can improve his interview technique on after match radio as well, bless him.

Surprised that you rate Doyle, I thought he would be one to watch but has done nothing to suggest that he is anywhere near good enough in my eyes, I bet he's wishing he had stayed at "college" in the US now.

Sadly for Me OB can be as brave but he doesn't have the natural football ability or pace for me to make it at a good level. Playing well for a few games doesn't prove much. I don't think he is as good as Steve Elliot or pablo mills were at that age. I don't think he will ever be cultured, he may improve his passing but if you haven't got it you haven't got it

Hendrick is definitely a cut above the rest. Am a fan of Ball and O'Brien but not in the same league as Hendrick. I feel he will go far.

As for Bennett, Doyle, Hughes etc don't feel we've really seen enough first team football of them to judge yet. Obviously have high hopes for Bennett and Hughes but anything could happen. I remember thinking Chris Riggott was gonna play for England and Giles Barnes would become a top premier league winger. How wrong I was

Some people are seriously over rating our young players, saying Hendrick and O'Brien will be playing regular Premier Leauge football is just ludicrous.

You look at some of the highly rated players at a similar age who've tried and failed. Giles Barnes was far, far better than any of the current batch at their age and look where he is now, same with Nyatanga, Tudgay, Camp and even Addison. You hear this same pony as soon as any of our youngsters play a few games in the first team and do alright.

Saw John Bostock playing in the JPT final today, stuck on loan at Swindon and he was one of the most highly rated youngsters in England not long ago.

What has Hendrick really got that suggests he's going to be a regular central midfielder in the Premier League? He's tidy in possession and works hard but that's about all he does, could make a fair Championship midfielder.

Some people are seriously over rating our young players, saying Hendrick and O'Brien will be playing regular Premier Leauge football is just ludicrous.

You look at some of the highly rated players at a similar age who've tried and failed. Giles Barnes was far, far better than any of the current batch at their age and look where he is now, same with Nyatanga, Tudgay, Camp and even Addison. You hear this same pony as soon as any of our youngsters play a few games in the first team and do alright.

Saw John Bostock playing in the JPT final today, stuck on loan at Swindon and he was one of the most highly rated youngsters in England not long ago.

What has Hendrick really got that suggests he's going to be a regular central midfielder in the Premier League? He's tidy in possession and works hard but that's about all he does, could make a fair Championship midfielder.

Only 1 poster said that. Try saying something positive for a change.

I'd agree saying that Hendrick is a cut above the rest, and will be a solid championship player, but i doubt he'll be anything more, you look at players which are better in the championship such as Whittingham, who is better then Henrick but still not getting head hunted by premiership teams.

O'Brien championship/League 1 player, same goes for Ball.

I'd be tempted to put Bennett in the team more then Ball, I think he's more a complete player, strong , quick and not bad in the air.

Said earlier, that Hendrick could play in the Premier League.

Unrealistic imo.

I said earlier, maybe bottom end, if he keeps progressing and stays injury free. So that's a maybe with 3 caveats. Don't let what I actually said worry you.

You never know with a youngster how they'll react to certain problems (mainly injuries) and also how much they can adapt their game...

When Nyatanga came through, he was a cultured, pass it from the back type of centre back who looked a confident lad destined for big things... He was Wales youngest ever starter (before Bale I think) and he looked the part..

He never really progressed and in the end went backwards.. Addison was meant to this dominant midfielder who'd be PL bound, Barnes was the next big thing outside of the PL and some of his perfomances during our promotion season were beyond NPC level..

Hendrick could be average for 8 or so years and then turn into the next Gareth Barry.. A cultured CM playing at the top level.. (he never really got 'good' until he was 27ish).. O'Brien could be the leader at the back of a midtable PL side (like Richard Dunne) or he could en up being the next Pablo Mills.. Ball could be average/poor for the next 10 years battling it out in League 2 at someone like Shrewsbury and the have an amazing 3 years and be in the PL (like Holt)

It's so difficult to predict who will peak at what ages and how high can they go.. Ipswich have produced many youngsters over the years but how many have made the real top? All of Darren Bent, Ambrose, Dyer, Bramble, Richard Wright etc.. were classified as 'top top youngsters in their respective position' yet none have ever played for a top top team.. Our youngsters that are breaking through aren't even recognised outside of Derby so I wouldn't be getting too excited yet.

Back to the original question I think Bennett will go the furthest.. I think he'll get a shot in the PL with a small team and be a similar player to someone like Jerome Thomas.. How he takes his chance will see whether he'll get a move to an established PL club or whether he'll be farmed out on loan to the NPC and then take the route of someone like Jobi McAnuff.

You never know with a youngster how they'll react to certain problems (mainly injuries) and also how much they can adapt their game...

When Nyatanga came through, he was a cultured, pass it from the back type of centre back who looked a confident lad destined for big things... He was Wales youngest ever starter (before Bale I think) and he looked the part..

He never really progressed and in the end went backwards.. Addison was meant to this dominant midfielder who'd be PL bound, Barnes was the next big thing outside of the PL and some of his perfomances during our promotion season were beyond NPC level..

Hendrick could be average for 8 or so years and then turn into the next Gareth Barry.. A cultured CM playing at the top level.. (he never really got 'good' until he was 27ish).. O'Brien could be the leader at the back of a midtable PL side (like Richard Dunne) or he could en up being the next Pablo Mills.. Ball could be average/poor for the next 10 years battling it out in League 2 at someone like Shrewsbury and the have an amazing 3 years and be in the PL (like Holt)

It's so difficult to predict who will peak at what ages and how high can they go.. Ipswich have produced many youngsters over the years but how many have made the real top? All of Darren Bent, Ambrose, Dyer, Bramble, Richard Wright etc.. were classified as 'top top youngsters in their respective position' yet none have ever played for a top top team.. Our youngsters that are breaking through aren't even recognised outside of Derby so I wouldn't be getting too excited yet.

I would agree with much of that, though Darren Bent as played at some decent clubs and has quite a few England caps.

I think it's easier to rule out certain players from progressing to a high level, such as Ball's and O'Brien's lack of pace will hold them back throughout their careers, than it is to say a player with many of the attributes required will definitely make it. Of the Ipswich players you mentioned Dyer would probably have been a top player with fewer injuries.

Archived