Ben Pringle

Day

DERBY County are closing in on a deal to sign Ilkeston Town midfielder Ben Pringle, who played a key role in the Robins' promotion to the Conference North.

The 20-year-old former West Bromwich trainee currently lives in the North-East and made a 350-mile round trip for home games at the New Manor Ground.

No fee has been fixed but a deal is understood to be on the cards in the next few days.

Former Ilkeston manager David Holdsworth brought Pringle to the club in the summer and he became a key part of the UniBond Premier side's success.

When Holdsworth joined Mansfield Town, the squad was taken over by senior players and coaches Paul Hurst and Rob Scott, who guided the club to promotion but are still waiting to learn whether they will be at the New Manor Ground next season.

Other clubs have expressed an interest in appointing the pair and Hurst said: "People are always interested in players who are successful. Chairmen will be interested in managers who have enjoyed success."

[url=http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/football/Robins-midfielder-Pringle-join-Rams/article-989759-detail/article.html]http://www.thisisnottingham.co.uk/football...il/article.html

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just found thee comments on a forum - interesting. sounds good

People will mock, people will joke. But I can tell you this lad is a cracking player, very energetic, box to box centre midfielder. Reminds me a lot of Paul Green, because of his energy levels, enthusiasm, consistency and hair!!!

He's being snapped up on a short-term contract and will play with our reserves/2nd year scholars in the new league we have applied to be in next season.

re: re: re: re: re: Ben Pringle ...

Ilsons right. I watched him when Eastwood played Ilson a few weeks back and he was outstanding. He was on a different level.

He's not signed yet.

It's alright signing people with potential, but dickinson had potential and went to pot, yes it can come good, but we also need the quality and experience in there, not just a team of kids with potential.

as we all know you dont win anything with kids,

and besides weve bought proven players, and its proved highly succesful, so why not get kids id give it a shot my football manager career has been made by only signing kids so why cant nigel if ive won countless european trophies why not!!

We have a base of a decent squad already, if Clough gets his targets we could be looking at:

Bywater

McEveley

Leacock

Addison

Barker

Croft

Savage

Green

Commons

Porter

Hulse

Price, Buxton, Brayford, Bennett, Connolly, Pearson, Davies, Teale, Barnes and Varney.

To me on paper that looks a good enough squad that will make positive steps forwards and move up the table, I will admit I'm slightly nervous with the young players coming in but I'am fully behind what Clough is doing at Derby.

perswonnally i think hes going after youth first cause they could be easier to sign where as older players are gonna haggle a bit more and rumors will come out later in the summer

but as i said im happy with youth for know a big unruly cb is needed

Jewell made some quality signings (Green, Commons, Hulse) and some duff ones (Varney, Ellington, Dickinson) its part and parcel of football, even Fergie makes the odd cock up and fans will criticise the manager whoever he signs. Would Jewell of got more stick for it? it would depend on how this season would of gone under his managment.

We're a club thats being rebuilded, it's going to be tedious being told each season that we're trying to make small steps but Clough is doing whats best for the club and starting with the foundations, we've seen what happens when you try and build to quickly with no foundations to support it.

Originally posted by BARRman;14674

perswonnally i think hes going after youth first cause they could be easier to sign where as older players are gonna haggle a bit more and rumors will come out later in the summer

but as i said im happy with youth for know a big unruly cb is needed

That is a fair point, perhaps he is waiting to clear a few out before he signs any of the higher paid players?

Archived