Vegetarians

uttoxram75

It's not a problem of dollar cost, but environmental. Farming animals for meat is incredibly energy consuming. Multiply that by the increasing population and it ends in doooooooooooooooom.

Maybe true, but the energy effiencency of livestock production has increased dramatically over the last 50 years. We're getting more meat out of less put into it. Just keep making gains, and that's not such a huge problem as the population part of it. The real point that needs to be made is we need to colonize the Moon and Mars and lessen population strain. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Was anyone else put off eating beef when mad cow disease was rife? I was, although the packaged end supermarket product was safe - it didn't take much for me to be put right off.

Plus, I love bacon, cremated at that - but I want to ask Rok, why do Americans put bacon on everything?

Was anyone else put off eating beef when mad cow disease was rife? I was, although the packaged end supermarket product was safe - it didn't take much for me to be put right off.

Plus, I love bacon, cremated at that - but I want to ask Rok, why do Americans put bacon on everything?

Because it's the king of greasy meat products, and Americans love greasy meat products. I mean seriously, you English don't put bacon on everything? That seems silly not to I guess.

We put it with some things, mainly the traditional fry up, or with burgers and chicken or just on it's own. Yum.

Maybe true, but the energy efficiency of livestock production has increased dramatically over the last 50 years. We're getting more meat out of less put into it. Just keep making gains, and that's not such a huge problem as the population part of it. The real point that needs to be made is we need to colonize the Moon and Mars and lessen population strain. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Livestock production has become much more efficient since WWII but it's just no where near able to keep up with the exponential population rise.

The only real solution is population control but governments seem actively opposed to doing anything about that.

Livestock production has become much more efficient since WWII but it's just no where near able to keep up with the exponential population rise.

The only real solution is population control but governments seem actively opposed to doing anything about that.

Not quite true. You'll find our population will start to diminish as the NHS is privatised over the next few years.

I can't really imagine free people being happy about that, no matter which side of the aisle.

Plus, the amount of meat that gets chucked by wasteful folk is scandalous. My mother used to cook a piece of pork on a Sunday (for 10 people) and it used to last 3 days and that included making me Dad's snap from it. Hands up people who still cook perfectly ok food from the fridge even though it's gone past it's UBD? I do. The only thing I'm a stickler for is chicken & eggs.

Too much waste happening nowadays.

If we start to engineer meat, corporations are still going overcharge for it. Not sure why that part matters.

It's not the overcharging it's the land taken up by us needing to keep animals to use as meat, much of this land is gathered by cutting down rainforests and then all the nutrients are taken out which means the rainforest cannot grow there again which is a serious problem

It's not the overcharging it's the land taken up by us needing to keep animals to use as meat, much of this land is gathered by cutting down rainforests and then all the nutrients are taken out which means the rainforest cannot grow there again which is a serious problem

Wow that's pretty dumb. Some rainforests are cut down to provide more livestock ground, but the majority of the world's livestock production doesn't come from the rainforest regions FYI. Come to America and you'll learn what type of land is generally used for big time, major livestock production. (Hint: It's a bunch of wide open grassland not much worthy of being used as farmland) I mean I admire your belief in saving the rainforest, but that's a very small thing in the big picture of livestock production. Besides why would you use very rich land for livestock? That's just a waste of farmland.

Population growth is a difficult problem to deal with, generally if you have better and more education, give women freedom over when they reproduce, have mass contraception and allow abortion then people will generally have less children. Population growth won't destroy us as famine will soon happen/ already happening, energy fights will break out soon, disease will become a bigger problem in the future as well. Population management when tried has been a disaster, tried in India mass protests and they had to stop, they are still trying it in China and they have gender misbalance, a child market and a rent a womb market.

.....and so the farmers just cut down more forests and the cycle begins again?

Archived