Has the football bubble popped and if so could re capitalise?

RotherhamRam

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone. If you pay them, they will come.

Of course as bris says, the board apologist eejits will say that any half decent signing will put us out of business.

Which poster has said one purchase will put us out of business and in what thread?

Still curious.

It has been said many times. In my first posting venture in this forum, I suggested that we need better players.

The respose was approximatly this:

"Duuur We will end up like Portsmouth or Rangers herpa derpa. We wont have a club any more duuur."

I'm not sure which thread it is on. I don't read every thread. All I know for certain is that I said we need better players and was told that basically that there would be no club left if that happened.

Someone above did say it will do something to a cart full of apples though.

I wouldn't say popped is the right word but the football bubble in this country it is certainly deflating. Not just in terms of financial difficulties but the crapness of our national team, the sliding standard of the Premiership and its ability to attract the top players to it.

I'm still perplexed as to who you are railing against. I don't recall anyone stating such a modest investment will cripple the club.

Going back to the original point of the thread, we could do what Spurs did to us with Huddlestone and exploit their situation. I'm sure Portsmouth and Rangers have players who could improve our team/squad. Given their situation, would the administrators be able to turn down another club loaning one of their players, so reducing their losses. There may be permanent bargain signings to be had.

I'm not sure which thread it is on. I don't read every thread. All I know for certain is that I said we need better players and was told that basically that there would be no club left if that happened.

Someone above did say it will do something to a cart full of apples though.

haha, made me laugh that.

I wouldn't say popped is the right word but the football bubble in this country it is certainly deflating. Not just in terms of financial difficulties but the crapness of our national team, the sliding standard of the Premiership and its ability to attract the top players to it.

Thanks for bringing it back to the point of the thread.

I am sure there are players at Portsmouth and Rangers that would improve our squad and if they are being made redundant then are we in a position with the wages to act on it. I should hope so.

In respect of I think Deano and the comment of going bust, I think he has got his wires crossed. I think it is fair to say we all want investment in the club but not at the expense of administration. I do not think anyone has said one player would cost us.

All I can say that's positive about the current football climate is that we'll end up in the "best of the rest" place in this league for a number of years.

The way I see it, a number of clubs will be in crisis, a number of clubs will be in austerity to meet FFP and others will be in FFP but won't compete with us on wages because their turnover will be smaller.

Then again, most boards will still back their managers with higher transfer fees than ours, so we won't be near the top.

Could be worse, could be better for us. Sums up the mediocre position of the club.

There will be another group, which is clubs who have been relegated from the Prem and have parachute payments giving them a much larger turnover and spending power, than other teams in the league have.

I would guess that this will lead to 6 to 9 teams in our division having a lot of financial clout (in-comparison to us) depending upon how well they utilise their parachute payments.

I'm still perplexed as to who you are railing against. I don't recall anyone stating such a modest investment will cripple the club.

Going back to the original point of the thread, we could do what Spurs did to us with Huddlestone and exploit their situation. I'm sure Portsmouth and Rangers have players who could improve our team/squad. Given their situation, would the administrators be able to turn down another club loaning one of their players, so reducing their losses. There may be permanent bargain signings to be had.

But ,surely,we're over wage budget? Weren't we told by Glick that we'd still be over budget ,even after offloading Pearson,Leacock and Bywater (and subsequently loaning Carroll).

Portsmouth and Rangers may well have decent players who would improve our squad,but they'd likely improve other teams' squads as well,so you're asking us to possibly compete on wages?

SISU and dodging bullets - that's one of the worries I have with the "sack the board" argument. Clearly the current owners have no interest in funding us that £1.5m striker - they're playing the long game and I think that will involve reducing costs and taking advantage of FFP when it eventually comes in.

Unless there's a backup plan for who will step in, you might get Mk 2 Amigos/SISU/Gaydamak/Chanrai or some other dodgy group of people step in and take up the slack. Plenty of examples of predatory people coming in to take advantage of football's easy access to debt.

I really do hope football's bubble is bursting, 'cos it's **** boring at the minute. If success boils down to how much you can spend, I think I'll take up golf.

'When' is still 'if'.

How exactly are we going to take advantage of FFP -I see this mentioned a lot,but I don't often see reasons given.As I've said before,our large turnover will only give us an advantage (against those clubs not in receipt of chute payments) if we actually spend near to the guidelines on players' wages (assuming others do as well).Nobody will convince me that we are currently spending anything near 60% of turnover,yet we're supposed to be over budget now.

Yes, but even Leicester may stop buying players eventually and let us buy one.

Did Glick really say that? Now that is a worry. I can't see what other slack there is to get rid of.

Knowing that Glick would probably have given him another flea in the ear if he'd asked directly about the current wage bill/budget,Gibson hatched a cunning plan by asking if offloading those 3 would bring us under budget.After a bit of waffling thinking time,the conclusion was that it wouldn't (he said something like they could save £500k,or they could save £1m).Shame Gibson didn't give him another prod by asking what the position would be if Green were to leave.

With reference to your last point,part savings on a lot of players' wages this year will translate into full year savings next year,so absolutely no excuses next year-"Judge us by our actions" part 2.Which signings,when added to this year's batch will transform a struggling 10/11 side into one which should be expected to be competing in the top 6?

I always found that the best way to deal with the fancy footwork,the feints,the step overs,was to keep the eye firmly fixed on the ball.

Knowing that Glick would probably have given him another flea in the ear if he'd asked directly about the current wage bill/budget,Gibson hatched a cunning plan by asking if offloading those 3 would bring us under budget.After a bit of waffling thinking time,the conclusion was that it wouldn't (he said something like they could save £500k,or they could save £1m).Shame Gibson didn't give him another prod by asking what the position would be if Green were to leave.

With reference to your last point,part savings on a lot of players' wages this year will translate into full year savings next year,so absolutely no excuses next year-"Judge us by our actions" part 2.Which signings,when added to this year's batch will transform a struggling 10/11 side into one which should be expected to be competing in the top 6?

I always found that the best way to deal with the fancy footwork,the feints,the step overs,was to keep the eye firmly fixed on the ball.

Does that mean you expect we'll have abit of spending power in the summer then Ramblur?

Sorry if you've already covered it elsewhere, I just have trouble reading all your numbers!

Does that mean you expect we'll have abit of spending power in the summer then Ramblur?

Sorry if you've already covered it elsewhere, I just have trouble reading all your numbers!

Not really,blackNwhites,all I'm saying is that there should be investment if we're expected to compete in top 6.Nothing changes,just the rather convenient excuse for not signing the players that Clough said were needed to mount a challenge this year won't apply next year (hence the reference to fancy footwork).

Archived