Has the football bubble popped and if so could re capitalise?

RotherhamRam

The football bubble seems to have popped or definately got a leak. I say this because of what is happening in respect of problems football clubs are experiencing.

Just to name a few

Darlington - Administration and fans keeping them going

Port Vale - Going to administration just to keep afloat

Coventry - Transfer ban due to late accounts which indicates financial issues

Birmingham - As above

Portsmouth - Getting their parachute payments but going straight to their owner (or is it exowner) may not be able to finish the season.

Rangers - Players being made redundant or playing for free or an instant 75% wage cut

Hearts - Late payment of wages

PNE - Couple of years ago Tax bill unpaid

Sheff Wed - As above plus issued a wind up order.

This is just a few I know about and no doubt there are more out there This concerns me as these clubs are established clubs and up to recently have not really had financial issues until these problems arose. Although this is bad I feel a bit more positive about the Boards decisions - although not happy we have had to make these choices. I say this with out history of administration, financial fraud, large debts I would have expected ourselves to be on this list to be fair.

Although this pattern of financial issues are starting to creep into our game can we benefit from this. The interesting ones for me are Portsmouth and especially Rangers and then possibly Cov and Birmingham. Does anyone know the rule on players being made redundant, are they then deemed free agents and if so as they unattached are they able to be signed by clubs now that loan and transfer windows are closed or do we have to wait until transfer window opens. If players are redundant or taking big pay cuts could we capatalise on players and sign some sneaky ones as players will want employment and players we would not normally be able to afford may opt to fall into our pay structure as having a job is better than no job.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't know shef wed were in trouble, would hav thought that the winding up order given to them this time LY would have been a warning.

Birmingham did announce pre their embargo that the accounts were going to be end April.

Not sure there is anything new here, clubs have been in this situation every year

Not really, there are still clubs pushing the boat out, there will always be some clubs in trouble (Portsmouth etc.) Some throwing money at it (Leicester etc.) and some that are just treading water (guess who).

Pompey - Small club paying people 40k+ a week plus huge transfer fees.. No suprises

Rangers - Huge transfer fees, large wages, poor in Europe for years, no Sky money = inevitable debt.

Darlington - 4th division side spending over $20mill on a new stadium which they never fill = inevitable debt

Coventry - Continually sacking their managers plus not youth development plus a pointless new stadium which cost around $25mill = inevitable + obvious debt

Birmingham - late accounts (probably a mistake) nowhere near a 'dire situation' still spend, have far more chance of PL football than us.

Port Vale - I don't know the reasons..Overspending? Who knows, but the others 40 odd league clubs down there don't have such problems.

Hearts - Erm.. A rich chairman who sacks managers at will, picks his own team, buys his own players, many foreign imports on big wages, high transfer fees = inevitable debt

PNE and Sheff Wed - Sacking managers left right and centre, many players coming through, both lack decent academys, both borrowed big sums trying to make the promise land and failed.. They're nowhere near 'going under' and probably look at administration as an easy way of clearing debts

All of these examples are easily explainable.. And looking at their past history some of the decisions are just plain stupid..

We can spend money, we can get into debt.. This stupid 'scare-mongering' is another way of owners who aren't interested in investing simply turning heads..

We don't want to be like Coventry or Pompey.. Well really? I don't see anyone asking for us to be building a new $25mill stadium, or buying players from all over the world for $10mill each and paying them $40k+ a week..

Reading, WHU, Brum, Boro, Leicester, Brighton, Hull, Southampton, Cardiff, Blackpool, Burnley and Leeds Utd ect.. All have the ability to spend money and none of them are even close to that of Pompeys current plight.. Derby County can spend $5mill in the summer and nothing would happen, nothing.. We won't all of a sudden be out of business.. How the feck can spending more than $1.5mill on a striker put our club in danger, seriously it's laughable how people lap this **** up..

So ridiculous is the scare mongering..

Yeh, We're a club with a wage bill of under $10mill, with one of the highest revenue streams through sponsors and gate reciepts, and with a debt that's only put up against the mortgage of the stadium..

But guys, if we spend the $2mill in the summer on a decent striker, we'll all of a sudden have a wage bill of $17mill a year, debts of $60mill + and our general income will go down by about 50% to an 'unstable' level..

We simply can't do it, that $2mill pound striker could put us out of business.

Feckin pathetic.

Coventry - Continually sacking their managers plus not youth development plus a pointless new stadium which cost around $25mill = inevitable + obvious debt.

Birmingham - late accounts (probably a mistake) nowhere near a 'dire situation' still spend, have far more chance of PL football than us.

Coventry - Continually sacking their managers plus not youth development plus a pointless new stadium which cost around $25mill = inevitable + obvious debt - SISU and issues with future finance - think we dodged a bullet there....

Birmingham - late accounts (probably a mistake) nowhere near a 'dire situation' still spend, have far more chance of PL football than us. - no mistake - due to their owner being arrested for dodgy dealings

SISU and dodging bullets - that's one of the worries I have with the "sack the board" argument. Clearly the current owners have no interest in funding us that £1.5m striker - they're playing the long game and I think that will involve reducing costs and taking advantage of FFP when it eventually comes in.

Unless there's a backup plan for who will step in, you might get Mk 2 Amigos/SISU/Gaydamak/Chanrai or some other dodgy group of people step in and take up the slack. Plenty of examples of predatory people coming in to take advantage of football's easy access to debt.

I really do hope football's bubble is bursting, 'cos it's **** boring at the minute. If success boils down to how much you can spend, I think I'll take up golf.

Which striker? Which one will come to us?

Anyone. If you pay them, they will come.

Of course as bris says, the board apologist eejits will say that any half decent signing will put us out of business.

Anyone. If you pay them, they will come.

Of course as bris says, the board apologist eejits will say that any half decent signing will put us out of business.

Pay them, upset the apple cart, lose a lot of apples?

Which striker though? Nobody seems to know, unless Bris can help us out with his scouting knowledge?

All I can say that's positive about the current football climate is that we'll end up in the "best of the rest" place in this league for a number of years.

The way I see it, a number of clubs will be in crisis, a number of clubs will be in austerity to meet FFP and others will be in FFP but won't compete with us on wages because their turnover will be smaller.

Then again, most boards will still back their managers with higher transfer fees than ours, so we won't be near the top.

Could be worse, could be better for us. Sums up the mediocre position of the club.

Pay them, upset the apple cart, lose a lot of apples?

Which striker though? Nobody seems to know, unless Bris can help us out with his scouting knowledge?

Why do you need a name? Can't you imagine one single striker that would improve our super strong front line?

Archived