1 Year Anniversary

Bris Vegas

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tuesday 31st Jan - 2 goals against Barnsley. It's only the 4 games in February where we've failed to score, no big deal. Also not winning since 14th Jan (7 games without a win and only 2 draws in that time) is not a big deal. You are all just looking at ways of beating Nigel with a stick. So it's the 3rd time this season we've gone on a streak of not winning in 5 or more games, last season we went on 4 streaks of not winning in 5 or more games and we went 9 games at one time that season. Surely this is progress and shows how great Nigel is. The last season we went without a winless streak of 5 or more games you have to go back to that rubbish Paul Jewell.

Look it's not Nigel's fault, it's the boards, it's Jewells, it's the players, it's the mystery man on the grassy knoll, it's more inclement weather whilst he's been manager, the ball has changed, the ball boys aren't as good, his dog ate his tactic sheets, etc

Tuesday 31st Jan - 2 goals against Barnsley. It's only the 4 games in February where we've failed to score, no big deal. Also not winning since 14th Jan (7 games without a win and only 2 draws in that time) is not a big deal. You are all just looking at ways of beating Nigel with a stick. So it's the 3rd time this season we've gone on a streak of not winning in 5 or more games, last season we went on 4 streaks of not winning in 5 or more games and we went 9 games at one time that season. Surely this is progress and shows how great Nigel is. The last season we went without a winless streak of 5 or more games you have to go back to that rubbish Paul Jewell.

Look it's not Nigel's fault, it's the boards, it's Jewells, it's the players, it's the mystery man on the grassy knoll, it's more inclement weather whilst he's been manager, the ball has changed, the ball boys aren't as good, his dog ate his tactic sheets, etc

Has anyone directly said that Clough isn't to blame at all for this? If they have I'd be happy to challenge them on it.

There's a difference between not thinking he should necessarily be replaced right now and thinking he's blameless for some of our poor performances.

As usual, we seem to be only able to split supporters into 'Clough lovers' and 'Clough haters', rather than just say it how it is. The amount of times I've written a post with pros and cons of Nigel Clough, and been told that I'm up his arse is unbelievable.

I dnt dislike Nigel, not at all, BUT what I do dislike is his negativity, his BORING football approach, has a match winner like bueno in on loan and slags him off, has a player who likes to beat a man in cywka so clough gets rid, he has a tough ball winner in Addison so clough gets rid,

He has a headless chicken up front, a bloke who is always injured and catch trap wind, a 19 year old who isn't ready for the champ YET, and a lazy arse with a cracked head!!

Defence wise it's ok, midfield gets over ran EVERY week, and poor attack, yeah people say build from the back but look at posh, attack attack attack, more people would rather have exciting 4-3s than boring 1-0s where we hardly even shoot!!

I remember when we had a bad run and used to think someone is gonna be on the end of a derby thumping.... Can anyone see that happening with this squad?? No not at all, far to much negativity for my liking!

To be fair to Mr Bris, it was still March 1st in his part of the World. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Was it? Ok then. I stand corrected, carry on Bris. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> I was just thinking if it's the 2nd I've deliberatley forgot my sisters birthday. Ah well. Ni mind, I've just saved meself a coupla quid 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Has anyone directly said that Clough isn't to blame at all for this? If they have I'd be happy to challenge them on it.

There's a difference between not thinking he should necessarily be replaced right now and thinking he's blameless for some of our poor performances.

As usual, we seem to be only able to split supporters into 'Clough lovers' and 'Clough haters', rather than just say it how it is. The amount of times I've written a post with pros and cons of Nigel Clough, and been told that I'm up his arse is unbelievable.

Loads of people say that Nigel isn't to blame for it and that he is in fact doing a good job under the circumstances. Many a person on here has said that nobody else could do better under the conditions he's had to work in.

Your stance is perfectly reasonable, I'm not trying to put anyone in any category. I would say that your 'devil the better you know' attitude is probably one shared by a number of people. People want success, they want entertainment but replacing the manager is a gamble. What if we get worse and end up going down under someone else? Is it not better to stay with what we have for a while longer and see(hope). I was in that category last season. I hoped that the signings in the summer would push us on and we'd be top half of the table, but yet again some early promise has been followed by a few winless streaks, by a lack of goals and attacking threat, by bizarre tactics and formations, by more of his own signings suddenly dropped into obscurity.

I for one would take the risk, just as I want Nigel to take a few risks during a game. Why not give it a try. I'd prefer to pay Nigel off than give that money to him for him to buy more players to play in the reserves or be sold the next season.

We're too scared to spend a little, too scared to change the manager, too scared to attack during a game, too scared about what might be that we're becoming content with mediocracy, no actually below mediocracy.

Wonder what it'd be like if everyone had nothing to moan about...

Unthinkable...we'd all feel the collective shudder if that day ever came! No reason to worry yet though, there's plenty to be going on with.

Can't decide if I want us to win 1-0 playing badly tomorrow or knock it around whilst losing 6-3. Might start a thread to see...

Loads of people say that Nigel isn't to blame for it and that he is in fact doing a good job under the circumstances. Many a person on here has said that nobody else could do better under the conditions he's had to work in.

Your stance is perfectly reasonable, I'm not trying to put anyone in any category. I would say that your 'devil the better you know' attitude is probably one shared by a number of people. People want success, they want entertainment but replacing the manager is a gamble. What if we get worse and end up going down under someone else? Is it not better to stay with what we have for a while longer and see(hope). I was in that category last season. I hoped that the signings in the summer would push us on and we'd be top half of the table, but yet again some early promise has been followed by a few winless streaks, by a lack of goals and attacking threat, by bizarre tactics and formations, by more of his own signings suddenly dropped into obscurity.

I for one would take the risk, just as I want Nigel to take a few risks during a game. Why not give it a try. I'd prefer to pay Nigel off than give that money to him for him to buy more players to play in the reserves or be sold the next season.

We're too scared to spend a little, too scared to change the manager, too scared to attack during a game, too scared about what might be that we're becoming content with mediocracy, no actually below mediocracy.

Who would be your top three to replace him if that were to happen?

I think, in a very roundabout way, we're on the same page.

I'd be up for a change - up the wages for a better manager, a more proven manager, that will get us playing better football. I'm just resigned to the fact it won't happen.

I'm not up for another unproven manager, because I don't see how that's any different. This situation needs someone with experience, which in turn costs money - so I think it's a bit of a vicious circle. If we can only attract a manager with no experience at this level, or an outstanding record in the lower leagues, then I don't think we should change.

With regard to him doing a good or job or not, that's a matter of opinion, and as you said to me, your viewpoint is perfectly reasonable and I see what you're saying. Alot of it comes down to individuals expectations, which is why so many disagree - and is why we have a forum like this. In my opinion any manager of his calibre (which is all we could probably afford to attract) would struggle to do a better job. It was never going to be a 'bring us success in 3 years' kind of gig. But I see the pitfalls and where he's gone wrong, and I get where you're coming from.

The single most important thing to me is that whoever did replace him carried on bringing youth players through. If that were to happen, I'd be open to changing it up.

Was it? Ok then. I stand corrected, carry on Bris. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> I was just thinking if it's the 2nd I've deliberatley forgot my sisters birthday. Ah well. Ni mind, I've just saved meself a coupla quid 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Is this the one year anniversary since you last forgot your sister's birthday? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

I think, in a very roundabout way, we're on the same page.

I'd be up for a change - up the wages for a better manager, a more proven manager, that will get us playing better football. I'm just resigned to the fact it won't happen.

I'm not up for another unproven manager, because I don't see how that's any different. This situation needs someone with experience, which in turn costs money - so I think it's a bit of a vicious circle. If we can only attract a manager with no experience at this level, or an outstanding record in the lower leagues, then I don't think we should change.

With regard to him doing a good or job or not, that's a matter of opinion, and as you said to me, your viewpoint is perfectly reasonable and I see what you're saying. Alot of it comes down to individuals expectations, which is why so many disagree - and is why we have a forum like this. In my opinion any manager of his calibre (which is all we could probably afford to attract) would struggle to do a better job. It was never going to be a 'bring us success in 3 years' kind of gig. But I see the pitfalls and where he's gone wrong, and I get where you're coming from.

The single most important thing to me is that whoever did replace him carried on bringing youth players through. If that were to happen, I'd be open to changing it up.

That's a fair comment. I would gladly show Clough the door right now, but the great unknown is what would the board do in that situation? I'm not convinced they would make a good decision, so is it a case of better the devil you know in terms of keeping a negative, mediocre manager.

I always think it's silly when people ask who would you replace Clough with, as it's irrelevant really. We don't know what the board are willing to offer a manager, or who is even available and would the club be willing to buy them out of their contract if their first choice was employed by another club? Who would be even willing to come to manage us.

Too many unknowns to begin speculating upon.

I can't wait for a late goal v Blackpool, then you can launch a 'how long since we scored a alate goal on a Sarurday at Pride Park'.

What else have got to look forward to 'last late goal by a header' last late goal scored by a full back' 'last late goal scored by a Capricorn'

Sorry Sage, I'm still suffering from all of those 'I told you so' posts..

I'd love nothing more than a late winner against Blackpool, whether it was scored by a Capricorn and a coffee cup.. You know what would make my day, if Jake Buxton pops up on the end of a Craig Bryson/Tom Carroll/Jeff Hendrick (Whichever CM is played out of position on the right) cross and gets us that illusive late win I've been waiting for for about 3 years.

I'm picturing it now.

Sorry Sage, I'm still suffering from all of those 'I told you so' posts..

I'd love nothing more than a late winner against Blackpool, whether it was scored by a Capricorn and a coffee cup.. You know what would make my day, if Jake Buxton pops up on the end of a Craig Bryson/Tom Carroll/Jeff Hendrick (Whichever CM is played out of position on the right) cross and gets us that illusive late win I've been waiting for for about 3 years.

I'm picturing it now.

I'd probably just take a win.

Archived