Current feelings?

WilkoRam

Current feelings?  

88 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To succeed in this league, we have to play to our strengths. We are trying to pass the ball into the net, our player's can't do that, they're not quick enough or skilful enough. The Leicester game was a prime example, first half we tried to pass it into the middle and were crowded off the ball due to lack of physical presence and intelligence.

Second half, we got out wide and tried to cross, and we looked the better side. Why Clough can't see that we look more of a threat when we play like this is beyond me. I agree that we're not far off being a decent side, we need a striker and a centre mid and another winger, and cover in defence. Closest we've been for a while for sure.

I just wish the board would take a risk, and Clough would just realise that you've got to combine pretty football with a killer instinct to win games consistently. Think I will renew for next season, I wasn't sure but got to be optimistic for once! COYR

I don't think we're making any progress to talk of but I'm happy to remain a Derby fan thanks - rather than Rangers, Portsmouth and others on the brink.

This sin't directed at you Wilko just an observation in general

Signing good players doesn't really make a manager good in the transfer market.. Signed really good players that take us from one level to another is being good in the transfer market..

People bang about NC having 'proof' of really good signings and the things he could do with money.. Erm. Out of our better signings Fielding, Brayford, Barker, Shackell, Bryson, Ward, Robinson, Bailey etc etc.. How many of these are even close to being a top 6 player? How many of these have pushed us from lower midtable/relegation to uppermidtable/playoff material..

A good signing is bringing in a player that improves you and takes you somewhere.. Under GB Idiakez, Bisgaard, Smith, Rasiak etc. took us to a new level. Under BD Howard, Jones, Oakley, Leacock etc. took us to a new level.

None of Nigel Cloughs signings have taken us to a new level.. And the level before this lot was hardly pulling up any trees.. His best signings have only been 'good' at best and the majority have been average and below.. He's yet to make a signing in the same class as GB and BD.. even PJs best signing outweighs NCs best signing (Commons for Ward) though PJ made far more mistakes than NC did.

I still laugh at how people bang on about Shaun Barker people an amazing signing.. $1mill for a defender who isn't even at the level as Darren Moore and Dean Leacock were.. And how much did them two cost? I mentioned him many times before (and got laughed at) but Gorkss is far better and has proved it with QPR and Reading.. He was available for half the price of Barker.

Fella I am in no way trying to say he has a good transfer record. I see it very much that we've lost average expensive players and replaced them (on the whole) with average cheaper players. I would say that our defence is probably the only place we look any better. I think Fielding is a great young keeper and Brayford, Shackell and Barker and even at a push Roberts give us a solid base. But that's it, I don't see any of our other players getting into many top 6 or even top half teams. Bailey has promise, Ward I think probably looks better than he is due to a lack of anything else creative in our side. That or he doesn't look as good as he can be due to the dross around him.

To sum up I think Nigel is poor at spotting transfer targets for us. In general out of 26 signings I would say 5 or 6 have been of a standard that have improved us.

Yet the general perception amongst fans is that he's been successful in the transfer market,due to signing 2 decent center halves.

Amazing really.

It's a good job we're here to put them right 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

One of the few points I held in favour of Clough was his signings, but when you look at it closely, big cracks appear! I cannot give the man credit for getting rid of the players he inherited. What he should be judged on is how he has replaced them and if they are as good if not better. Someone like Maguire could be a great signing, however sitting in the reserves at the price we paid makes him an awful waste. With the amount of time Clough spent chasing him, you would think Clough would have noticed the so called flaws in his game. Flaws that Clough refuses to play him for until he changes. Perhaps Robinson should be dropped until he learns to control a football.

That said. I still think that the players Clough has at his disposal are capable of playing far better football than currently seen. Youngsters may well be inconsistent, i don't see that being the problem. Derby are consistantly dull. Nothing that Clough has said of late has inspired me to think that Derby will do anything else this season but be dull.

Wasn't Hendrie just taken to get rid of someone else on a longer contract?

Jordan Stewart. Signing Hendrie saved us money, got rid of a really really crap player and gave a bit of cover in midfield for a few games.

Archived