Best FA Cup Final

Brammie Steve

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always remember Arsenal beating Manyoo 3-2 with a last minute goal....80's was it? Without looking it up I think United had come back from 2-0 down only for Alan Sunderland (must have been late 70's or early 80's as I've just remembered his big hair), to score the winner.

I watched it with some manyoo supporting friends............ 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

As a kid I remember the Cup final days well.

The build up on BBC and ITV started at 9.00am with ridiculous fans competitions, the road to wembley, giant killing, famous fans of the two teams, hours and hours of it, the players boarding their coaches, the players on the coach, the players getting off the coach, (the coach was a broadminded chap!), all stretched out until the teams came on the pitch, Abide With Me sung by the whole crowd and me - and me dad- then The Duchess of Kent and some northern chairman of the FA trying to act posh shaking hands with the players.

Ah, memories, Chelsea v Leeds, went to a replay after a Gary Sprake howler, (one of the dirtiest games of all time), Liverpool v Arsenal (Charlie George lying flat on his back after scoring the winner), The Leeds v Sunderland one as mentioned in the op.

Its very strange but I can remember details of these matches better than I can of the last 4 or 5 cup finals.

Only came across this fact t'other day, but the most famous Cup final of all time - 1923, first Cup Final at the new Wembley Stadium (the white horse final) between West Ham and Bolton - could have been the Rams. West Ham beat us in the semi-final 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> Apparently we were favourites to win the cup that year as well....

The 1923 FA Cup Final was a football match between Bolton Wanderers and West Ham United on 28 April 1923 at the original Wembley Stadium in London. The showpiece match of English football's primary cup competition, the Football Association Challenge Cup (better known as the FA Cup), it was the first football match to be played at Wembley Stadium. King George V was in attendance to present the trophy to the winning team.

Each team had progressed through five rounds to reach the final. Bolton Wanderers won 1–0 in every round from the third onwards, and David Jack scored the lone goal each time. West Ham United faced opposition from the Second Division or lower in each round, the first time this had occurred since the introduction of multiple divisions in the Football League. West Ham took three attempts to defeat Southampton in the fourth round but then easily defeated Derby County in the semi-final, scoring five goals.

The final was preceded by chaotic scenes as vast crowds surged into the stadium, far exceeding its official capacity of approximately 125,000. A crowd estimated at up to 300,000 gained entrance and the terraces overflowed, with the result that spectators found their way into the area around the pitch and even onto the playing area itself. Mounted policemen, including one on a light-coloured horse which became the defining image of the day, had to be brought in to clear the crowds from the pitch to allow the match to take place. The match began 45 minutes late as crowds stood around the perimeter of the pitch. Although West Ham started strongly, Bolton proved the dominant team for most of the match and won 2–0. David Jack scored a goal two minutes after the start of the match and Jack Smith added a controversial second goal during the second half. The pre-match events prompted discussion in the House of Commons and led to the introduction of a number of safety measures for future finals. The match is often referred to as the "White Horse Final" and is commemorated by the White Horse Bridge at the new Wembley Stadium.

Archived