My opinion.

SillyBilly

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Football is a funny creature, or rather sport in general. Can you think of any other entertainment where you would willingly part with your cash, week in week out, in the knowledge that 9 times out of 10 you wouldn't be entertained and leave in a worse mood than you went?

Maybe that's the reason there's growing unrest amongst the fans. Maybe it's me but I would prefer to be in our league position or even lower if I was entertained on a regular basis. Results aren't the key to entertainment. How many times does team get you off your seat or even to that hover stage where you start to get up as you see there may be something about to happen and you're left in a crouch position until it does or doesn't occur. How many times do we play a ball, make a tackle, take someone on or anything else that gives you that buzz? How many times are you entertained during the 90mins? How often do you get the buzz before a game?

For me the current board/manager combo aren't ruining us in terms of relegation or bankruptcy but they are ruining us in terms of entertainment. And entertainment is why people got into football in the first place, if all games we're like our games then football wouldn't be our most popular sport. The club has a duty to entertain the fans, to give a reason for new fans to want to start supporting Derby and for the current fans to still want to go to games and to be excited about it.

Football is a funny creature, or rather sport in general. Can you think of any other entertainment where you would willingly part with your cash, week in week out, in the knowledge that 9 times out of 10 you wouldn't be entertained and leave in a worse mood than you went?

Maybe that's the reason there's growing unrest amongst the fans. Maybe it's me but I would prefer to be in our league position or even lower if I was entertained on a regular basis. Results aren't the key to entertainment. How many times does team get you off your seat or even to that hover stage where you start to get up as you see there may be something about to happen and you're left in a crouch position until it does or doesn't occur. How many times do we play a ball, make a tackle, take someone on or anything else that gives you that buzz? How many times are you entertained during the 90mins? How often do you get the buzz before a game?

For me the current board/manager combo aren't ruining us in terms of relegation or bankruptcy but they are ruining us in terms of entertainment. And entertainment is why people got into football in the first place, if all games we're like our games then football wouldn't be our most popular sport. The club has a duty to entertain the fans, to give a reason for new fans to want to start supporting Derby and for the current fans to still want to go to games and to be excited about it.

Fair points, but how is this entertainment any worse than what we've been served up post-Jim Smith, apart from the Burley playoff season? Under Billy Davies we often played rubbish stuff. Would you prefer that we were a lot worse so we had the thrill of a relegation fight? Bring back Phil Brown and Deano.

I feel sorry for the young uns, by the time I'd reached my lads age I'd seen us beat a Man U including Best and Charlton in a cup final, a second division title, beat the reigning double winners 5-0, Benfica 3-0, a European cup semi final, 2 league titles, a charity shield, beat RAIL Madrid, an FA cup semi final.

All he's had is a dodgy Wembley play off win, followed by that mare of a season, and all he's got to look forward to is another 5 years of Scrooge and Crachitt.

As long as we played with some sort of attacking threat, some desire to create chances and entertain the crowd then I'd take a relegation fight. At the moment we're just dull, the play is dull and uninventive, we end up 'safe' and mid table. That should be the clubs mantra "playing it safe - on and off the pitch."

As long as we played with some sort of attacking threat, some desire to create chances and entertain the crowd then I'd take a relegation fight. At the moment we're just dull, the play is dull and uninventive, we end up 'safe' and mid table. That should be the clubs mantra "playing it safe - on and off the pitch."

You want the moon on a stick. This is the first time we've ended up safe since Jim Smith apart for the 2 Billy/Burley seasons.

I think SillyBilly out does even YoungRam's 'falling out of love with derby" thread for melodrama. Don't go to the matches if you don't wanna, but surely the club haven't killed your lifeblood so much that you can't even post of this forum anymore. What else are you gonna do? Stop eating Black and White food and self combust if you ever here reference to the Merseyside derby, or the Derby horse race.

As another poster pointed out, where was all this melon collie and infinte sadness way back in, erm, late January where we had just drawn away at promotion chasing Barnsley and had 19 out of 21 points and were on the edge of the playoffs. 1 point from two winnable away games, then 3 defeats in tough games and the world is over.

Man up you babbies. This is the 3rd best season we've had since the 90s. This is the least broke season we've had since the bald eagle flew. This is the first time we've brought a few good youngsters through the ranks I can remember/ever. Clough bleeds Derby.

Whose turn is it to post this rubbish again when we lose to Brum on Saturday? I blame the internet. Back in the day such opinions would be laughed out the pub. Or you wouldn't know anyone to spout them too. In cyberspace, everyone can here you scream. Alas.

Don't talk wet and don't speculate as to why I feel the need to stop posting- you are about as far from the mark as you could be. As for your dim-witted rebuke- no quite frankly, I'll continue as before.

Providing I'm on the money with my phonetics the "melancholy" you refer to has been around for the most part of Clough's reign (for me), though admittedly I only have irrefutable statistics to back me up on this.

To clarify I'll always follow the club but as I've not really enjoyed the last couple of seasons I doubt I'll invest in a ST. I'll continue reading the forums as I always have done for the past 10 years for which the most part I have been a reader as opposed to a poster; I'm just bored of going over the same stuff and prefer now to take a backseat.

I think SillyBilly out does even YoungRam's 'falling out of love with derby" thread for melodrama. Don't go to the matches if you don't wanna, but surely the club haven't killed your lifeblood so much that you can't even post of this forum anymore. What else are you gonna do? Stop eating Black and White food and self combust if you ever here reference to the Merseyside derby, or the Derby horse race.

As another poster pointed out, where was all this melon collie and infinte sadness way back in, erm, late January where we had just drawn away at promotion chasing Barnsley and had 19 out of 21 points and were on the edge of the playoffs. 1 point from two winnable away games, then 3 defeats in tough games and the world is over.

Man up you babbies. This is the 3rd best season we've had since the 90s. This is the least broke season we've had since the bald eagle flew. This is the first time we've brought a few good youngsters through the ranks I can remember/ever. Clough bleeds Derby.

Whose turn is it to post this rubbish again when we lose to Brum on Saturday? I blame the internet. Back in the day such opinions would be laughed out the pub. Or you wouldn't know anyone to spout them too. In cyberspace, everyone can here you scream. Alas.

There have been 12 seasons since the 90's, 2 were successful at the beginning as we stayed in the PL, we got relugated in the other 2 we were in the PL. we got promoted twice and finished higher than 15th on one other occasion.

Take these out the equation, as all were higher finishes than we currently are, leaves 5 season, so where do you get the 3rd most successful?

Also with ST's declining yoy, and the worse scoring record whilst we been in this league, to me there is cause for concern.

There have been 12 seasons since the 90's, 2 were successful at the beginning as we stayed in the PL, we got relugated in the other 2 we were in the PL. we got promoted twice and finished higher than 15th on one other occasion.

Take these out the equation, as all were higher finishes than we currently are, leaves 5 season, so where do you get the 3rd most successful?

Also with ST's declining yoy, and the worse scoring record whilst we been in this league, to me there is cause for concern.

those seasons scrapping to stay up didn't seem like a success at the time! and we've been flirting with the playoffs most of the season, until the last 3 games which have prompted such doom. we'll win a few games and be back on the fringes of the playoffs in a month or so. apart from the billy/burley playoff seasons, this seems to be the best we've been in the championship and certainly the one where we've looked least like going down. i think the billy/jewell prem season was far worse than most others. we can debate over which ones were better than others, but this is better than a fair few over the last 10-12 years.

oh, and 2-3 good signings over the summer, we'll be challenging for the top again and everything will be rosey in the shirt term world of football

Don't talk wet and don't speculate as to why I feel the need to stop posting- you are about as far from the mark as you could be. As for your dim-witted rebuke- no quite frankly, I'll continue as before.

Providing I'm on the money with my phonetics the "melancholy" you refer to has been around for the most part of Clough's reign (for me), though admittedly I only have irrefutable statistics to back me up on this.

To clarify I'll always follow the club but as I've not really enjoyed the last couple of seasons I doubt I'll invest in a ST. I'll continue reading the forums as I always have done for the past 10 years for which the most part I have been a reader as opposed to a poster; I'm just bored of going over the same stuff and prefer now to take a backseat.

you have irrefutable statistics to back up the melancholy of Clough's reign? if that is the case, you must have been sad for many years now. actually, the majority of years since the mid-70s. you obviously didn't reply to my challenge on where were these threads of despair a whole month ago when everything was going pretty well?

no one minds that you don't get a season ticket, you shouldn't if you don't enjoy it at the moment. you'll just look a short termist silly billy when we inevitably get better next season. and the next. and the next. (N.B. 'getting better' isn't purely down to where we are this season compared to the same point last season)

we are building a squad. it takes time. we've got at least adequate players in all positions. we need 2-3 more special players to make that difference. this is the right way to build a team and a sustainable club

So it's inevitable that we'll get better next season and the season after? It is certain we will get better next season? There's no possibility we won't? Our progress is beyond doubt?

Wow. You may well be the only person who can predict footballing future.

Big whoops for adequate players.

Living the dream 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' />

lol compared to the massively paid and massively inadequate players we've had.

and i did say 'at least adequate', we've got some good championship players in a few positions. 4 adequate, 4 good and 3 very good players are enough to go up.

So it's inevitable that we'll get better next season and the season after? It is certain we will get better next season? There's no possibility we won't? Our progress is beyond doubt?

Wow. You may well be the only person who can predict footballing future.

yep. that's what happened with clough so far, especially on points per wage! it is so obvious we will buy 2-3 players this year that will really improve us. why else wouldn't we apart from some silly theories that gse want us to hang around mid-table for ever so they can make some money on burgers

I don't buy into the 'GSE want us to hang mid table' theory but a) I don't see this improvement you talk of (14th then 19th and best football came at the start of last season, nothing this season has been as good as that). b ) There's no guarantee that Nigel will pick players who will improve us.

Wage to points is nonsense.

those seasons scrapping to stay up didn't seem like a success at the time! and we've been flirting with the playoffs most of the season, until the last 3 games which have prompted such doom. we'll win a few games and be back on the fringes of the playoffs in a month or so. apart from the billy/burley playoff seasons, this seems to be the best we've been in the championship and certainly the one where we've looked least like going down. i think the billy/jewell prem season was far worse than most others. we can debate over which ones were better than others, but this is better than a fair few over the last 10-12 years.

oh, and 2-3 good signings over the summer, we'll be challenging for the top again and everything will be rosey in the shirt term world of football

Of course those season were successfull, and no this is not the best season in the championship barring the 2 promotion seasons, we have not been flirting with the playoffs, we had a good run that took us up the table, end of, the season is over 40 odd games, where we finish at the end of it will determine how successfull we have been, now we are 15th. Next you will be telling me that because we start with a D, that counts as being in the play offs at the beggining of the season.

Although we havent won in 6 games, we havent scored in 5 of them 6, and at times we have failed to muster a meaniful attack during these games, the fact that under the current regime finished in the bottom half of this league every year and will do again this one, so it is not the last 3 games that have prompted such gloom.

2-3 good signings will improve the team, not the squad and we will be faced with the same problems again, we have no cover at full backs, no cover any longer in CD, nothing for RM, and our attack has managed only 1.03 goals per game, so we are also struggling there. But we wont get 2-3 good signings because we havent got the money, and losing ST holders will continue to reduce the budget we have and continue to see the team sprial, so no things are not rosey in the garden :-)

Fair points, but how is this entertainment any worse than what we've been served up post-Jim Smith, apart from the Burley playoff season? Under Billy Davies we often played rubbish stuff. Would you prefer that we were a lot worse so we had the thrill of a relegation fight? Bring back Phil Brown and Deano.

but it is recognised that we have been a struggling club for 10 years, we need better. To say well we have been rubbish for almost a decade doesn't justify us being rubbish now.

but it is recognised that we have been a struggling club for 10 years, we need better. To say well we have been rubbish for almost a decade doesn't justify us being rubbish now.

Valid argument. I don't think we've been poor for 10 years though. This is just as poor as under Gregory and Brown for me. But we were better under Burley and Billy (boring footy but we won which is one more thing than Nigel is doing). Yet Nigel is getting massive praise.

Again, if we had been forced to lose great players under Nigel (can only think of Hulse and Commons who fall under that - and Nigel preferred Porter to Hulse anyway) and we were suffering then ok. But we haven't, we've had to let expensive players go and appear to have a budget akin to the majority of this league, we're by no mean the team who has spent the least in the last 3 seasons. Yet lower half finishes are considered ok.

Archived