Are we less in debt than we were at GSE's takeover?

CornwallRam

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed. But the club isn't being run spectacularly well, and we have little to cheer about.

I think it's better run that it was prior to the current owners coming in.

And we don't have alot to cheer now, no. That's because Hendrick, Ball, Bennett, Hughes, O'Brien are relatively inexperienced. In a years time, they'll be alot more experienced, and I believe we'll have more to cheer then.

And we don't have alot to cheer now, no. That's because Hendrick, Ball, Bennett, Hughes, O'Brien are relatively inexperienced. In a years time, they'll be alot more experienced, and I believe we'll have more to cheer then.

Agreed on the first point. I think. But at least we went somewhere.

And I don't see how those players can improve in a team like this, so lacking in confidence. And who is there for these players to look up to? No one. Especially in Hendrick's case, as he's probably our best midfielder.

I think it is fair to say that our finances are in better shape than when GSE took over, and that the club is in a better trading position generally, in terms of the wage bill. Unfortunately, we are also a 'smaller' club in terms of our turnover and media profile. My issue is with those who argue that there are only two alternatives - cutting back and maintaining our league position every year in lower mid / table, or spending recklessly chasing the dream (and thus 'endangering' the clubs very existence). This is far too simplistic. Look at Swansea and Norwich. Similar or smaller sized clubs in terms of support who have made significant and sustainable progress in the last 3 - 5 years without major player trading. Why? Good managers who have developed an effective (and in the case of Swansea) attractive pattern of play, and who have motivated and improved the players at their disposal.

Now ask yourself about the team / club under Clough. Which players have become noticeably better under his management? Do we have a settled formation? A pattern / way of playing? Does the team look cohesive? Were Addison, cwyka, macguire etc man managed effectively? why do we look devoid of ideas?

We all want Nige to do well, and he has performed effectively in maintaining our league position whilst the club retrenches, but does he have the skills and leadership to take the club forward?

There is a third way between financial excess (Pompey, possibly Leicester) and struggling to stand still (us). Nige just probably isn't the guy to do it.

I don't think FFP will ever come into force and is just being used by our board along with other clubs in the league as a reason not to spend any money

Financial fair play, over the next few years, will probably become so stringent that docked points for non compliance will probably become a reality. So I'd rather avoid that.

Alternatively, they will have moved to club that pay more money and we will be saying just wait for Smith, Jones and uncle Tom Cobbley's 15 year old nephew who isn't quite up to it yet. By the way, when he is up to it he'll be playing for some other team who are prepared to pay top dollar for his services.

I think it is fair to say that our finances are in better shape than when GSE took over, and that the club is in a better trading position generally, in terms of the wage bill. Unfortunately, we are also a 'smaller' club in terms of our turnover and media profile. My issue is with those who argue that there are only two alternatives - cutting back and maintaining our league position every year in lower mid / table, or spending recklessly chasing the dream (and thus 'endangering' the clubs very existence). This is far too simplistic. Look at Swansea and Norwich. Similar or smaller sized clubs in terms of support who have made significant and sustainable progress in the last 3 - 5 years without major player trading. Why? Good managers who have developed an effective (and in the case of Swansea) attractive pattern of play, and who have motivated and improved the players at their disposal.

Now ask yourself about the team / club under Clough. Which players have become noticeably better under his management? Do we have a settled formation? A pattern / way of playing? Does the team look cohesive? Were Addison, cwyka, macguire etc man managed effectively? why do we look devoid of ideas?

We all want Nige to do well, and he has performed effectively in maintaining our league position whilst the club retrenches, but does he have the skills and leadership to take the club forward?

There is a third way between financial excess (Pompey, possibly Leicester) and struggling to stand still (us). Nige just probably isn't the guy to do it.

Good post, after reading your post it sounds your like you've kind of got the same opinion on Nige as myself. As the months go on I seem to be agreeing with the highlighted bit even more unfortunatley. Hope we can see some sort of progress sooner than later.

Not sure where you've read that I'm satisfied with getting beaten, because I'm not. But I'll put up with this for a couple more seasons if it means at the end of it we have a team full of our own home grown products because to me that would be us doing it the right way. I also hate when my team loses, but I understand why it happens.

It's not about teams spending more than us, it's about teams spending more than they can afford. Take Leicester as a case in point. They're 3 points above us, and not looking red hot for promotion, but must have one of the biggest wage bills outside the Premiership. What happens if they don't go up? Maybe get by for a season or so, but it's not sustainable - they'll either fall in to trouble, or will have to sell their big earners, making them no better than us in the end. If they go up then fair play, but I wouldn't promote that as a business model - Leeds United probably wouldn't either.

I don't think 'we'll win the league by virtue of being the only club not being wound up in a particular season' - I think we'll be a good club with a great academy and alot of graduates in that academy in our first team. Like Middlesbrough, perhaps.

Can you explain to me how we will hold on to up and coming prospects when we show no ambition and clubs even in the lower half of the prem. come in with bids for them?

This strategy turns us in to Crewe Alex. Are you happy with that ? Do you think these players wll stay along for the ride just because they like NC and TG ?

Are you serious ? In a year's time Hughes and Bennett will still be children by the legal definition. In a properly run and managed club they would be nowhere near the 1st team. Have we turned into Roy of the Rovers where these players are just so good they have to accommodated into the first team or have we just become so cheapskate that they can make up the numbers in our threadbare squad ?

Archived