BBG vs Pride Park

Brammie Steve

I am not well enough to travel the 50 odd miles to Derby and so I have not set foot inside Pride Park despite still following the Rams regularly from my armchair.

I used to love standing on the Pop side at the muddy pitched Baseball Ground when the state of the pitch was like a 12th player for the Rams who were used to playing in a quagmire.

The gents toilets were like something out of a Dickensian nightmare and the phantom graffitist would write such classics as

"Why've I daubed this wall with paint?

Cos Longson's in and Cloughie aint."

Shows how far back I'm going.

Standing like a sardine with my younger (and less ugly) brother saying that he fainted a few minutes ago but couldn't find any ground to land on.

Am I the only one who loved the old Baseball ground, or does anyone else mourn its demise.

Which is best, Pride Park or the old Baseball ground?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

BBG by a mile. Walking up Cambridge street used to give me goosebumps. Few grounds in the country could touch it for atmosphere on an evening match. I used to love my c stand paddock season ticket, unrivalled banter and a genuine connection with the players. Pride Park has had a few good moments but nothing like the BBG when it was rocking. I miss those days

Pp is boring, I remember I was only a kid but loved the place, just walking down the narrow streets to and from the game, having a pie n marsbar n a Ribena of the pie man and the programme seller walking round selling the programmes in the ground!!

BBG for me, but only with terraces rather than seats. The day that the Popside became seating reduced the atmosphere and the experience. On balance and with seats I think that PP is the better ground in many ways. Certainly the better pitch.

Despite all the other general improvements the matchday 'catering experience' is now no better and probably worse than the BBG. But the football has at times been as good at PP (Biaino and Eranio in full flow were more than the equal of many BBG experiences, even without the trophies) but the narrow streets, small pitch, proximity to the action, close packed fans, volume and that BBG smell, especially when Leys Malleable Castings were in full flow, made it an experience that PP can never replicate. Happy days.

Its obvious which is the best (PP)..but is it the most loved ..hell no..the BBG wins by a million miles. I dont think

any fan who frequented the BBG would argue that fact, a damn shame it had to die, a large part of DCFC died

with it.

R.I.P. BBG..gone ..but never forgotten

[size=1]Geez i'm welling up here 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />[/size][size=1] [/size]

I agree with that. The BBG was a brilliant football ground, utterly unique. I'm so proud to have had the pleasure of attending matches there.

Pride Park is so sterile and is pretty standard as stadiums go these days

In a way, I wish they had just redeveloped it gradually (as was originally planned) , similar to Wolves' plans that are coming to fruition now.

To be fair, at the baseball ground you could touch the players you were that close, the closest you get to any footballer now is 20 feet, so it won't compete with the bbg atmosphere. I love pride park but I can't help feeling it's like a stadium for people of middle/high class. I get so many dirty looks if I swear from the pompous people in the toyota west stand, so i just learn to shut up.

As Ilkley said, the BBG died when the seats went in.

PP would be ok if every person who liked to sing sat together in one end....preferably unreserved seats, thats why I support Nick's attempt to do summat with the South Stand.

This is constructive. Most of us who were there love the old BBG but it's great to try and transfer some of that atmosphere to PP.

As Ilkley said, the BBG died when the seats went in.

PP would be ok if every person who liked to sing sat together in one end....preferably unreserved seats, thats why I support Nick's attempt to do summat with the South Stand.

Exactly correct Mr Uttox.

Pride park has always been a complete souless, hollow bowl. i was as excited as the next man when the club sold us on the move to Pride Park, and was driving past it every week taking photos of the development of it. And I can still remember turning to my mates after about half an hour of the first game there and saying "this is a disaster".....and yep, it was.

We need to do somethign to improve the atmosphere, the BBG was infamous for the atmosphere, no one "fears" coming to Pride Park, i imagine that most clubs/supporters actively look forward to it.

on the unreserved seating, I went ot FC Basel last night (amazing win!!) and then have unreserrved seating behind one goal, for the singing section.....it is ALWAYS packed 1+ hours before kick off, and the atmosphere in there is always great. I totally support Nick's campaign to get us behind the goal.....BUT it must be combined with unreserved seating too, it will make all the difference.

Archived