Jim Smith genius 1st season at Rams

Curtains

Really looking forward to the Jim smith night tonight and also must point out that it includes the great ooh aaah robin van der laan !! So should be a cracker, also spread around the tables are VIP guests, on our table we have phil gee so he should have some good tales to tell aswell !! All in all the makings of a truly top night, no turkey for us this Christmas ! We r having bald eagle ! Bald eagle ! Bald eagle !!

RVdL, legend!

Give Jim a big kiss on his bald head from the forum xxxx

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This will probably jinx us but have you noticed there are a couple of parallels between that season and this one...

- Dodgy form up until November when we signed a classy centre half (for Stimac see Wisdom) and then went on a run of unbeaten games.

- A striker written off by previous managers scoring for fun (for Sturridge see Martin)

- Switching to 3 up top brings goals, goals, goals (for Sturridge/Gabbiadini/Willems see Martin/Ward/Dawkins)

Of course the two constants in both seasons are Schteve & Simmo, I wonder if they've taken any inspirations...

And what's more Steve aint far off emulating Jim's hairstyle.

My hair was a bit rock n roll / bedraggled when I managed to have my photo taken alongside Jim Smith on the Finland & Estonia pre season tour. I looked a lot drunker than Jim, I suppose the friendly game had just finished, and Jim had not yet got stuck into the red wine! I'm not far off having a napper like TBE's now. Sure you'll all have a great night, Jim is a top fella.

Remembering TBE's era at its height, for me, would be Southampton at home, when we did them 4-0 with 4 goals in about 10 minutes towards the end of the match. I know we won at OT, and we walloped Arsenal 3-1, but the Southampton game - we were unbelievable. Samba football, everyone playing with a smile on their face, Eranio, Baiano and Wanchope in full flow. Southampton came for a point and defended resolutely, until we got a bit of luck and got the breakthrough and then we absolutely fooking murdered them. T'was great.

AC - defining moment - doing Arsenal 2-1 at home in '89 - Phil Gee's screamer. Magic!

Thanks a lot mate, have a goodun!

Think we'll all love Jim for what he did, supporting Derby at that time (late teens early 20s) was by far the best time of my life so far and think it always will be.

Good night ,Jim and Robbie got a great reception from a sell out 400 ,Jim bless him [very funny man] was asked a series of qustions  from the floor ,one of the most interesting was regarding Roberto Baggio .

Jim said it was a  serious enquiry and we were close to a deal , and in the end it was finance that the tranfer failed on. With regard to his preferance PP or BBG he thought the atmosphere intially was better at BBG put got better at PP over time.

Robbie talked through THAT goal against Crystal Palace he now coaches in Canada. Robbie and Jim obviously have great affection for each other, I was sat at the back but looked like Robbie had his arm round Jim .lol.

Jim neatly side stepped a question on Ravenelli's salary some mention £70k a week ,think it was a bit near the bone to be honest .

I am sure some of the other lads will remember ,hope this gives you a flavour.

Glad you enjoyed it, thanks for the info mate, sounds like there were a few good topics!

Anything from Jim or Robbie on The Mac?

He did speak very highly of Steve when they were together at Derby ,but if he gave any thoughts currently i missed it .Too many pints and vodka's .

Hi Glasto

The DVD won't be stocked in the club shop; the producers VSI won't deal with most clubs who just aim to screw an unrealistic margin. But you can get it very conveniently, before Xmas!

It will be available before the Doncaster home game next Saturday, at an event in the DW Soccerdome foyer next to the iPro (it's a book signing for Peter Seddon's excellent new book on the beginnings of Derby County, 'The Men Who Made the Rams').

Book, DVD and other merch available.

I'm running the DW event. So, mail me offlist to reserve a copy of the DVD or book (others have!) - limited numbers at the moment, first come, first served!

Archived