Is it time to start protesting against the board ?

Stimacked

Also the "He's kept us up whilst slashing the wage bill and playing staff" That argument only works in the context of where you start from. If he had come in now, or even last season and was asked to massively slash the budget then fair enough but he came when we had a large squad and high wages. It's not like he had to move from an average budget to a bottom of the table one. Just from a high one to an average one. If Man City sacked Mancini and then said to the new manager they had to slash the wage bill in half, would anyone be singing the managers praises for keeping them in the league or even finishing mid-table? I'm not saying we were the Championship equivalent to Man City, just trying to use the extreme to illustrate a point. You need to place the budget slashing into context.

Not so, the wage bill is rumoured to have been reduced below £10m, or a further £5m cut from the last puplished accounts.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The thread was about protesting against the board, I merely pointed out why I don't support this position.

Like it or not, FFP is here from next season and that is how it is.

I like a pint and a chat about the team as much as the next person but I realise that without the changes to how football is run then we face the stark reality that many clubs will not survive. The recent report on football finances show that 70% of NPC clubs are technically insolvent, so we can carry on and ignore the finances if we wish with one outcome ---- Alfreton Town on a Saturday for us all!

Agree, football needs to change. All these companies running their finances in such a way will result in more and more clubs being unable to cope. I think the pressure from fans for players and success make boards act in a way that puts the clubs at risk. The sport has a culture of money buys success.

Not so, the wage bill is rumoured to have been reduced below £10m, or a further £5m cut from the last puplished accounts.

My understanding was when Nigel took over we had a wage bill near the top for this league. Is that not the case? I don't know if anyone can answer conclusively as we'd need to know the wage bill of all the clubs season on season to know that.

Walcott??????

He was sold in 2006 that's six years ago and Soton have since been in administration.

We sold Idiakez and Tommy Smith in the summer of 2006 should we still be talking about the money we got for them?

They are still receiving the add ons attached to the contract like number of appearances (apparent rumour in respect of reason why we sold Moxey). International etc.

[url=http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1059212-arsenal-grading-theo-walcotts-performance-so-far-this-season]http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1059212-arsenal-grading-theo-walcotts-performance-so-far-this-season

confirms original fee was £5million raising to £9.1million based on appearances. So Ok they have had £14 million since administration.

The last published accounts showed that total wages were £16.41m,and the club say players' wages came in at £10.5m.The corresponding figures for 08/09 were £22.08m/£15.5m. On 24/3/11 Glick said players' wages were just over £9m,and given the date,that will probably represent the 10/11 figure.Heaven knows what the current figure is-it seems to be getting ever closer to the total of 'other' wages.

[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Cashback-offer-table-Rams-fans/story-11564984-detail/story.html]http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Cashback-offer-table-Rams-fans/story-11564984-detail/story.html

The last published accounts showed that total wages were £16.41m,and the club say players' wages came in at £10.5m.The corresponding figures for 08/09 were £22.08m/£15.5m. On 24/3/11 Glick said players' wages were just over £9m,and given the date,that will probably represent the 10/11 figure.Heaven knows what the current figure is-it seems to be getting ever closer to the total of 'other' wages.

[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Cashback-offer-table-Rams-fans/story-11564984-detail/story.html]http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/Cashback-offer-table-Rams-fans/story-11564984-detail/story.html

Do we know what other clubs are operating on wage budget wise?

Do we know what other clubs are operating on wage budget wise?

You often see tables of clubs' wages,but unfortunately they're always total wages.I bet I could guarantee one thing though,that most (if not all) will have a far lower proportion of 'other' wages included,compared to our staggering £6m+.So allow yourself a wry smile if you see published tables showing us high up,and just wonder where we'd actually be in a players' wages only table.

Anyway, I personally wouldn't trust Nigel to get Derby playing creative football even with a budget. I think he likes hard working solid players and that's it. I would trust another manager to get more out of our current crop and use what little money we did have better (We've sold a few of Nigel's signings already).

Just out of interest, and not wishing to steal the thread, which manager do you think would be able to do this? We all feel the present frustrations but I don't see many others doing much better under these conditions. I'm sure the ability to recruit quality players on our wages makes life more difficult than previously.

Just to put things into perspective. Wigan, who many of us on here would rate as punching above there weight have released their latest accounts. It seems the "strugglers" have a wage bill, with which they are happy of £39.9 million. Sad to say I think we just have to accept that football has been ruined by Sky and the billionaires it has attracted. The gap is getting wider and wider.

Ramblur

The accounts I've got show £22.97m for 08, £19.47m for 09 and £14.52m in the latest set for 10, this would make sense that the £9m type figure is the figure that will appear in next months accounts.

What is this support you speak of? It sure as fook isn't the 6 proven championship calibre signings that they promised in the last season ticket window. "Judge us by our actions" said Glick, you obviously don't blame them for that abject failure to deliver, but blame the manager who has been left to pick up the pieces with half the funds that o Paul had at his disposal! So I disagree with you, the board are massively to blame for lying to all of us and not backing the manager as they said they would.

they have supported the manager when a lot of chairmen would have got rid by now.Im unaware of Glick picking the players that come in,clough has had money,not mega money but he has had more than a lot of championship teams.Tyson was a dodgy buy at best for example.Ben Davies? whats happened to him? Im sorry but Glick cannot be blamed for poor tactics, terrible man management and poor quality football.That blame lies at the managers door.The board have made mistakes but the club is in a sounder financial state than it was,and in these times that is crucial.

I honestly believe that if the board gave clough £20m to spend on players he would still manage to cock it up.

He is way out of his depth.

To protest against a board that have financially got us out of the **** instead of got us in the **** seems bizarre to me.

don't know if anyone saw Trevor Birch's (former rams CEO and currently Portsmouth administrator) comments - Pompey are still paying one of their squad £30K per week....

Shows just how crazy the world of football has become and I bet this was negotiated while they were in administration last time. I see HMRC got their preferred administrator appointed this time, maybe they hope for a better deal. I guess they need to get themselves a new agent and sign a £30k per week payback contract with Pompey.

Agree, football needs to change. All these companies running their finances in such a way will result in more and more clubs being unable to cope. I think the pressure from fans for players and success make boards act in a way that puts the clubs at risk. The sport has a culture of money buys success.

leicester fan in peace.

interesting thread. you're right, football has to change before it goes bankrupt. we've had a lot of cash injected into the club, but it hasn't worked as yet. my fear is the owners may lose interest or need to raise capital and sell the club, leaving us with high wage bills and financial ruin.

i don't know what the answer is, an elite european league so that the top clubs can fvck off and leave the rest of us to it?

at least it would appear (from where i am) that your board are being sensible with your finances, but we all want success don't we.

beat of luck (except on thursday!)

they have supported the manager when a lot of chairmen would have got rid by now.Im unaware of Glick picking the players that come in,clough has had money,not mega money but he has had more than a lot of championship teams.Tyson was a dodgy buy at best for example.Ben Davies? whats happened to him? Im sorry but Glick cannot be blamed for poor tactics, terrible man management and poor quality football.That blame lies at the managers door.The board have made mistakes but the club is in a sounder financial state than it was,and in these times that is crucial.

I honestly believe that if the board gave clough £20m to spend on players he would still manage to cock it up.

To protest against a board that have financially got us out of the **** instead of got us in the **** seems bizarre to me.

I agree with a lot of what you say, however the board did put us further in the ***** by splashing the cash with Jewell. It's only after Jewell that they have begun to right their wrong.

leicester fan in peace.

interesting thread. you're right, football has to change before it goes bankrupt. we've had a lot of cash injected into the club, but it hasn't worked as yet. my fear is the owners may lose interest or need to raise capital and sell the club, leaving us with high wage bills and financial ruin.

i don't know what the answer is, an elite european league so that the top clubs can fvck off and leave the rest of us to it?

at least it would appear (from where i am) that your board are being sensible with your finances, but we all want success don't we.

best of luck (except on thursday!)

The trouble is that football has a bigger class seperation between the haves and the have not's than normal society, the fall in TV revenue next season has gone under the radar because of all the FFP talk.

As you can tell from this thread, the financial constraints and tight purse strings have split opinion on feelings to our board. If we had invested as Leicester have and still not got the results then I think opinion would be less divided and sit with the majority demanding change. As it is, the majority do seem prepared to give things time, rather than the jump on the "sack the manager" band waggon.

An elite league will just leave more have not's as TV money is invested in European Super League games that interest everyone. Those that moan about season ticket prices some of them will have Sky Sports and therefore be feeding the beast that has caused the divide.

Fair observations though and similarly, all the best for the rest of the season (but not on Thursday night)

I agree with a lot of what you say, however the board did put us further in the ***** by splashing the cash with Jewell. It's only after Jewell that they have begun to right their wrong.

I agree with this too but Adam Pearson was instrumental in these dealings.I reckon that the board have learned their lesson from this and are reluctant to do it again

Who the fook gave Clough an extended 3 year contract then....Santa ?

I thought the thread was about the investers not the board, any decent managment team could have reduce a debt if that is the instruction given to them, tell me what have the board actually done that is so great, lets not forget their original job spec when they came in was to turn us into a global brand, whoops fail, ok top 6 team no fail again, season on season improvement, no yet again another fail I believe.

The board have done what was instructed to them by the investors Derby, nothing worse, nothing better but lets not forget they are the ones who are backing Clough, so equally if you blame him then they to must shoulder some of this.

Who the fook gave Clough an extended 3 year contract then....Santa ?

I thought the thread was about the investers not the board, any decent managment team could have reduce a debt if that is the instruction given to them, tell me what have the board actually done that is so great, lets not forget their original job spec when they came in was to turn us into a global brand, whoops fail, ok top 6 team no fail again, season on season improvement, no yet again another fail I believe.

The board have done what was instructed to them by the investors Derby, nothing worse, nothing better but lets not forget they are the ones who are backing Clough, so equally if you blame him then they to must shoulder some of this.

i said in an earlier post that I blame them for backing Clough.

This thread is pointless really,some people will blame the board for everything,no matter what.A lot of fans want money thrown at every problem and sod the consequences ,until the debt is unmanageable and then lets blame the board for getting us in this mess.

Look at Rangers for gods sake,a massive club in a world of ****.Do we want that?

If Derby were in the top 6 this discussion wouldnt be happening.and lets remember a lot of people on this forum were talking of the playoffs around xmas time.

Archived