Falling out of love with the club?

Leeds Ram

I have not fallen out of love with the club, although I understood wholeheartedly where YR was coming from.

There is a feeling of apathy around the whole stadium now. The board aren't ambitious, the manager isn't ambitious and the fans aren't ambitious.

The atmosphere is dead at Pride Park and I can hear a pin drop.

I'm not even going on Thursday. It will be full of people there only because they got their ticket for £10. I will watch in the comfort of my own home.

We're at a boring stage of the season. I think Nigel has thought he's got all the points in the bag he needs, and is happy to draw the rest of the games.

Why should we pay to see 4-5-1 at home with rubbish football?

The one positive is that it seems the players do want to be here, and they aren't the type of journeymen Davies/Jewell bought in on silly contracts. But the fact is, they just are nowhere near good enough.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Like many have said it is not the fact that we are struggling, in the years I have been every year apart from two brief sojourns have been completely awful but I still loved it. It's the medicority and the acceptence of it by many which I hate, yes I still go and yes I will have another season ticket and travel back and forth but the spark isn't quite there and that is why I am questioning why I go and what i really feel about the club now.

I have been going since 2001 and am 18 so most of my life has been with going to a team which has always had controversy, struggles and surviving despite the odds. The tedious medicority with which it is being replaced just makes me Bananas, clough seems to be going nowhere fast despite being horribly average, the board are staying with their financial and 10 year plan which was always too long term and the endless marketing from the that hellish man Glick. I don't think he even recgonises what is lies or truth anymore.

I don't think I am the only one feeling this if you look at the attendence and atmosphere it tells it's own story in my view, and maybe I phrased it wrong. Maybe it is hating the way the club is being run at the moment, I have been during some very dark days I do consider myself loyal and I will be there thursday night. But this just seems like we will never get rid of these owners who only care about monetary matters and while they can plan a big plaza, they can't afford a 1.8 million pound striker. I am just extremely frustrated when away from the games and when at the games becoming increasingly apathetic.

I hate the predictable nature of our seasons. Last 10 years have all been a struggle, bar 04/05 and 06/07.It's always one step forward 2 steps back, we have our good spells and we have our bad spells. It is getting to the point again where we are all shocked when we win a game because it's such an unusual feeling. That's not right.

Two years ago we finished 14th. This season my prediction is about 14th again. The season inbetween (19th) many will descibe as a blip. My conclusion is the club is going fecking nowhere. Why would a 12th place finish be progress when we finished 14th 2 years ago, its just absolute tosh. This season was playoffs or failure to me and we've failed. I don't see climbing 3 or 4 places (which equates to about another win and draw over 46 games) in 2-3 years as progress. Nothing is changing on the football field apart from the fact we're more boring to watch.

I have sat in the Ley Stand in the middle of winter, mid week watching Derby vs Hartlepool in 1984 in Div 3, it was my 2nd season as a season ticket holder, and was going with my mates, now those days where dire, and I thought what on earth am I doing watching this! It was because I am Derby through and through.

2012, I sit with my mate and his kids, in possibly one of the best grounds in the league, surrounded by new friends I have met, knowing the club for the first time in a generation is stable, and yes what I have seen this season has been unexceptable by any standard, however at times been excellent, and my conclusion is that the end has come for the club going through the boom bust rollercoster, we are now down to a team that is only on that rollercoster, which as frustrationg as it is, is a small issue compared to Rangers, Portsmouth and the uncertainty at forest.

So when I do get annoyed with the board, manager or players I remember 1984, and not just Hartlepool, but Hysal, Bradford City and a young forest Striker making his debut, Nigel Clough.

Like many have said it is not the fact that we are struggling, in the years I have been every year apart from two brief sojourns have been completely awful but I still loved it. It's the medicority and the acceptence of it by many which I hate, yes I still go and yes I will have another season ticket and travel back and forth but the spark isn't quite there and that is why I am questioning why I go and what i really feel about the club now.

I have been going since 2001 and am 18 so most of my life has been with going to a team which has always had controversy, struggles and surviving despite the odds. The tedious medicority with which it is being replaced just makes me Bananas, clough seems to be going nowhere fast despite being horribly average, the board are staying with their financial and 10 year plan which was always too long term and the endless marketing from the that hellish man Glick. I don't think he even recgonises what is lies or truth anymore.

I don't think I am the only one feeling this if you look at the attendence and atmosphere it tells it's own story in my view, and maybe I phrased it wrong. Maybe it is hating the way the club is being run at the moment, I have been during some very dark days I do consider myself loyal and I will be there thursday night. But this just seems like we will never get rid of these owners who only care about monetary matters and while they can plan a big plaza, they can't afford a 1.8 million pound striker. I am just extremely frustrated when away from the games and when at the games becoming increasingly apathetic.

Many thanks YR for being so open and honest in your thoughts/feelings.

Whether one agrees or disagrees in some ways is irrelevant - the main thing to me is that this is the view of a young 18-year old fan, and it is people like YR that are the future fanbase of the club.

Keep smilin' YR, things can only get better !!

You mentioned the plaza v player there Yr which does raise a valid point. I'm not into the details of who's going to put how much money into this development but I think it's fair to say that the club will be putting money in the build pot. What's interesting is that while there's money available for this, there's no money for players.

Does anyone know any more details about this and how does the club think that building a new plaza can be a priority over the team and trying to progress forward? The board know full well what we need in terms of players afterall.

Is this the boards fault or Nigels ?

Nigels Fault,

the board gave Nigel money to spend pre-season and apart from Shackell in my opinion he has signed crap players, Tyson , Mcguire , B Davies and Theo, can prob add a couple more to the crap list , also the great fantastic loan signings he has got us, Noble was amazing on both occasions nice ambition Nigel, Kilbane worked out a treat , and yes i know Jamie Ward is ok, but Nigel Picks the team, the tactics the formation, how long are fans going to carry on with the "give nigel time" story , for me he has had time,

Boards fault

They instantly set a wage cap bring stabilty to the books which is understandable but they have not invested enough in the club, its clear they have 0 ambition for the club, they have got all the high earners out of the club now and want Nigel to bring the youngsters thorugh the ranks why !! maybe because they think we can eventually get big sums for the likes of Bennett, Ball and Hendrick like Southampton did for Walcott and Chamberlain, from a buisness point of view they are here to make money not friends

To sum up , Clough out , Board out , dont forget to tek ya bins out

Don't forget Frankie! Agree with most of the sentiment but if the board only give Nige 20p how is he supposed to bring in decent players? When he has spent money (Bailey, Brayford, Shacks, Ward, Barker, Fielding, Bryson) I think he has generally done well. There are always signings that don't work out- Maguire is currently one but on the whole I fel we have had good value for money- The problem is we are getting good value for our 200,000's not good value for our 1 mils (Barker and Shacks were just that). I think that Nigel is a decent manager and should be at Derby for years to come, but he needs proper backing.

I have remained in support of the board and what they have done to steady the financial ship has been truly brilliant BUT now is the time to invest in the playing squad- just a few quality players and we will be a force, the fans will be happy, the gates will increase and above all, the value of the club will rise. Even if it is for this last reason only, invest in new players or sell to someone who will.

The injuries have cleared up and it is obvious to everyone that the squad is not strong enough in both quality and depth to challenge for anything, let alone promotion.

Derby fans are patient and loyal but we won't sit by watching our club treading water for much longer- beware of the tide turning.

What grates me the most is that the club has shown minimalistic progress over the 3 years that Clough has been in charge, on or off the field, which Clough surely must take a lot of the blame for - no quality academy players coming through, money wasted on terrible signings (Ben Davis, Robinson, Maguire).

And what really gets my goat is that some folks on here claim that Clough has done a sterling job in getting the wage bill down by getting rid of obscenely overpaid, average footballers and replacing them with lower paid, extremely mediocre footballers -where's the talent in that? I could have done that, surely the technique is the replace them with BETTER players on less money not the same level or worse?

In his Southampton pre-match comments Clough said that we couldn't afford Billy Sharp and that there are plenty of players whom are playing at lower levels whom have made the step up (mentioned Grant Holt, Simeon Jackson) that we should be looking at buying, well if that's the case then why have we got useless Theo playing upfront for us instead of one of these prodigies Nige, thought that you were brought in for you acumen of the lower leagues and to talent spot players whom could perform at a much higher level??

no quality academy players coming through? Behave

Commons wanted to go... Bada-Bing-Bada-Bong! thats it! He said he was staying and then he left leaving us in the lurch 'cos we hadnt planned for it.

Im glad hes gone the self centered t@sser!

Yeah.... how dare he want to get the best deal for himself and his family..... what a git.

Ok, sure money talks in football, and footballers only have until the early 30's if that - so I can understand even tho I strongly believe that footballers are obscenely overpaid.

Cast your minds back - he completely misled the club as to his intentions. I watched his final game (forget who it was against) and his refusal to go in for any tackles got Moxey sent off as it left him exposed.

I don't want his sort at my Derby... I'll state it again

[size=3]Im glad hes gone the self centered t@sser![/size]

What game were you at? One of the quietest away supports i've seen in a long time. Practically everyone was sat down and there was about 20 people singing. Didnt help that it was allocated seating in such a confined space. Southampton have always been quite loud at home though, that section to the right of us has good numbers and they were louder than us for the entire game.

Same one as you mate. I was sat opposite the Rams who were singing and they never stopped. Saints only sang after their goals it seemed to me. Maybe I'm going deaf in my old age..

Dangerous, a man/woman after my own heart.

I have seen some rubbish over the years. Hartlepool away in 1984 when they knocked us out the cup, Losing 4-1 at Oldham when it was about -10c, Mick Brolly, numerous bad times in the 80s. At least there was some hope in those days that better times were around the corner. Now, I don't see any future other than stagnation and zero lack of ambition. And, if you stagnate in football you go backwards.

I've had a season ticket 30 years in a row, and have seen the Rams at over 80 different away grounds so I base my opinion on 30 years of ups and downs. Clough will get us nowhere other than season after season of mediocrity, and the depressing thing is so many people seem happy to accept this. ,

I nearly gave up my ticket this season, but I thought I would give the manager one last chance. By my reckoning he spent around £3m in transfer fees last summer and where are we? No better off than last season, in fact we have a weaker squad. It saddens me to say it, but I won't be renewing unless Clough goes.

Did you say Coventry??????? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Actually that to me would be worse than turning into Portsmouth, at least they gave it a go and won something.

That's a good question to ask the happy clappers who sit there swallowing everything, would you rather we turned into Coventry watching 3rd division rubbish in a 1/2 empty stadium?

Cue another 3000 word essay from Rotherham Ram saying what a wonderful bloke Nigel is and what a fantastic job the board are doing in such difficult circumstances.

I have not and do not support the board and I was there protesting last season. I do however support Clough as there are more positives when you look at the bigger picture. I would happy when Glick and Co leave and someone comes in and allows Clough to spend

Same one as you mate. I was sat opposite the Rams who were singing and they never stopped. Saints only sang after their goals it seemed to me. Maybe I'm going deaf in my old age..

The arsey stewards didnt help, but that was the worse away support i've seen in a while. Millwall was bad but it was better than that.

Had some right f*cking drongo's behind me in the first half, voluntarily went and sat near the front for the second.

Archived