Academy is the future, says Cloughie.

ladyram

He has clearly failed to deliver on so many fronts, We are going for promotion, we expect a top 6 side and extra investment is needed and if more money is needed they will do it, is what he said in the summer, so the question has to be asked that as we are not pushing for the top 6, who is to blame mr glick?

in every other walk of life, and most football clubs, somebody would be questioned about this failure, and as a result their contract terminated, and yet all we get is a ticket renewal come in 4 march before the end of the season, why do we need the cash so early?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the aim is top 6, I think it's fair to say everyone has failed; owners, management and players.

If the aim is no longer top 6 (which I think is the case now), what's the new plan and are we on target?

If the promise of top 6 hadn't been made, what would you have settled for? Personally I'd have been happy to take mid table with a watchable, attractive style of play. In that sense I think Clough is failing the club.

Well 3 years with a bottom half finish, I would say clough has to be held responsible, but would I say bringing somebody else in would wield different results with the resources available, I'm not sure, but surely this can't go on......can it :-)

I've tried, I really have, the last few months in particular, I was even arguing their case to a mate last week, but they just keep dragging you down, the owners and management are so depressing.

f******* w****.

getting to that stage now mate- especially with the toothless collapse against the saints

Seems as though the whole point is useless, we haven't got the money for experienced players.

It always used to be said that you could introduce 1 young player into a team,and maybe 2 into a good team and that any more would be really pushing it.I reckon you could do a lot of harm to youngsters if handled wrongly.

nfb I think our young midfielders and strikers would benefit hugely from playing with good, experienced midfielders and strikers, good point. They don't need to cost the earth, just be better than we've got. Based on recent performances from our front 6 this shouldn't be difficult! However our board don't have the ability to see this.

Exactly my point Curbs, it is pointless, thats just it..... i cant believe that clever,wealthy people could be bothered to invest the time and money for (as i said) 'peanuts' ?, unless their business model is Crewe !

My worry is that maybe the owners being mostly foreign,dont understand the dynamics of football,as Ramblur and Andy B say, they are potentially not maximising their investment, in my opinion by not investing in some experience to bring the youngsters on properly, and increase their value, if they are to be sold ?

As we know, they are seriously wealthy, so the money is there ,although we are told there isnt any!

So thats been my point in my last few posts, what do the board intend for us, do they have another 'concept' for us after the abandonment of the 'Global Brand'.

If so will we ever know it, so we can get behind it/them, or are they disinterested? I cant believe the latter, as they would have sold us by now because of the dwindling lack of return, and lack of forseeable real money from the Prem etc.

Its a puzzle inside a conundrum............

Because of the way the finance is set up, one of the investors can't just decide to throw a bit of in money to buy a player who suddenly becomes available.

The investment so far has been structured so that they all agree to put an amount in on a certain date every year (and my feeling is that we have seen the last one,but that's another argument).

I enjoyed poking fun at TG’s ‘Barker-type fee’ spinning. At the same time I recognised that he's the CEO and that it’s part of his job description to be both vague and relentlessly positive.

Given that I was surprised when he spoke much more specifically last May about the plans to provide Clough with extra investment to bring in experienced players to fill the gaps in the squad. That extra funding never materialised. Instead TG just seemed to disappear from public view at the start of this season.

Now this season there’s been a consistent message coming out of PP about the lack of funding for the squad, the need to focus on youth, the FFP, and so on. That really wasn’t the message before this season. I wonder if something happened last summer that forced TG to adjust to a much tighter funding regime than even he was expecting.

I enjoyed poking fun at TG’s ‘Barker-type fee’ spinning. At the same time I recognised that he's the CEO and that it’s part of his job description to be both vague and relentlessly positive.

Given that I was surprised when he spoke much more specifically last May about the plans to provide Clough with extra investment to bring in experienced players to fill the gaps in the squad. That extra funding never materialised. Instead TG just seemed to disappear from public view at the start of this season.

Now this season there’s been a consistent message coming out of PP about the lack of funding for the squad, the need to focus on youth, the FFP, and so on. That really wasn’t the message before this season. I wonder if something happened last summer that forced TG to adjust to a much tighter funding regime than even he was expecting.

Doubt it ramesses-think it was purely about selling S/T's.They started off with a burst,to make it look as if they meant business and then left the burning embers of Eustace and Waghorn.A few weeks before I left the forum in August I warned fans to beware of 'sagas', that would drag on to the first game of the season (refund deadline) and then fizzle out thereafter.I warned of it,but didn't particularly expect it, as I thought it would look too obvious and destroy future credibility.

Doubt it ramesses-think it was purely about selling S/T's.They started off with a burst,to make it look as if they meant business and then left the burning embers of Eustace and Waghorn.A few weeks before I left the forum in August I warned fans to beware of 'sagas', that would drag on to the first game of the season (refund deadline) and then fizzle out thereafter.I warned of it,but didn't particularly expect it, as I thought it would look too obvious and destroy future credibility.

I agree ramblur. I guess it still surprises and puzzles me that he'd take such a risk with his public reputation and credibility for what appears on the surface to have been such a (relatively) short term gain.

It's not that much of a risk, most will have forgotten he even said it.

You only have to look on here, most fans are desperate to believe their club is doing the right thing, and will go to any lengths to convince themselves of it.

Even with the 3 amigos ripping us off (and I'm not comparing GSE with them when I say this), it took months for the fans to turn against them.

I'm not saying they've all worked out but - as part of the top 6 effort - we did sign:

Fielding

Legzdins

Shackell

Bryson

Ward

Maguire

Robinson

Tyson

Now they might not have worked out but we did sign a few (and yes, Fielding, Ward and Robinson were here on loan but they were still signings).

So we did stump up for some fees and for the wages of those players

Archived