Academy is the future, says Cloughie.

ladyram

Lest we forget the new agreement that allows Prem clubs to take promising youngsters for low, low prices.

I want to see how this plays out. Glick didn't seem too fussed about it (actually thought it could work in Derby's favour). As I understand it so long as they are under contract they cannot be poached cheaply, so hopefully they will identify the "poachable ones" and keep them under contract and get your Walcott size fees to plough back into the owners pockets squad.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hughes is under contract:

The 16-year-old Derby County Academy midfielder shone for England in an Under-17 tournament in Portugal earlier this month but he is under contract with the Rams.

We have no any money for decent players though.

[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/story-15265379-detail/story.html?]http://www.thisisder...ail/story.html?

Looks like Glick's talks about signing 2-3 mil player was complete bullshit.

Hardly surprising though.

But they have had the money from the kids (Walcott, Bale & Oxlade-Chamberlain) to get these good quality signings.

Walcott & Bale were sold before Saints went into administration in 2008 so that money was long gone by the time they started rebuilding. My point is simply that a club that were far worse off than us 4 years ago are now miles ahead of us because they have invested boldly & wisely, instead of forcing their manager to make cheapjack signings and throwing 15 year olds into the first team. Some of our youngsters may well become good players , but we will never get promoted without buying players of a certain level of quality to compliment them. The GSE model will achieve nothing except leaving us treading water for years to come, which will be a disaster.

If our Academy alone produces high quality players at a fast enough rate to get us in the PL inside the next say 5 years then we'll probably have the best academy in the world.

I dont want to end up like Rangers, but the choice isn't either spend tons or not at all. Portsmouth and Rangers have become those same sort of stories that people make up to stop kids getting out of bed at 3am. 'The Bedtime Police will get you'.

If we plan on spending less money i'd expect us to become less compettitve. Glick can point to Portsmouth all he likes. We're not 10yrs old and sneaking into our parents bedroom at night.

Have looked around and can't find this quote, could you point me in the right direction please as I would like to e-mail it to him for his comments on it.

Try harder and you will find it.

That's for sure Glick was saying Clough can spend 2-3 mil on player if he can find the right one.

I can't be bothered to find the link... i just don't want to read that **** again.

Try harder and you will find it.

That's for sure Glick was saying Clough can spend 2-3 mil on player if he can find the right one.

I can't be bothered to find the link... i just don't want to read that **** again.

No can't find it anywhere and google is a good toll for finding such things.

Maybe this has been twisted from him saying we would be looking for a couple of Shaun Barkers, this then becomes 2 lots of £1million to give us £2million and then another £1million added on for good effect?

No can't find it anywhere and google is a good toll for finding such things.

Maybe this has been twisted from him saying we would be looking for a couple of Shaun Barkers, this then becomes 2 lots of £1million to give us £2million and then another £1million added on for good effect?

It was Nigel,not Glick,who said it.He said we could spend £3m on a player,but it wasn't clear whether we would first have to sell-a point we had a disagreement over.I think,but I'm not sure,that the comment came after we'd made our first signings.I don't think a link was put up,but the exact wording of his statement was reproduced on here.Obviously,the statement was made sometime before I left the forum in August.

It was Nigel,not Glick,who said it.He said we could spend £3m on a player,but it wasn't clear whether we would first have to sell-a point we had a disagreement over.I think,but I'm not sure,that the comment came after we'd made our first signings.I don't think a link was put up,but the exact wording of his statement was reproduced on here.Obviously,the statement was made sometime before I left the forum in August.

Thanks - that is why I could not find it!

Not even Manure can produce a whole team out of its academy and lets face it they can buy children from all over the world.

This plan is utter garbage and is just an excuse for the owners and their money men to spend no money. I am begining to wonder if the rapid reduction in the salary levels is to make room for raising finance to develop their piss pot shopping precinct.

If you are happy to continue watching the death from boredom of our club then get in line for your cut price season ticket.

If you would like to see a change to owners who actually care about what happens on the field then BOYCOTT the ST renewals

FO Glick and co

This topic (youth/academy) is a few days old, but rather than start a new one i wanna pose a question , IF youth are the future, i wanted to ask what other more learned football minds, think the effect of being outclassed (today), and outplayed (sometimes) has on their psyche ?

Does it make for a better end product (through having to battle thro the riggors of trying to be all you can be) or a worse one ( demoralised and feeling useless and therefore retreating into ones shell ) its an interesting conundrum methinks.

Also would some say that having players around you to aspire to, and educate you, would be a good thing, whist OB has that in Shackell, Barker, Brayford ? The young midfielders and strikers have no-one ish ?

So would you invest in some experience/quality ?

Or is this whole point useless, because there wont be any investment in said experience/quality....

If not, should the board sell the likes of Bennett and Hughes and re-invest (or pocket it! ...but that kind of money is peanuts between our owners, so dont think they will,fingers crossed )

Just points ive been mulling over,and wondered if anyone else had a view..... this might be interesting

Really? You hide it well- ever thought of playing Poker? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

I've tried, I really have, the last few months in particular, I was even arguing their case to a mate last week, but they just keep dragging you down, the owners and management are so depressing.

f******* w****.

If we can raise the money to spend on a nonsense development plan which builds garbage outside our stadium, then we can raise money to buy us a striker and a midfielder to help us really complete. I would rather they abandon the pride plaza and divert the funds into team spending.

This topic (youth/academy) is a few days old, but rather than start a new one i wanna pose a question , IF youth are the future, i wanted to ask what other more learned football minds, think the effect of being outclassed (today), and outplayed (sometimes) has on their psyche ?

Does it make for a better end product (through having to battle thro the riggors of trying to be all you can be) or a worse one ( demoralised and feeling useless and therefore retreating into ones shell ) its an interesting conundrum methinks.

Also would some say that having players around you to aspire to, and educate you, would be a good thing, whist OB has that in Shackell, Barker, Brayford ? The young midfielders and strikers have no-one ish ?

Or is this whole point useless, because there wont be any investment in said experience/quality....

If not, should the board sell the likes of Bennett and Hughes and re-invest (or pocket it! ...but that kind of money is peanuts between our owners, so dont think they will,fingers crossed )

Just points ive been mulling over,and wondered if anyone else had a view..... this might be interesting

Seems as though the whole point is useless, we haven't got the money for experienced players.

There was also the Gary hooper saga, where glick said in an interview we bid considerably more than the barker fee (why does he always refer to barker fees?), I wonder where all this supposed budget went to?

It always used to be said that you could introduce 1 young player into a team,and maybe 2 into a good team and that any more would be really pushing it.I reckon you could do a lot of harm to youngsters if handled wrongly.

nfb I think our young midfielders and strikers would benefit hugely from playing with good, experienced midfielders and strikers, good point. They don't need to cost the earth, just be better than we've got. Based on recent performances from our front 6 this shouldn't be difficult! However our board don't have the ability to see this.

There was also the Gary hooper saga, where glick said in an interview we bid considerably more than the barker fee (why does he always refer to barker fees?), I wonder where all this supposed budget went to?

According to Glick,we repaid £4.1m of debt in that same month.I view the supposed Hooper bid against that backcloth.

Archived