Academy is the future, says Cloughie.

ladyram

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was feeling fairly positive (for me) up to a couple of weeks ago, what a thoroughly depressing interview.

Got to agree, this will surely boost season ticket sales.

Potential targets: Will Hughes and Mason Bennett if they step up next season. (Oh and O'Brien - that will be like a 'new signing' unfortunately that doesn't count 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' />)

If you think about it, it's not really a surprise I s'pose because maybe all these academy players coming through was in the original 5 (or 10 year as I've heard) plan. So that means we have a bit more waiting to do then? I hope this doesn't come at the cost of some fans deciding to walk away because a few feel like they've waited long enough.

I think this was probably the plan all along and we've been spun a line to keep the season ticket money coming in. Now though they've probably realised that the usual deceit won't work so the new line is reliance on youngsters. If you think back to the last 10 years how many of our youngsters have really made the grade at a level that is good enough to get us into the Prem? I can only think of Huddlestone who is Premiership class. We will never bring through enough top quality kids to build a team that will get promoted to the PL. If there is going to be no significant future investment then the only alternative will be years of mind numbingly dull mid-table mediocrity.

Tomorrow we are playing a club that is being run the way we should be, with good quality signings that haven't cost the earth and a manager whose side plays positive attractive football. That is the way to get promoted, not the GSE way.

I think this was probably the plan all along and we've been spun a line to keep the season ticket money coming in. Now though they've probably realised that the usual deceit won't work so the new line is reliance on youngsters. If you think back to the last 10 years how many of our youngsters have really made the grade at a level that is good enough to get us into the Prem? I can only think of Huddlestone who is Premiership class. We will never bring through enough top quality kids to build a team that will get promoted to the PL. If there is going to be no significant future investment then the only alternative will be years of mind numbingly dull mid-table mediocrity.

Tomorrow we are playing a club that is being run the way we should be, with good quality signings that haven't cost the earth and a manager whose side plays positive attractive football. That is the way to get promoted, not the GSE way.

But they have had the money from the kids (Walcott, Bale & Oxlade-Chamberlain) to get these good quality signings.

When we got promoted 5 years ago how much did we spend in pre-season. About 8-9million? We all know what happened after that. I know we aren't going to get promoted this year (sorry b4) but if we did how much would the owners be prepared to spend? Fook all. Promotion this season or next season would decimate us as we need heavy investment to move on to the next level, you can't just rely on kids.

We aren't going up this season or next I shouldn't think. However, they aren't saying that we will never sign any players just that the signings will complement youngsters coming through. In my eyes this is the way a club should be run- bringing through lads who have an affinity for the club and a desire to do well and help the team. This may help negate the effects that money is having on the game and instil a bit of loyalty. If this desire is supplemented by a few quality signings then the basis is there for a decent side.

I think we overrate our academy products. Tom Carroll for example has shown more off the ball movement in 3 hours of football than i've seen from the entire Derby team. I can see why Spurs are excited. I think Hendrick, Ball and OB, while decent, aren't going to reach any dizzy heights.

Just my opinion and there's plenty of time for them to develop at a faster rate.

We aren't going up this season or next I shouldn't think. However, they aren't saying that we will never sign any players just that the signings will complement youngsters coming through. In my eyes this is the way a club should be run- bringing through lads who have an affinity for the club and a desire to do well and help the team. This may help negate the effects that money is having on the game and instil a bit of loyalty. If this desire is supplemented by a few quality signings then the basis is there for a decent side.

Mmm, good points - but I suppose with any business, profit has to come before loyalty, so I hope they don't get sold.

Mmm, good points - but I suppose with any business, profit has to come before loyalty, so I hope they don't get sold.

Yes I suppose it does- if "offer we couldn't refuse" type money was to come in then we would obviously take it and (hopefully) invest it in a quality signing.

Archived