National Anthems

swansea ram

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you're anti-monarchy you won't like it.

If you don't belive in God you won't like it.

If you are blessed with the gift of functioning ears then you won't like it either because it almost sounds as limp wristed as the Marseillaise.

The National Anthem should be about how great our country is, not about some made up bloke who sits on a cloud all day long stroking his beard, and the most stupid institution in this country who have done f**k all to get what they have.

What pisses me off is that we share the anthem tune with another country - think it is Azerbaijan or Lichtenstein. Scotland booed their anthem when they played them not so long back.

Do we? I didn't know that.

And now I've had my rant, my vote is for Jerusalem out of songs that currently exist. But I still don't think that's ideal. It says that the best thing about being English is that Jesus may have come here once, and we have some quite nice scenery. I think we need a new one writing, something that invokes old school victories like rurkes drift, agincourt and the battle of Britain. Something that says 'if those boys can do that, then you 11 overpaid pansies can get out there and win this bloody game of football / rugby / whatever else you might need some inspiration to achieve.'

And breathe.

I think you need to read the lyrics of Jerusalem a little more carefully. It doesn't say that.

I think you need to read the lyrics of Jerusalem a little more carefully. It doesn't say that.

Fair enough, it doesn't say that's the best thing about being english (and I meant to say best thing about England, which would have made more sense but still would have been wrong). But that is pretty much all the song talks about, and their is far more an anthem should really be focussing on. But it was written as a hymn rather than an anthem, so it probably shouldn't even be a candidate at all.

Land of hope and glory is damn fine shout though, I'll go wih that.

PS You made made me really think. So much so that I went as far as looking on Wikipedia (which is normally the extent of my research into anything). Apparently Land of Hope and Glory has already been voed as the nation's favourite for an English anthem.i

National Anthems should not be changed on a whim. They are, or should be deep rooted in the history and psyche of any country.

However, England, in its role of the dominent country in the union lacks any identity and this is reflected in our national anthem, it is, I believe the British NA!

I love the Monachy and all its pomp and ceremony, but I also firmly believe in the constitution of our nation - our head of state is non political and this is a wonderful levelling measure - something that many European countries could have done with in the last 80 odd years (germany, spain, austria, italy... etc).

The problem is that you can be anti-monachy but still very patriotic. If say, it was changed to Jerusalam would we not be debating in 30 years that it alienates non-Christians and should be changed?

Fair enough, it doesn't say that's the best thing about being english (and I meant to say best thing about England, which would have made more sense but still would have been wrong). But that is pretty much all the song talks about, and their is far more an anthem should really be focussing on. But it was written as a hymn rather than an anthem, so it probably shouldn't even be a candidate at all.

Land of hope and glory is damn fine shout though, I'll go wih that.

PS You made made me really think. So much so that I went as far as looking on Wikipedia (which is normally the extent of my research into anything). Apparently Land of Hope and Glory has already been voed as the nation's favourite for an English anthem.i

The point of the original poem and later the hymn, is basically "did Jesus walk on our bit of turf? did that guy really actually come here? Dunno, but let's not give up as Brits turning our country into Jerusalem".

Some even say Blake was having an outright pop at the Romantics who believed Jesus came to Glastonbury. That could well be implied.

All the bits about Jesus coming here are posed as rhetorical questions, and the point the poem and hymn is making is that it's not the important thing.

The reason why I wouldn't have Jerusalem as our national anthem is that you could do a masters on the hymn and still not know for sure precisely what it's on about. I think you need something with a very strong, clear message that everyone understands.

Like your suggestion of Land of Hope and Glory - surprised that came out on top!

This is weird. I was just thinking about this today. The one thibg no one has mentioned is that its not even the English national anthem. England doesn't have a national anthem. The Scots have a unique one, as do the welsh, but the English have to make do with the BRITISH national anthem. She's not just our queen, she's also the queen of all Britain and the commonwealth. Scots and Welsh (and northern Island) get thir own parliaments. We don't, the British parliament is based in London, makes sense, its the biggest city in Britain, but there is no English parliament. I'm not edl or anything, by the way, can't stand them, and I genuinely love Britain and England's diversity, I also like the idea of being British. But I also love being English, and it pisses me off that we're not allowed anything of our own.

And now I've had my rant, my vote is for Jerusalem out of songs that currently exist. But I still don't think that's ideal. It says that the best thing about being English is that Jesus may have come here once, and we have some quite nice scenery. I think we need a new one writing, something that invokes old school victories like rurkes drift, agincourt and the battle of Britain. Something that says 'if those boys can do that, then you 11 overpaid pansies can get out there and win this bloody game of football / rugby / whatever else you might need some inspiration to achieve.'

And breathe.

just not true about Parliament, scotland, wales etc have devolved powers, so they have a seperate parliament where they can discuss the powers which they are allowed to have. The Parliament in London, deals with Britain, but also powers for england which in scotland etc they decide in their parliament, so technically it is both an english and british parliament. I don't like God save the Queen and I certainly wouldn't want Jerusulum even worse than god save the queen in my book.

Explanation of Jerusalem

"Blake’s visionary landscapes are explored by David Whitmarsh in terms of Trinitarian theology and the theology of Divine self-communication, and Blake is shown to be no confused religious anarchist. To these theological perspectives is added the necessary explanations of Blake’s prophetic understandings of time and space, or his mystical perception of the holy in all living energy forms; this is placed in the context of clear multi-dimensional perceptual strategies, and modern quantum philosophies of science, Black Hole cosmologies and apocalyptic global and personal psychological issues. To the secular reader, David Whitmarsh points to Blake’s depth psychology and analysis of catatonic withdrawal and the journey within into madness and self-destruction, and, a return to sanity through external intervention."

Bloody Hell. And our English teacher claimed Blake had an incestuous relationship with his sister.

Archived