I think we Deserve a proper signing!

Barman

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

First post on here guys so hi.

I personally think we need a new striker and a left back in the summer if we are going to push for promotion. The squads fine for the rest of the season. Theo has gone through a purple patch (luckily in my opinion) but he's a terrible terrible footballer and once his luck runs out he's the kind of player who could go on a long long goal drought

I'm not so sure about Theo. One thing he is good at, so it seems, is getting into the right areas. As long as he maintains that I can see him scoring, just because he's going to get so many chances that he'll put some of them away.

I think the priority in the summer has to be to inject more creativity into the midfield. Ball, Bennett, Ward, Theo, Tyson and Davies will be enough up front. I think we'll only sign another striker if Nigel feels that it's worthwhile going after Noble.

Leftback - wouldn't surprise me if we offer Roberts an extension after this season, and then there's Naylor. If anything I can see NIgel trying to bring in someone who can cover across the back four. Buxton will likely go in the summer, so I'd expect our centreback s to be 2 from Barker, Shackell and OB. Wouldn't mind another one being added there.

If you're good enough to stay up, you're good enough for top 6. Still think we're one player short of really looking like a serious team, although we'll have to see with Carroll.

Even in this latest spell, do you think that's us playing at our best?

Sadly yes, I don't think many players can kick on to be honest and move up a level in quality. We have lots of steady eddy type players at championship level but don't see much more than that. Yes we could get into the play offs, but we are way short even compared to Billy's lot that got us up.

^^ it's an interesting comparison to Billy's side.

I'd say that some areas are better, some worse.

I'd rather have our defence now - Big Dave was a rock at the back and Leacock played well that year next to him, but I think Barker and Shackell is a better partnership. Roberts is better than Camara, but not McEveley. Mears wasn't that great in that season until towards the end of it.

Midfield - Billy side were better. Oakley, Jones, Barnes, Johnson. Bryson, Bailey, Green, etc lack the guile and invention that Billy's side had.

Up front - can't look past Howard. We relied on Howard a lot that season. This year we appear to favour the scatter-shot approach with lots of different strikers pitching in.

That being said, I'd rather watch this side than Billy's. Even when we were winning games, a lot of the time the football was poor.

Interesting one that, I actually enjoyed the Billy days, I remember us spanking a few clubs, one 5 nil if I remember rightly, when Barnes was on fire, I also enjoyed when clough last season had us playing football on the deck with no fear, but to me, ultimately I enjoy games when we are winning. There are a lot of similarities between the two sides IMO, with both building on a solid defensive base.

• Are they some of the richest men on the planet?
  • Do you really want Alan Smith? There's a reason he's in Division Two - he's never fit
  • We are building youth products for the future. If we make these big lavish signings you think we can pull out from nowhere, where do our youth players feature?

According to this site [url=http://news.cnet.com/Techies-dominate-list-of-richest-Americans-under-40/2100-1017_3-245314.html]http://news.cnet.com/Techies-dominate-list-of-richest-Americans-under-40/2100-1017_3-245314.html Jeff Mallet is worth $805 million, don't know if its true or not but wouldn't be far off if he plays such a high profile role in a company like Yahoo!.

No, we wouldn't want Alan Smith, but I'd of taken Matt Tubbs & Billy Sharp any day.

Are these youth players ever gonna reach premier league standards? I doubt it, cynical I know. Also, even if they were to make it to a high standard they'd need better players around them, you get better by training with better players, everyone knows this.

Sadly yes, I don't think many players can kick on to be honest and move up a level in quality. We have lots of steady eddy type players at championship level but don't see much more than that. Yes we could get into the play offs, but we are way short even compared to Billy's lot that got us up.

Billy's lot were an example of what steddy eddys with a few decent footballers can achieve at this level. I don't think Billy's squad was markedly better than this one. Not saying this team is brilliant - I'm saying Billy's team wasn't.

Not necessarily talking about Premier League standard but it's clear several players have more to offer. Not only most of our squad are yet to reach their peak years, we have lots of players who drift in and out of games.

Just to be play devils advocate, say If a prem club came calling for Brayford and offered say a couple of million, reckon the Americans would sell? If we're going down this route and we want to retain players during their "peak years" I'd imagine we're going to have to not only give them reason to say at Derby (i.e the club moving forward not stagnating) but also turn down some decent potential offers.

Dunno why we keep banging on about investing in the team.

There's clearly no chance of that happening. Whether Mallett has the cash to invest in the team or not (and I'm not convinced that he or the other investors have), it's not going to happen. People keep throwing figures like £1m or £2m around, as though it's not a lot of money. If it's not that much, we should have a whip-round and buy a couple of players ourselves.

The only chance of investment is from going further into debt, in the hope that it pays off. And that's a big gamble - just look at Forest.

No - not for me.

Then your argument could easily be turned around and thrown back at you.

What sort of a fan are you that accepts defeat at home to Stoke so easily and is happy to see us mid table in the second division?

Do you actually support the club at all or do you go because you've nothing else to do on a saturday?

Now I don't for one minute think that's true, but that's how the OP would feel when that same argument is used against him in reverse.

Even though this has been pointed out to you, you still use it against him 'I get pissed off with people expecting a miracle every season'.

Which miracle did the OP say he wanted? The virgin birth? The feeding of 23,000 people with 5 burgers?

Sign a reasonable striker to enable us to compete better, is that classed as a miracle these days?

Bananas, because that is the reality of the situation- we aren't in a position to start buying "reliable" strikers as the club have said we don't have millions to throw about, that is what a reliable striker costs. People slagging off the board and the manager because they are doing exactly what they said they would do is what is pissing me off. Oh, those things you posted didn't actually happen you know, even the hilarious twist of using of burgers.

What with the scrimping of money. I as a new fan not disappointed in the board before will just continue to hope that they're making big plans with their conservative financial practices at some point. If they do, it'll pay big dividends. If they don't, well I still cheer on my Royals year after year and they in comparison have a lot more money to spend and a lot less that they actually spend it on probably in a % comparison than the board does here.

To hell with ya mo55y you sarcastic *****! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

And you posted that link of David Glass, look more up about him folks. I guarantee you he makes the Derby board look like big money spenders in comparison, afterall he was only the CEO of Wal-Mart and no one beats that finest of American corporations in cheapness. And he probably has a lot more money behind him to spend. Again, cheap *****.

I originally put up this link,but for some reason it wouldn't display when I clicked on it in my original post,so try again:-

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Glass_(businessman]http://en.wikipedia....ss_(businessman)

Same result again, I see.Try throwing "David Glass,Kansas Royals" into Google and follow the Wiki link and it should throw up an interesting piece,including talk of sweatshops.

In your case, I suppose so. In David Glass's case. No. The man is as slithery as a snake, and ruined one of the finest Baseball clubs out there. And Royals still go out to the ballpark to watch our young talent while we still have it. I've never been to a Royals win in person and I've been to quite a few Royals games.

Archived