I think we Deserve a proper signing!

Barman

I can't believe your even daring to compare Theo to Sharp so I won't bother arguing the toss on that, and as for Smith, he's a big target man in the Steve Howard mould, the kind we need I would have said.

Smith is a big target man in the mould of Steve Howard? It's not the old Arsenal Alan Smith you know - this is the short, tigerish version!!!

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tyson has been injured.

Ward not really a striker.

Noble only just arrived.

Bennett is 15 years old.

Davies has been injured.

On the other hand Ball and Theo have been scoring.

Whats the problem?

That we need another striker, but given that we are unable to get a proven one, we have brought in an unproven player in Noble to help in this area.

How many goals have Tyson, Ward (he plays striker now?), Noble, Bennet and Davies scored over the past 2 months ?

How many have Forests big wages players scored? Ward should get more goals to his name even though he is not an out and out striker he can play as one. It really pisses me off that people are never happy- we are head an shoulders above last season but it is still not good enough. Lets ask Doughty if he wants to come and invest 70 million in Derby next as it obviously worked wonders at Forest.

That we need another striker, but given that we are unable to get a proven one, we have brought in an unproven player in Noble to help in this area.

I can agree with Noble being a strange signing.

But we can't just go and blow a million or 2 on a striker after all this hard work.

Maybe we can afford to in the summer.

Someone posted the other day about the 'proven striker' being a myth and i can agree entirely.

The only proper proven strikers in this league are the likes of Chopra and Earnshaw. How well are they doing this season?

How many have Forests big wages players scored? Ward should get more goals to his name even though he is not an out and out striker he can play as one. It really pisses me off that people are never happy- we are head an shoulders above last season but it is still not good enough. Lets ask Doughty if he wants to come and invest 70 million in Derby next as it obviously worked wonders at Forest.

Why are you comparing us to the Red Dogs ? they are in decline and will probably end up in league one next season, what has this got to do with us ?

Who is on about 70 million ? Someone said we are not short up from, IMO i said we was and backed this up, just because you think we are head and shoulders above last year and are happy with this does not mean everyone has to be.

I think by investing into the team in key areas that we would have a good chance of getting promotion, why does this p*ss you off? If you are happy then good for you, but Im not sure what your arguement is, are you saying that you dont agree that we can improve on this team ? That you are happy with a mid table finish ? You think this team is good enough to get promoted ?

Please enlighten me why me saying this has made you chuck your toys out ?

I can agree with Noble being a strange signing.

But we can't just go and blow a million or 2 on a striker after all this hard work.

Maybe we can afford to in the summer.

Someone posted the other day about the 'proven striker' being a myth and i can agree entirely.

The only proper proven strikers in this league are the likes of Chopra and Earnshaw. How well are they doing this season?

Maybe so, my point was that we have to bring players in that are a gamble as we have no choice, I dont think proven strikers are a myth, its just that they go for silly money, but Owen might be available isnt he ? 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Why are you comparing us to the Red Dogs ? they are in decline and will probably end up in league one next season, what has this got to do with us ?

Who is on about 70 million ? Someone said we are not short up from, IMO i said we was and backed this up, just because you think we are head and shoulders above last year and are happy with this does not mean everyone has to be.

I think by investing into the team in key areas that we would have a good chance of getting promotion, why does this p*ss you off? If you are happy then good for you, but Im not sure what your arguement is, are you saying that you dont agree that we can improve on this team ? That you are happy with a mid table finish ? You think this team is good enough to get promoted ?

Please enlighten me why me saying this has made you chuck your toys out ?

You ain't made me chuck my toys out mate- far from it. It is all the negativity since the weekend that has rankled with me. The point I was making with the red dogs is that it is dangerous to throw money at getting promoted and this is why they are in decline.

There is no point in us chucking money about after we have come so far to be sustainable. People calling for "proper" signings when we haven't seen what the latest ones can do and bitching about us not being in the play offs. The aim this season is not to get promoted but provide another foot hold on us becoming established as challengers for next season or the season after. No I don't think that this team are good enough to be promoted and it would be another disaster if we did go up. I get pissed off with people expecting a miracle every season.

Why should we start buying players in in the hope that we will get promoted this season, just because people want to see new faces for the sake of it?

I'm so glad we're not a fan-owned club.

"Proven" goalscorers just means you pay £3m for a player who's been good at this level for one season.

When Ssausagehorpe signed Gary Hooper, when Norwich signed Grant Holt - where they spending several million? Absolutely not.

The best striker we have with a decent scoring record at present joined our first-team absolutely free, because he's Callum Ball. With his goalscoring record at youth and reserve levels, his size, ball control and eye for goal, how much would it take to sign him?

Anyway, that's irrelevant. Some people want a £2m signing for a £2m signing's sake. I don't understand that. If you're good enough, you're good enough.

Hendrick, Bryson, Ward, Bailey, Shackell, Barker, Fielding, Brayford, Roberts, Ball, probably Robinson, and Paul Green are all good enough in my opinion.

I'm so glad we're not a fan-owned club.

"Proven" goalscorers just means you pay £3m for a player who's been good at this level for one season.

When Ssausagehorpe signed Gary Hooper, when Norwich signed Grant Holt - where they spending several million? Absolutely not.

The best striker we have with a decent scoring record at present joined our first-team absolutely free, because he's Callum Ball. With his goalscoring record at youth and reserve levels, his size, ball control and eye for goal, how much would it take to sign him?

Anyway, that's irrelevant. Some people want a £2m signing for a £2m signing's sake. I don't understand that. If you're good enough, you're good enough.

Hendrick, Bryson, Ward, Bailey, Shackell, Barker, Fielding, Brayford, Roberts, Ball, probably Robinson, and Paul Green are all good enough in my opinion.

What are they good enough for? Mid-top half championship? Top 6?

good enough for 10th place which is a huge improvement on last season and more than most of us expect. 3 more years and we will be in the prem with a team capable of 15th place finish, then 12th, then maybe Europe.....who knows but I believe we will consistently improve until top half prem finishes are the norm. Wow, I am optimistic!

You ain't made me chuck my toys out mate- far from it. It is all the negativity since the weekend that has rankled with me. The point I was making with the red dogs is that it is dangerous to throw money at getting promoted and this is why they are in decline.

There is no point in us chucking money about after we have come so far to be sustainable. People calling for "proper" signings when we haven't seen what the latest ones can do and bitching about us not being in the play offs. The aim this season is not to get promoted but provide another foot hold on us becoming established as challengers for next season or the season after. No I don't think that this team are good enough to be promoted and it would be another disaster if we did go up. I get pissed off with people expecting a miracle every season.

Why should we start buying players in in the hope that we will get promoted this season, just because people want to see new faces for the sake of it?

Then your argument could easily be turned around and thrown back at you.

What sort of a fan are you that accepts defeat at home to Stoke so easily and is happy to see us mid table in the second division?

Do you actually support the club at all or do you go because you've nothing else to do on a saturday?

Now I don't for one minute think that's true, but that's how the OP would feel when that same argument is used against him in reverse.

Even though this has been pointed out to you, you still use it against him 'I get pissed off with people expecting a miracle every season'.

Which miracle did the OP say he wanted? The virgin birth? The feeding of 23,000 people with 5 burgers?

Sign a reasonable striker to enable us to compete better, is that classed as a miracle these days?

His job is to score goals. Theo has scored more goals than him. Why can't i compare?

Only caught the tail end of this thread but if you are talking about this season...

Billy Sharp 18 starts, 2 sub, 10 goals

Theo 13 starts, 9 sub, 6 goals

If you're good enough to stay up, you're good enough for top 6. Still think we're one player short of really looking like a serious team, although we'll have to see with Carroll.

Even in this latest spell, do you think that's us playing at our best?

Only caught the tail end of this thread but if you are talking about this season...

Billy Sharp 18 starts, 2 sub, 10 goals

Theo 13 starts, 9 sub, 6 goals

This season Theo has 8 goals altogether to sharps 10.

While i may be wrong about Theo scoring more, its hardly different.

So why don't i have the right to compare theo to sharp?

This season Theo has 8 goals altogether to sharps 10.

While i may be wrong about Theo scoring more, its hardly different.

So why don't i have the right to compare theo to sharp?

When comparing strikers I think you need to look at previous seasons as well, not because Sharp obviously wins hands down but any player can have a 1 off season, just look at some of the players that have played for England in the past.

Sharp is a proven goalscorer, Theo isn't despite having a decent season. It's also worth noting what Sharp has been through this year, losing a child and breaking a leg.

Billy Sharp's all well and good, but he hasn't got the Pele-esque abilities that Theo displayed for that wondergoal against Hull. The way he fooled the keeper with that dummy shot was genius........ 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

Re the Stoke match, I think our gameplan was to contain them and prevent them from creating too many chances, and then try and nick one on the break. Unfortunately their early goal put paid to those plans and I'm not sure we had a plan B. Disappointing, but hardly representative of our current form so I'm not that bothered. I'd rather have another 3 points in the league, and to be fair, it was achievement enough against Stoke to come out of the game without anyone being hospitalized.

Archived