I think we Deserve a proper signing!

Barman

Just makes me sad to see our great club reduced to signing kids from reserve teams in the Prem while other lesser teams are making good quality signings. Look at MK Dons - Alan Smith snapped up till the end of the season, Southampton getting Billy Sharp, even Bournemouth splashing the cash. Its demoralising, embarassing and unfair on us, and their appears to be no rhyme or reason to it. We've cleared out seven players this window, not including the ones we've loaned out, some of our highest wage earners,and yet there's still no money for wages or permanent signings.

I want to know what is going on at board level and why there is no significant inward investment. We are being taken for fools every season by this board, who in my view are only one notch above the criminals who exploited this club in the three amigos era.

I don't want to hear about Nigel 'waiting until the summer to sign NPC quality players' or 'we're building a young hungry team' or 'FFP is coming' - these are excuses when we should be demanding answers as to why one of the best supported clubs in the country is scratching around with no money to spend when we are owned by some of the richest men on the planet.

• Are they some of the richest men on the planet?
  • Do you really want Alan Smith? There's a reason he's in Division Two - he's never fit
  • We are building youth products for the future. If we make these big lavish signings you think we can pull out from nowhere, where do our youth players feature?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Break up the play and play on the counter attack ? We were 2 nil down, and we were wanted to play on the counter attack with under 10 minutes left, got to be a first on me that one.

And why a 2 million pound player, why not a good addition to an area we need it, we were short up front, and out wide on Saturday, as we have been for most of the season, even NC says we are 2-3 players short, a couple of players in these areas to give us quality in depth would set up us nice for the rest of the season.

Ok, Counter attack probably wasn't the right term but we needed to break their play up nearer the middle of the park and get the ball out sooner- hence Buxton

Short up front? Tyson, Theo, Ward, Noble, Ball, Bennett, Davies- Yep, crying out for strikers aren't we? The 2 million was plucked out of the air because the "proper" signing the original poster was obviously required to be more expensive than the circa 1 million we paid for Shackell as that obviously isn't "proper" enough. Or is it that it was more than 2 months ago so can't be counted? I really think half of our fans are on medication. Why spend 3 years of hardship getting the debts and wages down whilst building a squad on a shoestring just to throw it all out of the window by buying players because some "fans" think that they 'deserve a proper signing'? I really wonder sometimes

I am patient and sorry to present myself as a whinger, but would like to watch some quality from us. We create very few chances and I think we are close to establish a pretty good team but instead of getting that last player on board we get rumours of selling the most influental one. And I agree with those saying we don`t need PL now. I just want us to be up there and be entertained a bit more often by a team I can relate to. I like this division to be honest, it`s a reminder of the good old days and far more charming than that slick PL.

Sorry but who are we selling who is our most influential player?

Damage limitation?

Seems to have miffed a lot of people but I didn't really mind our performance on saturday. We lost to 2 set pieces, not because we were getting carved open, over-run, cut apart with Stokes passing. Baileys been carrying a knock, Hendrick only just back to first team football, I can see why Nige changed it up abit. Losing 2-0 to the 8th best team in the country is no embaressment, especially when we have 2 more important games in the next 7 days.

They only had 4 shots on target. For a team sitting in 8th and in Europe. One goal was offside and both set pieces. Stoke put every team in prem division under pressure on corners.

Regarding Buxton don't expect some on here to understand or give this a thought because it seems that Clough, Glick and the team are having yet another bashing on this thread.

For me the reason why Buxton and Naylor (who no-one has commented on) came on was it would appear Shackell was carrying a minor knock. Further to this he rested Bryson and Bailey because for some unknown reason they may have been getting tired and with Barnsley tonight surely it is better to keep your first team players fresher than they would be if they played 90mins.

Can anyone exactly say what Buxton did wrong when he came on for the final 4 minutes of the 90 plus 3 mins of injury time. The fixture was lost and attention turned to the league which is our main priority.

I know on Championship Manager these concerns don't always come into mind however in real live they have to.

Eh?

We passed the ball around them a fair bit. They scored from two crosses and constantly moaned about every tackle or collision. Typical Stoke. Particulalry in the first half Ward had the beating of Wilkinson, which showed when got hacked down. We obviously watched completely different games but I (and most people around me) were pleased with the way we played and felt we deserved more. Cue the 'that's the level of ambition we've now reached, happy to be beaten by Stoke' comments - I wasn't happy we got beat, I just thought we played better stuff. They were more effective.

If we'd played like them and won half the people on this forum would have had a go at Clough and his negative tactics, saying that they're not happy even if we are winning if we play like that. So basically, no matter what, it's poor management.

As an aside, didn't Glick the spin doctor/liar/con man/clown/w*nker say that we would build a side that could compete for the top six? That's open to debate but in my opinion four points off in January counts as competing.

So aside from one chance towards late in the first half, name another time we looked like scoring, just one, tell me if the game actually looked like a cup tie, where the home team attacked the prem league team, if fact let me know when they looked in trouble ? Ive not read one report on the game, but Ill also give you the option to find something that says we were the better team or at least on a par with Stoke.

If we are within the top 6 at the end of the season, then Glick will have delivered his word, hopefully this will happen, but lets not forget that we are also only 4 points away from the bottom half of this league.

So aside from one chance towards late in the first half, name another time we looked like scoring, just one, tell me if the game actually looked like a cup tie, where the home team attacked the prem league team, if fact let me know when they looked in trouble ? Ive not read one report on the game, but Ill also give you the option to find something that says we were the better team or at least on a par with Stoke.

If we are within the top 6 at the end of the season, then Glick will have delivered his word, hopefully this will happen, but lets not forget that we are also only 4 points away from the bottom half of this league.

The shot count are not accurate as they do not count blocked shots by defenders. There were 2 or 3 incidents in the first half where Stoke players through themselves in front of the ball and blocked it in and around the box. There was also the tackle that took out Ward when through on goal in the first half. There was a corner in the second half from Ward which was going directly in until their keeper clawed it from under the cross bar.

Statistics are not the be all and end all when considering and debating things.

Bring back Baiano and Wanchope. That would add some excitement on the field. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' />

#

That would be a dream come true. I miss having flair players at our club. Although I wonder what Clough would have done with the likes of Baiano, Wanchope, Willems, Simpson, Eranio, Stimac,etc.

I don't think I could have seen NC putting up with Igor.

Ok, Counter attack probably wasn't the right term but we needed to break their play up nearer the middle of the park and get the ball out sooner- hence Buxton

Short up front? Tyson, Theo, Ward, Noble, Ball, Bennett, Davies- Yep, crying out for strikers aren't we? The 2 million was plucked out of the air because the "proper" signing the original poster was obviously required to be more expensive than the circa 1 million we paid for Shackell as that obviously isn't "proper" enough. Or is it that it was more than 2 months ago so can't be counted? I really think half of our fans are on medication. Why spend 3 years of hardship getting the debts and wages down whilst building a squad on a shoestring just to throw it all out of the window by buying players because some "fans" think that they 'deserve a proper signing'? I really wonder sometimes

How many goals have Tyson, Ward (he plays striker now?), Noble, Bennet and Davies scored over the past 2 months ?

The shot count are not accurate as they do not count blocked shots by defenders. There were 2 or 3 incidents in the first half where Stoke players through themselves in front of the ball and blocked it in and around the box. There was also the tackle that took out Ward when through on goal in the first half. There was a corner in the second half from Ward which was going directly in until their keeper clawed it from under the cross bar.

Statistics are not the be all and end all when considering and debating things.

The one that he put his hands up and caught, really ? you are taking the mickey ? I am lost for words and take it all back, you have just proved to me that we were indeed the better team, no point debating any further :-)

No prolific goalscorers there, Shilts. My thought is that some of them could have been if played in a team structured to win games on their own skills. And the most influental player is Green. We have done well with him in the team. I am not saying he is world class, just that he has a positive impact on our team. And seven players out? Are we starting all over again then? And as I stated earlier, it is no crisis, I just feel we deserve a little bit better.

How many goals have Tyson, Ward (he plays striker now?), Noble, Bennet and Davies scored over the past 2 months ?

Tyson has been injured.

Ward not really a striker.

Noble only just arrived.

Bennett is 15 years old.

Davies has been injured.

On the other hand Ball and Theo have been scoring.

Whats the problem?

Oh dear.

What has Alan Smith done for the past 5 years?

Billy Sharp? He scored more than Theo?

Get a grip.

I can't believe your even daring to compare Theo to Sharp so I won't bother arguing the toss on that, and as for Smith, he's a big target man in the Steve Howard mould, the kind we need I would have said.

I can't believe your even daring to compare Theo to Sharp so I won't bother arguing the toss on that, and as for Smith, he's a big target man in the Steve Howard mould, the kind we need I would have said.

His job is to score goals. Theo has scored more goals than him. Why can't i compare?

#

That would be a dream come true. I miss having flair players at our club. Although I wonder what Clough would have done with the likes of Baiano, Wanchope, Willems, Simpson, Eranio, Stimac,etc.

I don't think I could have seen NC putting up with Igor.

With Wanchope it was more of a case putting him in the field and watching what the heck he is going to do next. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

That shows how much you know about football.

Smith, for united and Newcastle, was a defensive mid.

He was a striker for leeds and not a target man. He's also 5 foot 10.

Archived