Barnsley v Derby County

ladyram

Carroll dictated 2nd half? Who the hell were you watching? Did he even pick one good pass? Kept over hitting everything even when not under pressure. A lot to ask of him though and still early days. Certainly a long way off Paul Green standard!

Hope Noble picks up too, I can't actually remember him touching ball?

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just back, quick thoughts: One of the worst first half performances I've seen from a Derby team in a long time, we made them look like Brazil without managing to string two passes together. Could have been five easily by HT though the pen looked dubious.

Second half Barnsley, at 3-0 up, weren't interested in attacking at all, which meant that we were suddenly allowed to dictate the pace and looked much better. Had a couple of very good pen shouts turned down.

Overall then, Tyson looked dangerous, Ward spent the entire night looking like he wished he were somewhere else (something happened, or not happened, transfer wise?), Carroll and Bryson in the middle looked like boys playing against men, Michael Tongue (remember him?) showed them how to do it. Ball battled well, Noble looked quick but couldn't get into the game, the defence looked like strangers.

Don't let the second half "comeback" mask what was an appalling first half performance. If we'd kept it tight first half and picked the right team, three points were there tonight, Barnsley showed in the second half they're not too hot defensively. As it was, come the end, we got what we deserved.

Carroll dictated 2nd half? Who the hell were you watching? Did he even pick one good pass? Kept over hitting everything even when not under pressure. A lot to ask of him though and still early days. Certainly a long way off Paul Green standard!

Hope Noble picks up too, I can't actually remember him touching ball?

I didn't go but by all accounts the commentators made him sound like the busiest man on the pitch second half, and said he had a very good half!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, the only nag I had BEFORE the game with Clough was the midfield balance looked off, but suppose it is with Green also. I think we're a better attacking side with Ben Davies on the wing, but a better defensive more organised side with Green on the right.

Just got in - I agree that the first half was the poorest performance from a Derby side I've seen in a long time - we were dreadful, but I also thought they were very tidy, made great runs and played really well.

Second half we were much better, I think Carroll did ok second half, when a few of our lads remembered how to play with a bit of urgency. And Barnsley were never going to hit the heights of the first half.

Overall, I at least take from the second half that it hasn't all fallen apart - a conclusion that could easily have been draen from the first half. But too young and inexperienced in too many positions for this squad to get near the play-offs.

I didn't go but by all accounts the commentators made him sound like the busiest man on the pitch second half, and said he had a very good half!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, the only nag I had BEFORE the game with Clough was the midfield balance looked off, but suppose it is with Green also. I think we're a better attacking side with Ben Davies on the wing, but a better defensive more organised side with Green on the right.

No idea what game they were watching. He was completely outplayed in the first half and looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Our lightweight midfield was sliced open at will. Better second, but then he was given more time and space to play as Barnsley stood off. He certainly has talent, you could see that when he had time on the ball, and will need it if he's not to be out-muscled.

No idea what game they were watching. He was completely outplayed in the first half and looked like a rabbit in the headlights. Our lightweight midfield was sliced open at will. Better second, but then he was given more time and space to play as Barnsley stood off. He certainly has talent, you could see that when he had time on the ball, and will need it if he's not to be out-muscled.

They said first half he was awful, I would personally hope for a bit of balance on Sunday and a rabbit in the headlights and lightweight is certainly things we could do without, sounds like Bannan when he came here, but be foolish to judge him so early.

They said first half he was awful, I would personally hope for a bit of balance on Sunday and a rabbit in the headlights and lightweight is certainly things we could do without, sounds like Bannan when he came here, but be foolish to judge him so early.

Yeah, I was saying in the car home he reminded me of Bannan when he was here, but as you say we need to give him some time. Need Green back for Sunday, and for Tyson to start. Word for Michael Tongue tonight, he was quality.

As others have said, poor first half, good second; good half-time team talk; spirited fightback with some good football. A strange performance

Carroll reflected the team - lightweight/nervous first half, excellent second. He is very good at finding space for himself, wants the ball, tries to penetrate the defence with his passing and generally played well in the second 45. Yes he did overhit a couple but he kept going. Not Commons like but certainly creative.

Shackell was generally poor - is this the first time he's been back to Oakwell because it looked as if the booing affected him - and that affected the defence in the first half; John Brayford could do with a run of last season form; Barker and Roberts and Fielding were OK.

We were undoubtedly unlucky with the referee - I thought three good shouts for a penalty in the second half. A foot up that was a foul anywhere else on the pitch, a handball and a tackle on Carroll. Not to be but good momentum into Sunday. Let's hope it's a continuation of the second half performance and not the first.

Interesting selection issues - does he bring Bailey back and start with Tyson? Does Carroll continue and Noble play (if Theo is fit)? Does Green come back? An interesting bench selection too

We looked much more urgent when Tyson was introduced. Should have gone 4-4-2 straight away mind, not left it a bit. Hope he is fit to start sunday as Ball-Noble up top left us very limited.

I thought Carroll had a stinker in the first half, knocked off the ball too easy and not the sort of player you want in there when you're on the back foot. Second half he was our most creative player. Alright he over-hit a few but in the second half the majority of his play was good. Reminds me of a Bueno sort of player, a luxory when you're defending but great when attacking. Got to say i'm glad we've got him though, Bailey-Bryson-Hendrick are all good but aren't creative enough between them. Most of their play normally consists of 5 yard passes to each other or the defenders. Got in a good position for his goal, deserved it too in my opinion, looked a different player compared to the first.

Penalty against us was soft. If thats the standard then we should of had 2 of the same and also a big handball shout. Game changers.

Penalty against us was soft. If thats the standard then we should of had 2 of the same and also a big handball shout. Game changers.

Having seen the pen ont telly, it wasa push.... but why he did it i dont know ? the ball was over hit and looked to be going out,or at least difficult to do much with on the byline ?

That said,i think the whole team were in shock at being sooooo outplayed at that point by BrazHill.....

and what a pass by Tonge for their 3rd !

Having seen the pen ont telly, it wasa push.... but why he did it i dont know ? the ball was over hit and looked to be going out,or at least difficult to do much with on the byline ?

That said,i think the whole team were in shock at being sooooo outplayed at that point by BrazHill.....

and what a pass by Tonge for their 3rd !

It's a soft one to give away, like you say, why he's putting his hands up is beyond me. Ridiculous decision from Brayford.

How did they shape up 1st half vs 2nd?

was it 4-5-1 in 1st half, or 4-4-2? And where did tyson play when he came on?

Started 4-4-2 with Ball and Noble up front, after going a couple of goals down brought Noble back onto right wing, moved Hendrick, who was (kind of) occupying that right hand space, into the middle with Carroll and Bryson, and played 4-5-1. When Tyson came on he did a straight swap for Noble and played on the wing, then towards the end seem to creep up to a more forward role.

Archived