Do the yanks actually want promotion?

sideshowbob

I would take promotion too. I'm sure everyone would. But there's no point going up if you can't compete. The team currently would struggle without at least four new, Prem standard players and they may or may not ever materialise. Of course I would take it if it came along, but I'd rather go up confident that the team would be able to compete without a major overhaul, and if we buy well in the summer that's what I would expect to go for next season.

We're likely to need Prem class additions whenever we go up.The reason I came up with the calculations earlier was to show how much we might have to play with without capital investment by the owners.Wolves stayed up with a total wage bill of just under £30m,and if you put players' wages at £27m then it's likely we could have about £16m to fund transfers if we replicated Wolves' bill (I'd said £20m with a £23m wage bill).

The thing that really irritates me is that there was no flexibility within Glick's statement on this window,which was made before he would have any inkling of cup fortunes or what might happen with league results in Jan.He could have said that we'd act according to league position/finances towards the end of the month,but we got a rigid ' couple of loans + a "Bryson" if one could be found' (which is speak for a low budget signing that we'd hope would turn out well).

We're in a good position at the moment and I believe we should make the most of it.Even if we strengthened next year,we could be blighted by injuries,and you never know what shape relegated clubs are going to come down in.There seem to be several near the bottom at present whose managers know what the Championship is all about.Strike while the iron's hot -the window of opportunity might not arise again for years.

We could,of course,still go up this year without strengthening this window,and might regret not having strengthened and integrated a good player prior to promotion (and,because I know someone will say it,I fully appreciate that you could never tell what difference the strengthening would have made).Finally,I think some still feel that Prem relegation leads to financial disaster.Well,as long as you don't go on pointless January sprees,it's unlikely to be so if you operate on realistic wages.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally i think Derby could do with another year in the championship to bring in a few better players (Midfielder,quality striker and a left back) And if the Yanks don't invest and get these players Derby will struggle tto contend. We can't rely on runs all the while.

We need to do it next year.

After the recent wage cull, this summer will be the one where they can finally nail their colours to the mast and bring a few decent players in. If they don't then the fans will finally know that it's never going to happen, and the following summer there will be a lot of players looking for Green type new deals.

I feel a bit more urgency about this. Who knows what next season will bring. I worry that we’re missing a good opportunity to get promoted this season. No one is asking for big money investment – just the two or three players wanted by the manager. If we have a run of injuries in the next few weeks then we could tumble back down the league again.

I think we need to get promoted at the first possible opportunity - but once in the PL we should avoid spending stupidly just to stay up. If the club accepts that relegation is a likely outcome then it can plan to use some of the extra income from a PL season (and the parachute money) to ensure the squad is strong enough to become a ‘yo-yo club’ for a few seasons. Other than a miracle happening, or finding some sugar daddy who’s actually prepared to put his hand in his pocket, this might be the way for Derby to eventually become a stable PL club.

The trouble with being a yo-yo club is that the repeated promotion and relegation shreds the nerves a bit. I think West Brom did it this way but they did seem to get through a few managers in the process.

We need to do it next year.

After the recent wage cull, this summer will be the one where they can finally nail their colours to the mast and bring a few decent players in. If they don't then the fans will finally know that it's never going to happen, and the following summer there will be a lot of players looking for Green type new deals.

Next summer is definitely crunch time,and I regard this window as a mini crunch.If they sell one of our better players (other than Green) to fund summer signings and boost S/T sales,then I think they'd be playing a dangerous game,as fans might be entitled to wonder who might be sold in the following Jan window.

When Glick said "Judge us by our actions" in early summer and talked of expecting to be competing in the top 6,then the "actions" aren't just confined to the (last) summer window-it includes the totality of this window as well.

I feel a bit more urgency about this. Who knows what next season will bring. I worry that we’re missing a good opportunity to get promoted this season. No one is asking for big money investment – just the two or three players wanted by the manager. If we have a run of injuries in the next few weeks then we could tumble back down the league again.

I think we need to get promoted at the first possible opportunity - but once in the PL we should avoid spending stupidly just to stay up. If the club accepts that relegation is a likely outcome then it can plan to use some of the extra income from a PL season (and the parachute money) to ensure the squad is strong enough to become a ‘yo-yo club’ for a few seasons. Other than a miracle happening, or finding some sugar daddy who’s actually prepared to put his hand in his pocket, this might be the way for Derby to eventually become a stable PL club.

The trouble with being a yo-yo club is that the repeated promotion and relegation shreds the nerves a bit. I think West Brom did it this way but they did seem to get through a few managers in the process.

If we were to go up and get relegated,then firstly I don't think that we would have such a miserable time as on the last visit,because I think Nigel would spend rather more wisely.Another significant difference lies in the Academy.We had nothing coming through last time,yet if we were to go up now and be relegated straight away,then Mason and Will would be that much more advanced and others could have started to show.I'd have no qualms about going up now.

No, that wasn't what I was saying. But I don't see our owners supporting NC in the way Peter Coates supports Pulis.

Oh ok sorry i misunderstood, but i believe that if we were to go up then the board wouldn't want us to get relegated so they would trust Clough with funds. Also I think Clough has a better eye for a player than Davies did.

If we were to go up and get relegated,then firstly I don't think that we would have such a miserable time as on the last visit,because I think Nigel would spend rather more wisely.Another significant difference lies in the Academy.We had nothing coming through last time,yet if we were to go up now and be relegated straight away,then Mason and Will would be that much more advanced and others could have started to show.I'd have no qualms about going up now.

I agree. I don't think promotion this year followed by relegation would be nearly as bad as last time. As you say the extra income would be spent by NC (and not that fool PJ) so we would eventually be in a much stronger position to go for promotion again and hopefully make it stick.

I agree. I don't think promotion this year followed by relegation would be nearly as bad as last time. As you say the extra income would be spent by NC (and not that fool PJ) so we would eventually be in a much stronger position to go for promotion again and hopefully make it stick.

I meant more wisely in the prem,but the following season would equally apply! (I'll allow you to amend to "those fools,BD&PJ !).

Oh ok sorry i misunderstood, but i believe that if we were to go up then the board wouldn't want us to get relegated so they would trust Clough with funds. Also I think Clough has a better eye for a player than Davies did.

I'm sure GSE does trust NC. I certainly prefer Clough to BD. But after the last three years I've come to the conclusion that our owners aren't planning any new investment in the squad. It's up to what NC can generate or what promotion might bring.

Under those circumstances promotion might be followed by relegation. It's not certain but it's definitely a strong possibility. Becoming a yo-yo club might be one way to eventually become a more stable PL club again.

Archived