Do the yanks actually want promotion?

sideshowbob

As we have been on a bit of a run recently, and people are starting to talk about the playoff places, Ive been thinking about this and actually wonder if the yanks want Derby to get promoted.

Currently the plan seems to be cost cutting, in 3 years the high earners have been replaced with lower wage earners. We cant even bring in loan players without someone leaving first.

So for this lack of investment and cost cutting, the yanks get 23000-32000 every home game with most attendances being closer to the higher end.

In my opinion, there is nobody in the entire squad who could be genuinely classed as premiership standard. If promoted, the investment needed to create a team that would have a chance of beating the 10 points we got last time would be immense.

The attendances would be higher, but already we have pretty good support.

So if we make the playoffs, there is a 4:1 chance of promotion.

Are the yanks prepared to risk it, or will they decide that top half of championship and reasonable attendances is a better (much cheaper) option?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As we have been on a bit of a run recently, and people are starting to talk about the playoff places, Ive been thinking about this and actually wonder if the yanks want Derby to get promoted.

Currently the plan seems to be cost cutting, in 3 years the high earners have been replaced with lower wage earners. We cant even bring in loan players without someone leaving first.

So for this lack of investment and cost cutting, the yanks get 23000-32000 every home game with most attendances being closer to the higher end.

In my opinion, there is nobody in the entire squad who could be genuinely classed as premiership standard. If promoted, the investment needed to create a team that would have a chance of beating the 10 points we got last time would be immense.

Are the yanks prepared to risk it, or will they decide that top half of championship and reasonable attendances is a better (much cheaper) option?

If we had the eleven players that played against Burnley playing every week in the prem, we'd get more than 11 points.

Many businesses have to take risks in order to succeed but it would appear that our owners don't feel that extra investement wil turn into results on the pitch.

Of course they want promotion but going on experience, for every one success story when heavy money has been invested into playing staff in order to achieve a goal, there are probably ten failures.

I am full of praise for the way in which they are running the club and am proud that I can say with some certainty that we are among the best run clubs in the country with a sustainable plan. You have to go back a long way in the past till you could say that of DCFC.

The owners are also aware they have one of the, if not the finest young British manager at the helm who has nothing but the interests of the club at heart and is a fiercly loyal individual.

Many businesses have to take risks in order to succeed but it would appear that our owners don't feel that extra investement wil turn into results on the pitch.

Of course they want promotion but going on experience, for every one success story when heavy money has been invested into playing staff in order to achieve a goal, there are probably ten failures.

I am full of praise for the way in which they are running the club and am proud that I can say with some certainty that we are among the best run clubs in the country with a sustainable plan. You have to go back a long way in the past till you could say that of DCFC.

The owners are also aware they have one of the, if not the finest young British manager at the helm who has nothing but the interests of the club at heart and is a fiercly loyal individual.

Here here. Just look at last season. QPR bought their way out the Championship with an average manager. Swansea have built for a few years with good young managers. Norwich got a great young manager in and have performed a relative miracle. QPR have been far the worst of the 3 this season.

Football is just another business venture, even more so in the next few seasons. If we get promoted and blow the return on costly transfers and wages, what would you do if it were your money, taking the obvious emotional attachment to the club out of the equation.

Stick or twist when we are one of only a handful of teams meeting the FFP guidelines. Realistically, I suspect the investors don't want promotion unless they are wanting out more or less imediately after promotion, increase the assett value and then run for the hills after maximising their return...hmmm, watch this space.

I think it's how you view the bit I've highlighted in your statement. I would term what's being done as, for the first time in a long time, getting value for money out of the playing staff. Rather than focusing on "lack of investment" we should imo be grateful we have at last owners who won't waste hundreds of thousands or even millions of pounds on players who just aren't worth it.

I will be very interested to see who Nigel has lined up for the summer. If we can improve going forward like we have in defence I think we will have a top six side for sure and even possibly a top two.

I'm sure they want the promotion as quick and cheap as possible. And if we get promoted I'm not expecting big investments. Probably they would try something like Stoke did. First couple of years with a low cost signings and then if still in Premier gradually upgrating the team. And while doing that they would listen to offers but would not sell unless they would make big enough profit.

They have offered very little help to Clough. He keeps pointing out the squad needs another 3 quality players to be where they want to be. i.e genuinely competative. Glick has never talked about wanting promotion. His line has always been they want a side that can compete in the championship. The owners are happy as it is now.

They have offered very little help to Clough. He keeps pointing out the squad needs another 3 quality players to be where they want to be. i.e genuinely competative. Glick has never talked about wanting promotion. His line has always been they want a side that can compete in the championship. The owners are happy as it is now.

when they in they said the aim was to reduce the debt and maximise revenue streams- which they have largely done. Then, make us competitive in the Champ- 2 points off play offs is competitive. Then get us promoted SUSTAINABLY and establish us as a premiership side- 2 out of 3 so far......

when they in they said the aim was to reduce the debt and maximise revenue streams- which they have largely done. Then, make us competitive in the Champ- 2 points off play offs is competitive. Then get us promoted SUSTAINABLY and establish us as a premiership side- 2 out of 3 so far......

Selective memory.

When they (came) in they said the aim was an immediate return to the Prem followed by turning us into a global brand.

When the parachute payments ran out they decided they were in the **** and had to cut costs.

Selective memory.

When they (came) in they said the aim was an immediate return to the Prem followed by turning us into a global brand.

When the parachute payments ran out they decided they were in the **** and had to cut costs.

Stop talking sense. People don't like it.

Selective memory.

They made a bad, but understandable as they were new to the game, error by backing Adam Pearsons choice of manager.........Take a bow Mr Jewell.

Look at those fallen trees to the east. For several seasons ND pumped in a lot of money to build a squad and get out of this divison, even taking a risk employing BD. It failed, though by a very thin margin, it still failed.

That failure has now cost them, and is looking like it will be more than what it cost us when we utterly failed in the prem. ND is putting in no new investment, he is only paying the contracts that are already in place. They won't have parachute payments if they get relegated, the squad will just be dismantled, gates and other revenue will dry up and they will be in that league for a while, ala Leeds, Southamption, Sheffield x2 and a few others.

Getting promoted in this league is all about making sure it is done in a balanced way, unless you have a pots of cash and no timeframe. Unfortunatly even the loaded clubs will expect the promotion to come, as they will not spend money for ever (Prem top 6 don't count as they are in the position everyone wants).

Selective memory.

It is your selective memory- you say that Glick has ever talked about promotion- erm yes he has. Exactly as I said, apologies for thinking it was when they first came in it was later.

Archived