Ross Wilson coming in from Watford as DOF???

spike1969

I don't expect a DOF would be necessary if Glick was competent and knowledgable! Paying the DOF will mean less wages available for players. Glick is an agent for the owners with no knowledge of the finer workings of the English soccer transfer market.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This would be a massive coup for DCFC, i live down south because of my job and live near to Watford - about 10 miles away but the local paper and some of the lads at work that are Watford fans say that he has been superb for them since he joined just under a year ago, say he talks really well at fans events, has really good relationships with agents and is a real driver of academy etc . I am sure when he went to Watford he had turned down Celtic or Rangers

if this was true i would be pleased that we had gone for someone young, presumably ambitious and also not a stereotypical ex-footballer or coach

Think his lack of coaching background will help matters. Thats one of the things Watford seemed to like about him. He is not a coach. He helped out Dyche alot after Mackay left bringing in players and staff. Wouldent interfere with our current coaches so wouldent cause friction with Clough and co you would hope.

Not that I am overly defending Tom Glick but he is certainly in good company as a director of football is hardly a new concept.

Who will we blame when this guy inevitably fails to secure a target?

Yes you are :-)

Im trying to actually remember a successful DOF at any english club, whereas I can name countless failed attempts, including the last one at Derby, oh and the one before that is still in prison ?

Looking at his CV though, my guess would be that he is more than likely going to be implementing a "youth" model for forthcoming years, and the transfer side of things is an added bonus.

Derby have never made the most of the facilities at Moor Farm. Lionel Pickering said he wanted it to help Derby produce 4 or 5 young professionals a year good enough to make an impact at the club. This never happened. Watford already are well on the road to making a success of their youth developement policy. For years we have failed to produce quality players. If we get someone in to make the most of our Academy we will reap the benefits.

Well Tom Glick doesn't know what he's doing as demonstrated by several transfer bungles over the last few years. So we need a DOF because our Chief Executive can't cut it. Given the board are so concerned with wages I wonder if they'll reduce the Chief Executive's wages by the amount being paid to the DOF. Seems fair to me!

I think you forget that we still trade at a nett deficit in the latest accounts, so I guess Mr Glick may argue that he isn't making a return on his investment, just thought I'd point this issue out.

Back on thread, this has been planned for a while and is no big suprise. Glick said this was to allow the board to focus on maximising revenue streams, sounds like his attention will be turning to coffee bars, hmmm...

I think you forget that we still trade at a nett deficit in the latest accounts, so I guess Mr Glick may argue that he isn't making a return on his investment, just thought I'd point this issue out.

Back on thread, this has been planned for a while and is no big suprise. Glick said this was to allow the board to focus on maximising revenue streams, sounds like his attention will be turning to coffee bars, hmmm...

His investment? I thought TG had personally invested nothing, or next to nothing, in the club. He does get a very good salary.

I don't expect a DOF would be necessary if Glick was competent and knowledgable! Paying the DOF will mean less wages available for players. Glick is an agent for the owners with no knowledge of the finer workings of the English soccer transfer market.

He has been doing the job for four years, during that time we have made some fairly decent signings, why do you say he has no knowledge...... Doesn't he also sit on the FL board?

You should speak to the man, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by his knowledge.

He has been doing the job for four years, during that time we have made some fairly decent signings, why do you say he has no knowledge...... Doesn't he also sit on the FL board?

You should speak to the man, I think you will be pleasantly surprised by his knowledge.

I think you'll find speaking about a subject in an objective manner after making a reasonable attempt to understand the facts is not how we do things on this forum.

He is shown as a director of Gelaw so he has definately invested, just not sure how much.

Yes, but it’s misleading to suggest that he’s one of our investors (owners) looking for a return on his investment. Especially given that TG has emphasised more than once that he’s only got a very small stake in the club and that he shouldn't be seen as one of the investors (owners) by the press/media.

Who knows how GSE describe the set up they’ve created - but as far as I can see TG is a salary man just like all the other employees at PP.

Nor we would we need any new players if the Americans could play football to a decent standard, then they could run the club during the week and play at the weekends.

I imagine if you look at all clubs owned by foreign investors the majority are run by somebody else.

Derby have never made the most of the facilities at Moor Farm. Lionel Pickering said he wanted it to help Derby produce 4 or 5 young professionals a year good enough to make an impact at the club. This never happened.

I think this was down to manager at the time. Clough has only started to use the assets available to him at the youth academy, we had players come through in the past that have gone off to other clubs and done alright with them.

In the past 3 years we have seen:

Ball, Hendrick, O'Brien, Bennett, Severn, Hughes all play for the first team, whereas the 3 years previous to Clough's reign we saw, Addision?

Billy Davies and Paul Jewell adopted a different, more expensive strategy to Clough and wanted established players, unfortunately these came at an established price, and that proabably weren't much better then the youth players we had today. If you had the choice of Ball or Tito Villa? Hendrick or Savage? O'Brien or Claude Davis?

All down to personal preference in the end, the point is if managers did was to produce 4 or 5 good players every year then Moor Farm was capable of doing so.

Nor we would we need any new players if the Americans could play football to a decent standard, then they could run the club during the week and play at the weekends.

I imagine if you look at all clubs owned by foreign investors the majority are run by somebody else.

I'm sorry G STAR RAM but that is a bit of a stretch. I want Glick to perform as a Chief Executive nothing more. There may be DOFs around in football but not many outside top divisions at clubs being careful with wage bills!

Archived