Who's good enough?

DerbyRam!

Fourth best English keeper is nothing to shout about, Fielding is average. Had good games recently but was equally poor before that.

Calling Theo Robinson a 'magnificent' player loses your argument a lot of creditabiltiy.

Apart from that, i agree with you.

Although, the injuries excuse is getting a bit old. Every team suffers injuries, this is Nigels squad now, he's had years to assemble it. It should be able to cope with injuries.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fourth best English keeper is nothing to shout about, Fielding is average. Had good games recently but was equally poor before that.

Calling Theo Robinson a 'magnificent' player loses your argument a lot of creditabiltiy.

Although, the injuries excuse is getting a bit old. Every team suffers injuries, this is Nigels squad now, he's had years to assemble it. It should be able to cope with injuries.

Think you missed the point of the magnificent. Wasn't calling him a magnificent player. I was trying to highlight that we had 5 out 11 or 16 players if you count the subs playing at the time. It meant to sound a magnificent 5 out of 11 or 16 players fit at the time

As I have said, you can predict all you want but it doesn't always work out like you think it would, quite the opposite in fact. I never thought Howard wouldn't cut it, was a shame.. same with Leacock, Bywater and few others.

I will not say any of players will or will not make it, I have opinions but I could be miles off, and not willing to argue a speculative argument.

We're not good enough away from home to get promoted or if we did, make a fist of staying up in the Prem. Nigels been here a while now and he still doesnt know how to play away from home. At home, from what i see and read, we can beat anyone in this division. Away from home, our game plan consists of defending for 90 minutes and try to nick a goal. The majority of the time, even at this level, it doesnt work yet Nigel still does it. At the top level we'd get found out even more.

14 points on the road suggests he does know how to play away...

We'd change our style, we'd have to, if we went up.

Yes and quite often the fact that be beat someone usually has some negative so and so saying "it was only their reserves" or "they were depleted by injuries" etc. In other words it's always an excuse for the opposition if we win but never an excuse for us if we lose.

A balanced viewpoint (from both sides of the arguement) would gain some on here a lot more credibility.

Yes and quite often the fact that be beat someone usually has some negative so and so saying "it was only their reserves" or "they were depleted by injuries" etc. In other words it's always an excuse for the opposition if we win but never an excuse for us if we lose.

A balanced viewpoint (from both sides of the arguement) would gain some on here a lot more credibility.

I havent said that, i guess you're referring to the West Ham game, even with injuries they had a very strong side out.

14 points on the road suggests he does know how to play away...

We'd change our style, we'd have to, if we went up.

No point looking looking at the short term, Cloughs overall win percentage away from home is about 22% (i think) which is poor.

It's poor cos most of the time away from home our performance isnt good enough, cos we're too negative. Yes we beat Watford and Hull this season but if anyone was pleased with that style of play when winning they're mad. Clough has proved over time that the style he plays doesnt work, yet he keeps trying it.

If you read back on posts you would realise you've taken the wrong end of that quote.. That quote I was trying to say is you're not PL class if you've got relegated and not then been wanted by a PL club.. Hence why I said half of Blackpools squad as the likes of Adam and Vaughan (possibly DJ too) proved they were PL class..

I said before a top player even at an underperforming club will be wanted by someone higher up.. Like you say, Scott Parker, Demba Ba, Charlie Adam, Gary Cahill etc.. These are PL class.. But that's what I mentioned about Barker, not one team in the playoffs let alone the PL wanted him therefore no one can say he's PL class until he plays there and stays there.

I know people don't agree with what I say, I can live with that, I do find it funny when people jump all over my posts though and are quick to slam them without actually reading previous points.

Hmm, well the only reference that you previously made to this point that I could see is this:

“The only way we will know is if they're regularly playing for a PL club or has shown ability during the times they've played at PL level for a club of 17th or above..”

Which is a little vague don’t you think?

For the record I agree with you that we probably won’t go up this year, but I don’t think the margins that make a player PL class are as black & white as you’re making it out to be.

The point I was making is that you can’t fully categorise the talent of players based purely on where their team lies in the table and which division they lie in.

By your logic, Wigan & Wolves are teams made up of PL class footballers because they usually manage to finish around 16-17th each year – yet each season they struggle despite having this supposed abundance of “PL class”.

The reason being is because most their players probably lying on the cusp between championship and PL standard – therefore just because they play for a team in the PL does not mean that they are PL Class.

This illustrates the fuzzy margins that exist between the publics perception of what “is” PL Class and what “isn’t”. It’s for that reason that I think your assessment of our team’s chances in the PL (particularly Barker) is a little unfair.

Until our players are given the chance to play in the premier league – it is tricky to say with 100% conviction whether they would succeed or not.

Personally I think (like with most teams that go up) there will be a few players’ in our squad who would be able to make the step up. To my mind Barker would be one of those players, however until it actually happens no one will know for sure.

No point looking looking at the short term, Cloughs overall win percentage away from home is about 22% (i think) which is poor.

It's poor cos most of the time away from home our performance isnt good enough, cos we're too negative. Yes we beat Watford and Hull this season but if anyone was pleased with that style of play when winning they're mad. Clough has proved over time that the style he plays doesnt work, yet he keeps trying it.

We played well at Blackpool, forest, large parts of the Peterborough game amongst a few others - and to be honest, winning away is so much more important than playing well away.

We didn't play lovely football under Davies and nobody complained then - we're 9th under Clough, in striking distance of the play offs, so what's so different?

I'd say he's proved when he's got a full, fit squad that he's assembled, we're a decent team. Not sure how on earth you can just pluck out the sky that his system doesn't work away from home, when the results have been half decent. I know you're a Clough hater but you can't just put an inaccurate slant on things to suit your argument.

We didn't play lovely football under Davies and nobody complained then - we're 9th under Clough, in striking distance of the play offs, so what's so different?

I would say we didn't play lovely football under Billy

but we had some young skilful players in that team who were a real joy to watch.

I mean Giles Barnes, Arturo Lupoli and David Jones. We had Seth Johnson too.

Now we have a bunch of useless hard workers. No real talent in this squad at all. T[size=4]hat's where the difference.[/size]

...except for the last four matches, which we appear to have won.

but we had some young skilful players in that team who were a real joy to watch.

Now we have a bunch of useless hard workers. No real talent in this squad at all. T[size=4]hat's where the difference.[/size]

Giles Barnes didn't play much in the promotion season. Arturo Lupoli's form was patchy, great at times and non existent at others.

And don't forget, BD didn't have the remit to rid the squad of all high wage earners and replace them with players who can maintain the current level.

How can you be so disrespectful to call our players useless. Those same useless players have recorded significant wins over supposed greater opposition.

Remind me again who was a joy to watch under BD?! We got results but were second best in most of the games and recorded attritional 1-0 wins. Nothing wrong with that but lets not start to suggest that his side was full of skill and talent because that was simply not the case.

Define useless - we're 9th in the league.

Useless means we're bottom, adrift. I'd say we've got exciting young players now - Callum Ball, Jeff Hendrick, Mark O'Brien. Infact the only difference is, they're from our youth academy.

Giles Barnes didn't play much in the promotion season. Arturo Lupoli's form was patchy, great at times and non existent at others.

And don't forget, BD didn't have the remit to rid the squad of all high wage earners and replace them with players who can maintain the current level.

How can you be so disrespectful to call our players useless. Those same useless players have recorded significant wins over supposed greater opposition.

Remind me again who was a joy to watch under BD?! We got results but were second best in most of the games and recorded attritional 1-0 wins. Nothing wrong with that but lets not start to suggest that his side was full of skill and talent because that was simply not the case.

Barnes played 41 games in the league that season (31 of them starts) and scored 8 goals.

I am not saying that side was FULL of skill and talent. There are were SOME skilful players in that team.

Now we have no skill and flair at all. Oh wait i forgot about Theo... and Bryson is the new "Iniesta".

Define useless - we're 9th in the league.

Useless means we're bottom, adrift. I'd say we've got exciting young players now - Callum Ball, Jeff Hendrick, Mark O'Brien. Infact the only difference is, they're from our youth academy.

OK. "Useless" isn't the right word in this case.

I meant they are talentless, average, boring e.t.c.

OK. "Useless" isn't the right word in this case.

I meant they are talentless, average, boring e.t.c.

I think you got that bit right 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' />

Par hendrick, i like him and think he could easily play in the lower reaches of the premiership with some practise

Archived