Overrated Footballers

CumbrianRam

I agree Beckham is over-rated, but still a very good player but never the world beater made out to be but he turned up in the important moments, and was/is good for England, there is so many though... so many.

Paul Scholes never as good as made out, was good but never agreed with him being called a great.

Jamie Carragher rightfully left out the england team, wasn't better than Ferdinand nor Terry.

Eric Cantona was good, but properly exaggeratedly over-rated.

Dennis Bergkamp same as above... technically brilliant, should of scored more though.

As I said there are so many to pick from, so many! David Bentley managed to get the nickname the new david beckham and that saw him play at a good level for a while before dropped and then playing in the championship, there are a few.

Would be harder to pick 'under-rated' players, for me I never EVER understood how anyone could rate Scholes higher than Lampard, bemused me.

Christ, for someone that w*nks off most of our average players you're not easy to impress, was it you that said James Bailey to be sold for 2.5 million?

Bergkamp and Scholes over rated? Rated for a reason, two great players.

See what you're saying about Billy Sharp, but his scoring record at this level is very, very good and he scores some great goals.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with that except Bergkamp. He was something special, he was more a creator than a scorer, and that goal he scored against Argentina in 98 WC. Wow.

He had flashes of brilliance that couldn't be touched in world football, and he did create a lot, 416 games 120 goals 111 assists which is good, but I never brought people saying he was the best player they played with, if that was the case he should of produced more still, like I said still good but never what people made out.

Michael carrick should never be near the england squad.

Di maria for real madrid, never seen him do anything that I thought was any good, yet the commentators on sky love him?

Lassana diarra see above

Gareth bale he is good but not this world superstar that is the saviour of spurs and wales

I am sure I will be back with some more

Bale won PFA player of the year voted by his fellow professional players didn't he? Then the Spurs fan's voted Modric as there Player of the year.. Clear vote he's over rated!

Christ, for someone that w*nks off most of our average players you're not easy to impress, was it you that said James Bailey to be sold for 2.5 million?

Bergkamp and Scholes over rated? Rated for a reason, two great players.

See what you're saying about Billy Sharp, but his scoring record at this level is very, very good and he scores some great goals.

Every player has their own level of people creaming over them, Sharp is the most talked about striker in the championship but I bet most of the people who rate him have barely watched him or saw highlights, he doesn't create and he doesn't seem to work hard enough for the team, he just scores goals... he is very good at that.

Bergkamp and Scholes both got called world class, amongst the worlds best... for me, not at all. Scholes wasn't even Englands best centre midfielder, if Scholes was as rated as Bailey, then he would be massively under-rated but since he is made out to be one of the best in the recent generation, some even rate him as the best centre midfielder of the premiership generation, I'm out..

They were amongst the world's best in their prime - Bergkamp was sublime, scored 37 goals in 70 at International level even though he wasn't an out an out striker - he was the all time top scorer for a time until Kluivert overtook him.

As for Scoles, well Zidane said this which says it all really

“He’s almost untouchable in what he does,” said Zidane. “I never tire of watching him play. You rarely come across the complete footballer, but Scholes is as close to it as you can get. One of my regrets is that the opportunity to play alongside him never presented itself during my career. He was an extremely tough opponent to play against. You didn’t get any time on the ball when he was around. He would close you down and make your life ­terribly uncomfortable. He is the type of player you want on your side, not in ­opposition because he could do so much damage. He is very gifted. He makes the game look easy because he’s so much natural ­ability.”

Back on track - I'd agree on Beckham especially living in Asia where he was often touted as being the best footballer in the world - Per Mertesacker has won around 80 caps for Germany so someone must rate him, I've not seen a lot of ibrahimovic but every time I have I've been disappointed and I never understood Kilbane having a premier league career and 100 odd caps - even b4 he came here I viewed him as extremely average

Who rates Croft?

Scott Parker, the **** fest over him has died down the last few weeks but earlier in the season it was unreal.

Suarez as well.

Come on, Scott Parker's a great player. West Ham would have been long relegated without him last term , and he's been outstanding for Spurs this season.

Name a player who does his job better than him. Infact I'll open that up and say worldwide. I bet there's not more than 2 or 3.

Good point on Suarez.

Theo?

Not by me though

According to soccerbase Theo has scored 6 goals in 11 appearances but 9 of them were from the bench (not sure when this up til)

Whilst Mr Sharp has scored 25 in 43 which were all starts apart from 4.

Surely Theo is underrated as much as Sharp is overrated? Not saying that Theo is a 20 goal a season striker but he is getting the goals in his unorthodox style

Surprised at some of these. Sharp overrated? He suffered a broken leg on the opening day as well as his personal problems in November and he's still one of the division's leading scorers. "All he does is score goals"? He's a striker and his game relies on getting into good positions and finishing opportunities, I wouldn't want him doing anything else.

Beckham was one of the best players in the world, you don't win over 100 international caps, captain your country and win nearly every major tournament in Europe without having a good amount of talent.

For my list, add Lampard and Terry. Two overly physical players who have an entire team built around them (and their egos).

Lee Camp. Had potential to be a top keeper when he was here but his constant mardarse behaviour ruined it for him.

Come on, Scott Parker's a great player. West Ham would have been long relegated without him last term , and he's been outstanding for Spurs this season.

Name a player who does his job better than him. Infact I'll open that up and say worldwide. I bet there's not more than 2 or 3.

Good point on Suarez.

Good point on Suarez.

I dont really like holding mids that get over hyped, cos imo, it's probably the easiest position to be good at. Parker is good at it, but he's good at running around, making tackles, throwing his body on the line etc. A lot of fans rate players that work hard, Savage some how got plaudits here, i read Brighton fans say how good Mackail Smith is yet i think he's very average, Kuyt at Liverpool etc. I appreciate genuinely quality footballers, not someone you could find at your local athletics club. Parker is a grafter, but on the ball he's very limited and i dont rate footballers of that mould.

Every player has their own level of people creaming over them, Sharp is the most talked about striker in the championship but I bet most of the people who rate him have barely watched him or saw highlights, he doesn't create and he doesn't seem to work hard enough for the team, he just scores goals... he is very good at that.

Bergkamp and Scholes both got called world class, amongst the worlds best... for me, not at all. Scholes wasn't even Englands best centre midfielder, if Scholes was as rated as Bailey, then he would be massively under-rated but since he is made out to be one of the best in the recent generation, some even rate him as the best centre midfielder of the premiership generation, I'm out..

What better englishman was better than Scholes at that time?

The quote from Zidane says it all, if you're getting that sort of recognition from Zidane it's not even worth discussing.

Surely the definition of being over-rated doesn't mean that they're not good, it means that people over-rate their ability.. Someone could be a very good player, but if they're called world class that would be over-rating them..

The following players IMO are over-rated, depsite being good players, people have made out they're something they clearly aren't.. It's unfair to lavish Kevin Kilbane or Emile Heskey as over-rated, as no one genuinely said they were top players to begin with.. For example Ibrahimovic is over-rated, whilst a top top player who has won titles everywhere, he is not a worldclass player and never warranted the $50mill odd that Barca paid for him, especially as a better striker Eto'o went the other way.. Anyway here is my list

Scott Parker - Needed by everyclub? No way.

Luka Modric - He can keep the ball nicely, but he doesn't score, doesn't assist and barely moves.. No way a $30mill player

Phil Jones - IMO an average defensive midfielder with poor positioning.. $20mill? Joke, surely

Jack Rodwell - Future rock of England, I hope not

Joe Cole - Someone said he can do anything Messi can do.. What a plank.

John Terry and Frank Lampard - Have taken advantage of a poor PL for far too long

Adebayor - How does he continue to get contracts at big clubs, he's dire IMO

Craig Bellamy - People keep mentioning how he's the signing of the season whereever he goes, why?

Robinho - Another player who IMO isn't even that good, tries the hollywood throughball all the time and his movement is poor.. predictable and easy to play against

Of the past

Eric Cantona - Given some sort of godlike status for having a personality, on the pitch he wasn't a great.. No way.

Francesco Totti - Once again the goldenboy of Italian football, he was an Att Mid that drfited in and out of games and was really slow

Mendieta - After heping Valencia to a CL final (somehow) he also became a goldenboy this time of Spain.. Failed with a big move to Lazio and then to Boro of all places.. Very over-rated player

Archived