Wage Bill discussion (split)

ramblur

For someone who isn't paid the most, money is more important..

For someone who is minted already and would rather sit on the bench for 40k a week rather than play everygame for 25k a week you'd have a point..

But Leacock would have to drop from near $10k a week to about $3k a week tops to become a regular at someone like Peterborough or Barnsley.. For him it's not worth it, he's going to get a club and a $2k or $3k a week anyway offer come June, for the sake of his family and well-being it would be in his best interest to gather up the cash now..

$10k a week is alot of money to be earning a week and that can support your family really well.. $2k on other hand whilst is also really good it's not a life changing amount of money.. Theres alot more you can do earning $10k a week than $3k a week whereas there isn't that much more you can do earning $40k a week rather than $25k a week, hence footballers like Leacock sitting on a big contract rather than looking for first team football.

To be fair to this administration (cue gasps all round) ,given numerous issues similar to this,I can fully understand their current low wage policy.This,in my opinion ,has led to the formation of a half decent base of a team,but it's the next stage that perplexes me.I think most would agree that we need an injection of real quality as the next step,but how do we achieve this if we aren't prepared to pay the going rate on wages for someone of real ability (even ignoring a fee).I believe that any real quality is going to have to come from the academy,hence the fast tracking of certain teenagers.I'm prepared for the long haul and remain fascinated (yet frustrated) by the whole business.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair to this administration (cue gasps all round) ,given numerous issues similar to this,I can fully understand their current low wage policy.This,in my opinion ,has led to the formation of a half decent base of a team,but it's the next stage that perplexes me.I think most would agree that we need an injection of real quality as the next step,but how do we achieve this if we aren't prepared to pay the going rate on wages for someone of real ability (even ignoring a fee).I believe that any real quality is going to have to come from the academy,hence the fast tracking of certain teenagers.I'm prepared for the long haul and remain fascinated (yet frustrated) by the whole business.

First off welcome back ramblur, we have missed you mate and I hope your health is good.

I think the master plan is that the "new regulations" that Glick has been instumental in pushing through (and Wham are now fighting) will level the playing field and enable us to become more competitive on our planned budget. I think this is consistent with the Academy and investment in youth incentive we have been pursuing and why Cloughie has had to be so patient as it truly is a long term plan that is showing great signs with the current departures of actually bearing fruit

Wise words as usual mate. Welcome back.

[size=2]bloody glory hunter, jumping on the bandwagon cos were gonna get automatic promotion/FA Cup double [/size][size=2] 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />[/size]

Hey ramblur. How's the health?

Firstly,thanks to all who've wished me well-I won't reply individually as it's a bit of an effort to be back posting.I just wanted to address a couple of issues before taking another time out -I've no longer got the will or stamina to engage in long, drawn out financial issues.

I got an early Christmas present of rheumatoid arthritis,predominantly in both hands (and vicious preliminary attacks).Many may know that this is an immune disorder and there's a chance that my immune system may be attacking major organs,a bit disconcerting as I've had several undiagnosed issues over the last few years.Participating in the forums may well have had no adverse effect after all (trouble is,I now rather wish it were the culprit!) Unfortunately,I'm suffering bad side effects from the steroids I'm having to take,still nothing that a good Rams win won't fix.

First off welcome back ramblur, we have missed you mate and I hope your health is good.

I think the master plan is that the "new regulations" that Glick has been instumental in pushing through (and Wham are now fighting) will level the playing field and enable us to become more competitive on our planned budget. I think this is consistent with the Academy and investment in youth incentive we have been pursuing and why Cloughie has had to be so patient as it truly is a long term plan that is showing great signs with the current departures of actually bearing fruit

Thanks dabber,You've actually led me into the issue I wanted to address.FFP will only work to our advantage if we spend the players' wages that are allowed under regulations (understood to be 55% of turnover).On the £18m turnover recently divulged by Glick (although falling attendances may depress this somewhat),we would be allowed to spend £9.9m,similar to the "below £10m" figure we used to have shoved down our throats on a regular basis.If wages were pitched significantly below this,then a rival club with lesser turnover could be running a higher wage bill.

The following came from the days when wages were divulged:-

[url=http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/finances-fine-health/story-11596332-detail/story.html]http://www.thisisderbyshire.co.uk/finances-fine-health/story-11596332-detail/story.html

You'll notice that 08/09 players' wages were given as £15m.I used to have another DET link (which no longer works) relating to the publication of the 08/09 accounts,given in April 2010,in which this £15m figure is repeated.It also gave 07/08 players' wages at £23m and gave the (then) current bill at £11.5m (and there's been an awfull lot of wages removed since).Interestingly,the splendidly candid Metgod said, in the not too distant past,that they'd halved the wage bill in their time.Given that they inherited £15m,it's not too difficult to work out what it must have been at the time Metgod said it.Small wonder that they're no longer keen to divulge figures-it allows them to trot out "we're still competitive" and "we're over budget and can't sign players" at will and we've no way of knowing if it's true, as we're not told what the bill currently is,or what it's supposed to be.

An interesting exercise is to list the squad minus all of those out of contract on July 1st and estimate the wage bill-you might be surprised with the figure you come up with.Admittedly,there will probably be some additions,but I bet they'll be low wage ones!Metgod's assertion seems highly plausible to me.

I've other links on wages from the good old days and will post up when I've rooted them out.

That is the issue though isn't it? We appear to be entering a new phase in football with FFP. Next season and beyond what exactly is "the going rate"? Wage bills are going to be related to turnover aren't they?

Would be good actually if some decent Jurno's or Gibson from Radio Derby actually quizzed Tom Glick on FFP and we all got a better understanding of where we are with it!

That is the issue though isn't it? We appear to be entering a new phase in football with FFP. Next season and beyond what exactly is "the going rate"? Wage bills are going to be related to turnover aren't they?

Would be good actually if some decent Jurno's or Gibson from Radio Derby actually quizzed Tom Glick on FFP and we all got a better understanding of where we are with it!

Point I'm trying to make is that a rival could have,say,turnover of £14m and be spending the whole 55% allowed on wages,viz £7.7m .We could run a wage bill a fair bit less than this and be unable to compete with the rival in a player chase,even though our turnover is significantly higher

Firstly,thanks to all who've wished me well-I won't reply individually as it's a bit of an effort to be back posting.I just wanted to address a couple of issues before taking another time out -I've no longer got the will or stamina to engage in long, drawn out financial issues.

I got an early Christmas present of rheumatoid arthritis,predominantly in both hands (and vicious preliminary attacks).Many may know that this is an immune disorder and there's a chance that my immune system may be attacking major organs,a bit disconcerting as I've had several undiagnosed issues over the last few years.Participating in the forums may well have had no adverse effect after all (trouble is,I now rather wish it were the culprit!) Unfortunately,I'm suffering bad side effects from the steroids I'm having to take,still nothing that a good Rams win won't fix.

Sorry to hear of your ill health Ramblur but it's good that your back. Hope you had a good Christmas despite not feeling quite up to parr 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Sorry to hear of your ill health Ramblur but it's good that your back. Hope you had a good Christmas despite not feeling quite up to parr 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

Thanks for that-unfortunately Christmas and run up were hell ,as was given anti inflammatories and painkillers that didn't work before steroids,as I tested negative to several RA tests,before the final one showed it to be present,agressive and long term.Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.I had a result in the high nineties,when a normal reading would be 7.

Thanks for that-unfortunately Christmas and run up were hell ,as was given anti inflammatories and painkillers that didn't work before steroids,as I tested negative to several RA tests,before the final one showed it to be present,agressive and long term.Wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy.I had a result in the high nineties,when a normal reading would be 7.

Oh dear, bad luck there Ramblur 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> I s'pose the only thing what any of us can do is plod on regardless (and hope to get a win today) 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Welcome back Rambler.

Another thing we have to take into consideration is that any success we have will probably be short lived.

As we are seeing with Green, if a player is a reasonable success with us then when his contract is up we won't be able to compete with other clubs for our own players.

Archived