Gareth Roberts

ramLAD

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the course of the season he has been a solid 7/10 for me... when we went through our bad spell he was our best defender (not saying much) most of the time and now we're winning, whilst Barker, Shack and Bray are all superior players he is certainly holding is own!

Roberts soldiered on through injuries last season and was clearly playing below the standard he had set in previous seasons at this level; he was then labelled as crap by many supporters. We are now seeing why Clough signed him, but many of those who labelled him last season seem to refuse to accept that, when fit, he is actually a very competent Championship level left back. A similar thing happened with Barker last season, he played despite his knee not working and sections of the fan base started to question his ability, unlike Roberts he had a Derby history so it did not become fact that he was crap as was the case with Roberts for many. A number of “supporters” who sit near me get on Roberts back for every small error, yet similar errors by Brayford are ignored as he has been labelled as good.

Players like Commons, for example, will only play when 100% fit and gets hero worshiped by many of the same fans who think Roberts is crap.... What type of character would you rather have playing for you if you were a manager, one who will play through pain even if they cannot deliver anything like 100% of their ability or one who pulls a sicky for every broken eyelash?

I for hope that Roberts stays fit and earns a contract for next season, that’s not to say that we shouldn’t sign a younger left back too.

I'll be the first to admit I was one who wanted rid at the beggining of the season but he's been an absolute revalation. Steady all year and the last 4-5 he has been outstanding for his age and lack of pace. Long may it continue, just don't go back to your ways Vs Brizzle at home last year, Gaz... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/mellow' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':mellow:' />

He's been better than Brayford overall this season for whatever reason.

It's not fair that he's under extra critical eyes due to his poor start at Derby.

He just needs to stopped getting sucked in to central positions. One mistake though and the boos will be back.

He's been better than Brayford overall this season for whatever reason.

It's not fair that he's under extra critical eyes due to his poor start at Derby.

He just needs to stopped getting sucked in to central positions. One mistake though and the boos will be back.

Brayford hasn't really played that well this season, hasnt played really badly but hasnt been up to his usual standard.

I rarely post on here but often read, and for the first time in a long while this thread has 'incited' me to speak up.

If offering an, average at best, 34 year old is the state of our club then we need to demand more!

Roberts has been poor or worse for a majority of his time at DCFC.

I agree he has stepped up recently and if he were 21 I would be hopeful that he would be a steady player for us for years to come, but his very respectful career is coming to an end! I do not doubt his enthusiasm and attitude at all, but unless he is actually Benjamin Button, instead of just playing like him sometimes, then it has to be a mistake to offer him a contract?

Personally I put his uplift in form down to our centre halves, who are undoubtedly 2 of the best in the league. I actually think I could look semi decent playing alongside them.

I rarely post on here but often read, and for the first time in a long while this thread has 'incited' me to speak up.

If offering an, average at best, 34 year old is the state of our club then we need to demand more!

Roberts has been poor or worse for a majority of his time at DCFC.

I agree he has stepped up recently and if he were 21 I would be hopeful that he would be a steady player for us for years to come, but his very respectful career is coming to an end! I do not doubt his enthusiasm and attitude at all, but unless he is actually Benjamin Button, instead of just playing like him sometimes, then it has to be a mistake to offer him a contract?

Personally I put his uplift in form down to our centre halves, who are undoubtedly 2 of the best in the league. I actually think I could look semi decent playing alongside them.

funnily enough i think that the return to fitness and form of our two full backs has been as important - if not more so.

it's a good back five that we have at the moment.

clough seems to be suggesting that LB will be targeted in the summer and i would suggest that a GR who is willing to 'fight for his place' is a very worthwhile member of a developing squad.

There's that critical eye.

He's been better than Brayford. 34 or not. Age doesn't get pts. If he plays well I don't care how old he is.

Hes played well all season. Why is he still one of the village idiots? What does he have to do to earn the right to have a bad game?

There's that critical eye.

He's been better than Brayford. 34 or not. Age doesn't get pts. If he plays well I don't care how old he is.

Hes played well all season. Why is he still one of the village idiots? What does he have to do to earn the right to have a bad game?

Most reasonable people accept that roberts is playing well and is a good player.

I am clearly out in the cold on this one but as a 34 year old who has been good for maybe 6 or 7 games, not amazing, why would we offer him a new contract? Unless we are hoping he still has some growing to do maybe?! (sorry tongue in cheek).

It is ridiculous that he is our only left back, and I respect him for turning out when injured, on numerous occasions, but if people think he has been 'immense' this year then I have been watching a different player at times!

You watch, he'll have a stinker on Saturday and people will say "told ya he was rubbish".

In his Derby career what percentage of games would people say have been good?

Surely an acceptable amount now to allow him a few poor displays before he's not good enough?

I think a reasonable view point is that he has been extremely poor in big patches for Derby, but this season seems to have turned it around and been one of our better defenders. I'd argue that from a consistency perspective, he's been better than Shackell.

Unfortunately alot of people get stuck with a perception of somoene and even if they do well and prove people wrong, they can't change people's minds.

Bit like Clough.

I am clearly out in the cold on this one but as a 34 year old who has been good for maybe 6 or 7 games, not amazing, why would we offer him a new contract? Unless we are hoping he still has some growing to do maybe?! (sorry tongue in cheek).

It is ridiculous that he is our only left back, and I respect him for turning out when injured, on numerous occasions, but if people think he has been 'immense' this year then I have been watching a different player at times!

I think mate, and I understand that everyone wants different thing from a player, that he's had more good games than 7.

I do think we should have options in every position and that there are better LBs in the league. Plus his age doesn't warrant much of a contract.

But if he's outperforming a good player like Brayford then surely it's poor principals to replace him?

Archived