Best 20 championship players..

Ambitious

It's been around since the 04/05 season where Forest were sadly 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/laugh' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':lol:' /> ... 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' /> relegated and we were facing a side we beat on final day 3-1 in the form of Billy Davies Preston...

Who for you has been the best 20 championship players? I know my list will throw some people due to how much players have gone backwards, but still.. here goes, after much much thinking and remembering...

20. Adel Taarabt(QPR)

19. Gylifi Sigurdsson(READING)

18. Peter Whittingham(CARDIFF)

17. Charlie Adam(BLACKPOOL)

16. Joleon Lescott(WOLVES)

15. Robert Green(NORWICH/WEST HAM)

14. Paddy Kenny(SHEFFIELD UNITED/QPR)

13. Ashley Young(WATFORD)

12. Jason Roberts(WIGAN)

11. Youl Mawene(PRESTON)

10. Darren Huckerby(NORWICH)

9. Kevin Phillips(WBA/BIRMINGHAM/BLACKPOOL)

8. Gary McSheffrey(COVENTRY/BIRMINGHAM)

7. Nathan Ellington(WIGAN/WATFORD/DERBY/IPSWICH/WBA)

6. Andrew Johnson(PALACE)

5. Sylvan Ebanks-Blake(PLYMOUTH/WOLVES)

4. Phil Jagielka(SHEFFIELD UNITED)

3. Michael Kightly(WOLVES/WATFORD)

2. Kevin Doyle(READING)

1. Steve Sidwell(READING)

Any problem with the list, you know what to do.. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/happy' class='bbc_emoticon' alt='^_^' />

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't think of 20 but I think these should be in there taking out the likes of Mawene, Huckerby, Kightly and a few others

Scott Sinclair

Ryan Shawcross

Gareth Bale

Andy Carroll

Jose Enrique

Kevin Nolan

Coloccini

Idiakez - gotta have 1 Derby Player

Bullard

Julio Arca

Jason Koumas

Also, on ability - Scott Parker and Craig Bellamy, impact was less than expected though, in Parker's case through lack of games before transfer

I think first of all you have to ask the question :

a) Do you go on best players to have played in the championship at some point, whereby you are talking who has later played at the highest level and done well at that high level ie sustained premiership player / international.

or are we talking the best players witrh the best impact when they were playing championship football.

if its the latter - Steve Sidwell@ reading Pratley at swansea, jagielka@sheff utd (when he was a midfielder)

probably paul merson @ pompey for me.

I think first of all you have to ask the question :

a) Do you go on best players to have played in the championship at some point, whereby you are talking who has later played at the highest level and done well at that high level ie sustained premiership player / international.

or are we talking the best players witrh the best impact when they were playing championship football.

if its the latter - Steve Sidwell@ reading Pratley at swansea, jagielka@sheff utd (when he was a midfielder)

probably paul merson @ pompey for me.

the latter, thats why Ellington, McSheffrey...etc

Newcastles title winning side never really impressed me, but I only saw them getting shreaded apart, forgot about Koumas in all honesty, would of made the list definitely.

Mawene for me is the most under-rated centre half to ever play at this level, he had 2 years at preston where he was head and shoulders above any centre back in the division, him and clod have gone on to do nothing, but have a case to be called the best centre half patnership ever in the championship, just like Ellington and Roberts have, well... Ellington and Roberts were, no question 44 league goals between them two alone.. top class.

also Merson was pre-championship!

Cba to list them in order but 20 players I'd have in derby's team any day of the week (if there not in there already)

Shaun Barker

Julian Speroni

Adam Hamill

Kevin Nolan

Andy Carroll (awesome in the championship)

Sylvan Ebanks-Blake

Charlie Adam

Peter Whittingham

Roger Johnson

Inigo Idiakez

Tom Huddlestone

Steve Sidwell

Gareth Bale

Fabrico Coloccini

Ricky Lambert

Scott Sinclair

Phil Jagielka

Adel Taarabt

Kevin Doyle

Ashley Young

----------------------Speroni----------------------

Jagielka---Johnson----Huddleston------Bale

--------Nolan------Adam-------Sidwell--------

------Sinclair--------------------------Young----

-----------------------Carroll----------------------

Could hold itself pretty well in the premiership

I never saw Carroll play well, first game he was absolutely dominated by Bucko and addison which saw him substituted and the second game he was absolute dominated by Barker and Bucko

our centre backs on both occasions made him look very poor in the extreme, he finished with a decent amount of goals but I didn't put him in simply because to this very day I have not seen him play well.

Huddlestone can't be named surely? he is a great player now, but when he was in the championship he was just a kid, same with Bale who hit a few free kicks but little else.both have grown into much better players though!

• 2 weeks later...

i thought merson was in the championship side that walked the division, and then he retired and it was sherringham when they were a premier side.

and yes ellington and a lot of that wigan side were incredible.

I remember a very young jimmy bullard running the show for wigan at pride park once.

the latter, thats why Ellington, McSheffrey...etc

Newcastles title winning side never really impressed me, but I only saw them getting shreaded apart, forgot about Koumas in all honesty, would of made the list definitely.

Mawene for me is the most under-rated centre half to ever play at this level, he had 2 years at preston where he was head and shoulders above any centre back in the division, him and clod have gone on to do nothing, but have a case to be called the best centre half patnership ever in the championship, just like Ellington and Roberts have, well... Ellington and Roberts were, no question 44 league goals between them two alone.. top class.

also Merson was pre-championship!

Ibra Sonko and Ingimarsson are by far and away the best CB pairing the NPC has ever seen.. They conceded something like 29 goals all season. Both went on to help Reading achieve an 8th place finish in the PL.. In their prime during that season they were class. As was the whole team.. Lita, Doyle, Kitson, Sidwell, Hannaman, Murty, Shorey, Sonko, Ingimarsson, Glen Little, Stephen Hunt, James Harper.. They all have to be in top 20, they were all individually and as a team head and shoulders above any other NPC player at that time..

i thought merson was in the championship side that walked the division, and then he retired and it was sherringham when they were a premier side.

and yes ellington and a lot of that wigan side were incredible.

I remember a very young jimmy bullard running the show for wigan at pride park once.

Lee Mcullouch (sp?) was fantasic that season too.. He scored at PP during that 1-1 draw

That Wigan team though wasn't that much better than our team, we even did them 2-0 at their place.. They only finished 9 points ahead of us I think..

Lee Mcullouch (sp?) was fantasic that season too.. He scored at PP during that 1-1 draw

That Wigan team though wasn't that much better than our team, we even did them 2-0 at their place.. They only finished 9 points ahead of us I think..

I'll give you that one Bris, 11 points actually Ralph, but a good memory. I first thought they went up as champs?

I'll give you that one Bris, 11 points actually Ralph, but a good memory. I first thought they went up as champs?

Pretty sure Sunderland finished top, Wigan 2nd and Ipswich 3rd.. As 2005/06 Sunderland broke the records in the PL with 15 points..

Wigan actually definately finished 2nd.. As Joe Royle (then Ipswich manager) congratulated Mick McCarthy on promotion a few games before the end.. And the last game of the season my mate (a Reading fan) went to Wigan away as Reading had a chance of finishing in the playoffs and Wigan needed to win to secure promotion.. Wigan won 3-1 or 3-0, I remember it clearly now.

On current form, the top 20 championship players would have amongst their ranks

Frankie Fielding

John "Amish" Brayford

Gareth "Roberto Carlos" Roberts

The Shack

Brickwall Barks

James "pretty boy" Bailey

Craig "ugly boy" Bryson

Your my Jamie Waarrrrrd

Theo "Gerd Muller" Robinson

Ball! Always believe in.............

to name but a few........ 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

On current form, the top 20 championship players would have amongst their ranks

Frankie Fielding

John "Amish" Brayford

Gareth "Roberto Carlos" Roberts

The Shack

Brickwall Barks

James "pretty boy" Bailey

Craig "ugly boy" Bryson

Your my Jamie Waarrrrrd

Theo "Gerd Muller" Robinson

Ball! Always believe in.............

to name but a few........ 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/biggrin' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' />

Amish is very good.

Pretty sure Sunderland finished top, Wigan 2nd and Ipswich 3rd.. As 2005/06 Sunderland broke the records in the PL with 15 points..

Wigan actually definately finished 2nd.. As Joe Royle (then Ipswich manager) congratulated Mick McCarthy on promotion a few games before the end.. And the last game of the season my mate (a Reading fan) went to Wigan away as Reading had a chance of finishing in the playoffs and Wigan needed to win to secure promotion.. Wigan won 3-1 or 3-0, I remember it clearly now.

Yeah Sunderland won and the 2nd spot was between Wigan and Ipswich and Ipswich blew it, West Ham sneaked into the playoffs and went up like Blackpool did in 2010.

Archived