James Bailey

DcFc Dyycheee

Maybe it is my valuations that are out then- I am surprised that you quoted so high mate, 2,5 for Brayford? I think that 1.8 could probably buy them both, Don't get me wrong they are good players at this level but not outstanding, if we hold out for those kinds of fees we will have them at the club for ever- ah, nice plan, if we inflate their value they will never leave mwah mwah mwha! 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/ph34r' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ph34r:' />

while brayford hasn't been great this season ( still been good) last season he was tremendous, i think he has real potential to be a top right back, it's why I put 2.5 for him, bailey I don't rate anywhere near as highly. maybe 1.8 could take brayford it would make me think.

• Replies 437
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't get me wrong, I would be delighted if we keep hold of the both of them for many seasons to come. Also I don't think that we are selling club anymore (its been a while) but if an offer came in for either of them at around a million it would be very difficult to turn down- I know that they have age on their on their side but Barker and Shacks cost around that figure. With Billy Sharp maybe going for around 3 mil, that is exceptional in the champ and only players with a high profile command that kind of fee- .

Donny and Leicester have agreed 1.8 mill for Sharp, which puts some valuations on Bailey on this thread into perspective. I'd be surprised in Bailey in the current market is worth more than £600k up front, seeing as we paid an estimated £400k for him. I'd be astonished if anyone offered £1 million.

Like all departures, it's what the manager is allowed to do with the money. If they sold Bailey for X and bought in a midfielder who can run a game for the same amount then it would be good business, because that's an area we're lacking and it would improve the team. If the manager isn't given the money, then the team is weakened, and it's bad business.

I know we all pretty much rate Brayford however do not think we would get more than a million for him. For some reason defenders do not go for daft prices like midfielders and especially strikers.

Look at Barker I think we brought him on the cheap when he signed from Blackpool (although I think we agreed to pull out of chasing Adam)

Shackell there were arguments at the time that our board risked missing out on him becuase we were offering too low an offer at 1million but signed him.

In respect of Gael Clichy he signed from Arsenal to Man City with the richest owners in football at the moment for only £7million. That price would have been inflated as it was Man City with their money behind him. He is a top class premiership left back, played for Arsenal for a number of years and is a French international. For me that was cheap for a player of his standing.

I think Brayfords form at present we would get at most an offer around the million mark more like £800kand there is no chance we would sell for that. Also Clough is looking at cover for fullbacks not selling one to have to replace him.

With respect of Bailey I believe he is more influential than people think he is the quiet player on the pitch which many do not see what he does on or off the ball. However I think the most we would get for him £600k.

The club I do not believe will sell players like Brayford and Bailey as the wage structure set for this season is in preparation for the effective wage cap dependent on income.

In respect of Gael Clichy he signed from Arsenal to Man City with the richest owners in football at the moment for only £7million. That price would have been inflated as it was Man City with their money behind him. He is a top class premiership left back, played for Arsenal for a number of years and is a French international. For me that was cheap for a player of his standing.

He wouldnt sign a new contract and wanted to leave, Brayford is worth what clubs are willing to pay, given that as yet we havent had a bid for him, it would tend to suggest that we rate him higher than other clubs do.

Just watched the first half of the Palace game. We wouldn't have played anywhere near so well without Bailey. So many of our chances game from balls he placed that no one else in the squad is capable of.

It's no coincedence that since he's returned, we've not only had better results, but we've also played very differently.

He wouldnt sign a new contract and wanted to leave, Brayford is worth what clubs are willing to pay, given that as yet we havent had a bid for him, it would tend to suggest that we rate him higher than other clubs do.

Don't get me wrong I think they are worth more than some people think. I am basing this on the fact that they come from the lower leagues to us and in the first season were involved in a relegation battle in a side struggling. They have only one seasons experience at this level and are not names. We have at present a side with no known players except probably Green who has been injured for a long time. Our last 'known' players were Hulse and Commons.

Look at some of our fans they want the board to spend on championship proven players thinking that will get us promotion. I believe we have championship standard players who are proven in Brayford, Fielding, Shackell, Barker, Roberts, Bailey, Ward, Tyson, Theo, Green and Steve Davies when fit. They are just not names that some people want.

Just watched the first half of the Palace game. We wouldn't have played anywhere near so well without Bailey. So many of our chances game from balls he placed that no one else in the squad is capable of.

It's no coincedence that since he's returned, we've not only had better results, but we've also played very differently.

What? He was absolutely USELESS for the whole game.

What passes are you on about & who else couldnt make them?

Don't get me wrong I think they are worth more than some people think. I am basing this on the fact that they come from the lower leagues to us and in the first season were involved in a relegation battle in a side struggling. They have only one seasons experience at this level and are not names. We have at present a side with no known players except probably Green who has been injured for a long time. Our last 'known' players were Hulse and Commons.

Look at some of our fans they want the board to spend on championship proven players thinking that will get us promotion. I believe we have championship standard players who are proven in Brayford, Fielding, Shackell, Barker, Roberts, Bailey, Ward, Tyson, Theo, Green and Steve Davies when fit. They are just not names that some people want.

Agreed I think 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> it's not as though nowrich went up with any overpaid/well known players cept maybe lambert

Im not saying your wrong but of all the players you mention as proven championship players, how may have played regulary for a team that has finished in the top 10 of this division.

I agree that you dont need big names to get out of this league, but and this is a big but, the players you mention are not (yet) a foundation for a top 6 team, yet if you added 2 or 3 players who have got the expereince of getting out of this league, or have that bit of extra quality and your argument becomes more vaild.

The thing with Bailey is he shows for the ball and trys to start the little inter-connecting passing in triangles etc. He can do the hollywood passes as well but more often he is the main link man. He started Ok against Palace but went down hill rapidly, his touch and weight of pass wasn't right. Most of the time though he plays well and is essential for our midfield until/unless he is replaced by someone we haven't got at the moment.

I suggest that you do the same as Duracell and watch at least the first half of the Palace game again, Bailey was at the centre of most things, his pass completion % is high and he created at least 3 chances with excellent through balls. The reason we are not giving the ball away so often now is that Bailey is there - always willing to take the ball and move it on. In my view (which is correct), he must be an absolute dream to play with in this league.

I thought Bailey had one of his worst games in a Derby shirt against Palace. Gave the ball away far too often and didn't seem interested in grafting to win it back. Not sure about his pass completion ratio in the Palace game being high as I've not seen the individual player statistics. On balance though, we do look a better side when Bailey plays, so I'm not sure what this tells us about our midfield when Bailey isn't in the team..!!

I thought Bailey had one of his worst games in a Derby shirt against Palace. Gave the ball away far too often and didn't seem interested in grafting to win it back. Not sure about his pass completion ratio in the Palace game being high as I've not seen the individual player statistics. On balance though, we do look a better side when Bailey plays, so I'm not sure what this tells us about our midfield when Bailey isn't in the team..!!

James Bailey is not going to be a stand out player, as most things he does are beautifully simple. If you watch the first half again you will see that if he did misplace a pass he did indeed chase back to help recover it. I agree that when he is in the side we do look a better side. Certainly better balanced with better ball retention.

I think Nigel Clough would be highly delighted if that was one of James Bailey's worst games in a Derby shirt.

Bailey was good for the first 20 minutes against Palace, then got progressively worse. He was dreadful in the second half, it was like he was trying to be substituted. Can't understand why Cloughie didn't bring Davies on for him and put Greeny in the middle.

However I hope we don't sell Bailey, he's an important player, neat and tidy and has a good habit of being in the right place at the right time. Just wish he'd put himself about a bit more.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived