Greeny Going?

Jayram

I've always rated Green and would prefer him to stay, but I can understand him not wanting to take a pay cut (hell I wouldn't!).

To my mind he was one of the few consistently decent players in of our previous poor seasons - it's not his fault he was surrounded by inconsistent / out of form / bad players for the most of that time.

He'll never carry a team by himself, but he'll do well in a team full of confidence that includes a few top championship players.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If he comes in line with the wage structure, then it's good all round. This seems to have been everyone's opinion, he's good, but he's not 'top earners' good. He's in a stronger position now that he's helped us to our best run in months (would have been years if not for the amazing start).

i would keep paul green and get rid of ben davies

It's not as simple as that mate. Green's on big money, Ben Davies isn't. Green's got 6 months left on his contract, Ben Davies has 18 months.

And Green's been offered a new deal but turned it down, as far as I'm aware.

I might be synicel here.

I know Glick said Saturday Green was offered a contract in the summer but did not specify the details of this contract. Considering how he negotiates with other clubs and players (in other words tries to ensure that the bottom of his pockets never gets past his ankles), I would not be surprised if they offered him a one year extension on low wages as he was injured badly and tried to tie him down cheaply. If this was the case that would not be enough to an international player injured or not and especially in his late 20's.

Green obviously did not sign the contract offered then. He has since come back and I have been one that rates him (but can also understand if he wanted to leave after the last battling 3 seasons and also reports commented on here that he wanted to go).

Glick also mentioned I believe that they have not further discussed his contract since the summer or confirm whether the deal was still on the table.

Now for me Green has come back in his last 7 games better than he was playing before injury. Is this due to the fact he is not having to cover for Savage and can play his game more and wants to earn contract. I have seen him take more shots in the last 7 games then in the total of last season. He is proving he can play RW and he is better than Davies. Ward is proving as good if not better set piece taker than Ben Davies.

He is an international, experienced, playing well, balancing our midfield and the side is gaining confidence. He says he wants to stop so for me I would probably look at offering a on the lines of and say to him this is the offer no negotiation and let him decide.

2 1/2 yr deal wages within the wage budget (meaning no higher than players like Shackell, Ward, Barker, Brayford etc). If he agrees keep him. Why buy someone and pay wages and get them used to how we play when he can fit straight in.

If he refused to comply with this then he has to go now or at the end of the season. Not my choice but club should not break their wage structue for anyone as this automatically causes unrest within the squad and the wages will naturally increase.

Give him the option and let him decide

We will offer him an improved contract, once someone comes in for him offers us 100k plus a bag of peanuts (aka undisclosed), and then make a statement that we did everything we could to try and keep him.

We will then bring in a cheap, poor replacement (paying him with the bag of peanuts), play him for a few games, once we see he is no good, stick him in the reserves saying his attitude is not right and play an up and coming 10 year old instead.

Good news is that the bank balance will look a bit better 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />

It's not as simple as that mate. Green's on big money, Ben Davies isn't. Green's got 6 months left on his contract, Ben Davies has 18 months.

And Green's been offered a new deal but turned it down, as far as I'm aware.

Also Ben Davies is the better player, for me anyway.

don't forget that this is not as simple as the club saying 'how do you fancy xxxx pounds per week?' - there will certainly be an agent involved who will be trying their best to get more money than the club can afford (or are willing to pay) or even trying to engineer that Greenie changes clubs (better from the agent's perspective as they'd be entitled to a big chunk of any signing on fee). The club may have made a fair offer; Green may be keen to stay; but with an agent involved in the negotiations, it's not going to be that straight-forward......

Green wants to go,no matter what he says.if he stays he wants more money than were prepared to pay.He should remember we paid him well for 7 months when he contributed sweet FA.

lets sell the greedy git and get some cash instead of letting him go on a free enabling him to fill his pockets even more.

Green wants to go,no matter what he says.if he stays he wants more money than were prepared to pay.He should remember we paid him well for 7 months when he contributed sweet FA.

lets sell the greedy git and get some cash instead of letting him go on a free enabling him to fill his pockets even more.

Remind me again how he got injured and doing what ?

But let's not get that in the way of your well balanced reasoned argument against a player, who got injured doing his job and probably had the majority of his wages covered by insurance during this period.

Instead let's beat him around the head with a stick for saying he wants to stay, but may consider offers that give him a better wage and better future for his family in years to come.

Archived