Riggots Contract Cancelled

Curtains

A shame really, it was always looking unlikely and as for him being on 4k a week, that was a bit of a poor decision and I thought we was meant to be skint?

If he was on a lesser basic wage, around 1k then it might of been worth carrying on and seeing what comes of it, as it stands 4k is still draining resources and he still looks like his missing a lot of match fitness.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sad but inevitable. Chris has struggled with serious injuries for years, I never thought he would play for us and if he was on 4k a week that was a bad decision. The gamble was exactly that, if he had played he would have been brilliant for us, sadly he couldn't get fit. Best wishes to chris.

4 grand a week, f*cking hell, didnt realise it was that much. Even if he had got back to full fitness he was always likely to get injured again, typical Clough decision.

If emjlc is right about him being on 4k a week then that’s about average for a Championship player. He obviously wasn’t given any kind of long term contract in case the gamble didn’t pay off. The downside was limited. But if the gamble had paid off then what a great player to have as cover for maybe a year or two.

Inevitable really.

Some thought so.

Everyone knew it was gamble but there were differences in opinon. Some thought it was hopeless and he'd never make it. Some thought the medics might have identified the problem and fixed him over the summer. Clough had seen him train and must have been hopeful as well. Most, like me, didnt have a clue one way or another.

The first group guessed right. Well done if you were one of that group. But it was still a guess.

I don't think Clough decides who gets what and how, when it comes to money. Can you imagine the Americans doing that? really.. All Clough can really do is to advise, I may be wrong and say Clough did agree to the contract, but from what I can gather hasn't Clough said in the past he has no idea what players are on?

It may of been the Americans being a bit too flush with their money, rather than Clough doing the negotiating with them

So lets get this right then.

Was he on 1) a pay as you play deal as Clough has stated

or 2) 4k a week as emjlc claims he has insider knowledge (in which case Clough has directly lied to the fans)

He was on both 4k a week basic plus more for every appearance. He didn't lie but not go into full detail.

So lets get this right then.

Was he on 1) a pay as you play deal as Clough has stated

or 2) 4k a week as emjlc claims he has insider knowledge (in which case Clough has directly lied to the fans)

Emjlc is a very respectable source when it comes to Riggot, in fairness... if anyone else had said it, I would of rubbished it but since its emjlc, then i'm in no doubts!

I don't think Clough decides who gets what and how, when it comes to money. Can you imagine the Americans doing that? really.. All Clough can really do is to advise, I may be wrong and say Clough did agree to the contract, but from what I can gather hasn't Clough said in the past he has no idea what players are on?

It may of been the Americans being a bit too flush with their money, rather than Clough doing the negotiating with them

I would of thought being on a limited budget and tasked with reducing the wage bill Clough would of wanted to be in the loop with these things, weighing up if the deal is worth it or not for the club.

4k pw or pay as you play, 11 odd games in 3 years and with Barker, Buxton and Anderson already hogging the treatment room it was a daft dream to start with.

Nothing against Riggott as a person, I'm sure he's a great lad and will be gutted at not making it, perhaps it's now time to hang up his boots.

Some thought so.

Everyone knew it was gamble but there were differences in opinon. Some thought it was hopeless and he'd never make it. Some thought the medics might have identified the problem and fixed him over the summer. Clough had seen him train and must have been hopeful as well. Most, like me, didnt have a clue one way or another.

The first group guessed right. Well done if you were one of that group. But it was still a guess.

His record over several years would indicate the likely outcome of this. The overall picture is a club which is not awash with money has wasted 300k plus on Kilbane and Riggott in just wages, which could have been a lot better spent for sure.

That is not pay as you play.

To be fair thats not actually that much for someone who just a couple of years ago was on about 25k a week at Boro and has a lot of prem experience and has played in a UEFA cup final. Do people actually believe he would turn up for work everyday and not get paid? Clough clearly thought he was fit as he was training with us from about last jan/feb time but broke down again in pre season. Plenty of players have come back from lots of injuries and done well ie Dean Yates was a right off when we took him. Its not worked out sadly, he has been in full training for a while now so needs games which he wont get here with Barker back.

Riggot is fit but is far down in the pecking order, bloke wants to be playing football whilst he can!! Can't blame him really!!

If that's the case it's even more daft, surely he was told that Barker and Shackell would be numero uno? now Anderson has left and Buxton is doing whatever he does, Riggott would only have been 4th choice at the most behind O'Brien. 1 injury to those 3 and he'd be on the bench with a chance of game time.

Archived