Dutch Fan Invades Pitch And Gets Kicked By Goalie

-JW-

Wednesday's last-16 tie in the Dutch Cup between Ajax and AZ Alkmaar was abandoned after 38 minutes with Ajax leading 1-0 following a pitch invasion by a supporter.

An Ajax fan came onto the pitch and ran towards Alkmaar's Costa Rican goalkeeper Esteban.

The goalkeeper kicked the fan in retaliation after being kicked himself - but was given a red card for misconduct.

After he was dismissed, Alkmaar's furious coach Gert Jan Verbeek ordered his team to leave the pitch.

Alkmaar's technical director Earnest Stewart said: "Verbeek ordered the team off the pitch to control the situation and, in the dressing room, our players said they don't feel safe anymore on the pitch."

An Ajax official said that the police arrested a 19-year-old man.

"I saw that Esteban was attacked and that he defended himself," Ajax coach Frank de Boer said.

"I don't know how I would have reacted but I can understand Esteban with his South American temper. I understand the decision of Alkmaar because of all the emotion at that moment."

Alkmaar director Toon Gebrands said that the club would respect any decision taken by the disciplinary board of the Dutch Football Association (KNVB) but that the safety of his players was at stake.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I was playing football and turned round to find some bloke aiming a kick in the air at me I'd bloody well kick him back aswell.

Probably wouldn't give him an extra kick as he was on the ground but that's me. Good on the 'keeper.

His reaction was blamed on his South American temper??

I thought that was a load of ***** too.

I think if he'd of left the second dig out he might have got away with it. The fan suprises him at first and I'd say his first reaction is pretty normal when someone flies in at you wanting to hurt you!

Crazy.

The first kick is fine, instinctive self-defense with reasonable force. Second & third kicks are classed as assault with a deadly weapon IIRC (kicking somebody on the floor). He could quite easily be facing a spell in jail. I feel some sympathy, being attacked is not what you need in any situation, let alone in your profession. In reality he'll probably get less of a ban than Luis Suarez.

Archived