R.I.P Christopher Hitchens

Leeds Ram

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He was brilliant, In fairness he isn't just anyone, his obituary is on vanity fair, the guardian and other places. His debating skills were amazing, he was able to pull a quote from anywhere and leave his opponent speechless. His writing was always well written and passionate, indeed even those who disagreed with him often respected his zeal and intellect.

People like Hitchens who challenge the norm and can approach their argument so eloquently are sadly rare. A hundred times sharper than the average politician, he often deconstructed hypocrisy. As Young Ram said, it says a lot about him that he was respected by opponents often where the subject matter was an emotive one.

for those who don't know who he was please don't comment on the thread, however he wasn't anyone, the independent, guardian, vanity fair, slate, the new statesman, the Atlantic, the bbc spoke about it on the radio and news and many more have articles on it which are amongst the most read in those newspapers online, the new york times stopped their presses to put his obituary up.

Very fine interview. Makes me think that my intellectual left leaning life has an end. So make the most of it as he did - and remember but two things. Alan Hinton's swerver against Atheltico Madrid. And wonder why my kids will never see the same.

Archived