Manager Phil Brown leaves Preston North End

Hucknall Ram

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mr A, just had a very quick parousal of Holloway's record, and it looks to me that he has a better record than Clough at EVERY league side he has been at, including Leicester.

Holloway was one of the highest spending managers at leicester and he relegated them, all in the same season.

That to me doesn't sound better than what Clough as achieved here, we're still in the division for starters!

Holloway was one of the highest spending managers at leicester and he relegated them, all in the same season.

That to me doesn't sound better than what Clough as achieved here, we're still in the division for starters!

Holloway was only at Leicester for 31 league games pal, do you know anything ?

P 31 W9 D8 L14., if he had been there all season they could well have stayed up.

Relegated with 52 pts, dont happen very often.

Look mate, if you want a forum with posts filled with facts and people who know what they're talking about, you may be in the wrong place

I suppose the other bloke quoting facts at me is OK then, ya know highest spending manager etc....

He is pro Clough I aint whats the problem, and why the restrictions all of a sudden, have I broken any rules ??

And Holloway got Blackpool promoted whilst Clough only managed an 18th(?) place finish in the conference..

It's easy to put someones best achievement up against anothers worst to suit your arguement isn't it?

And Holloway got Blackpool promoted whilst Clough only managed an 18th(?) place finish in the conference..

It's easy to put someones best achievement up against anothers worst to suit your arguement isn't it?

I was just saying, its not apples for apples is it? whilst Clough hasn't got us promoted, he hasn't relegated us either and he has had to cut the budget down half but this is been done to the death.

My argument is and will always be, at this moment in time with the current regime and the way the club is run, it is unlikely we're going to achieve much if anything, the best chance we have is building a side which IMO is what we are doing and doing this takes time, it takes trial and error and bringing through and establishing young players, changing manager every 3 years, or so will only make things worse. Clough hasn't done a bad job IMO, let him see it through but as always if you're not happy, you don't have to bother... vote with your feet.

I am under no illusions about what is happening at the club, and what the restrictions are.. unless there is a change in the way the club is ran, then IMO a change in manager would be a wrong decision, especially when our plan is to grow and develop.

Holloway was only at Leicester for 31 league games pal, do you know anything ?

P 31 W9 D8 L14., if he had been there all season they could well have stayed up.

Relegated with 52 pts, dont happen very often.

He spent a lot of money and was sacked, is that a better job than what Clough is doing here? I don't think so, no doubt his job at Blackpool will take some beating and his achievements there are terrific, but so has Jewell at Wigan, Laws at Ssausagehorpe, Bootroyd at Watford, Brown at Hull.. managers seem to drift in and out of favor, just like players, Steve McClaren and Sven, both are ex England managers have been sacked from the championship this season, they weren't England managers for nothing.

It's a case of the grass is greener on the otherside, I personally think bringing a new manager in would disrupt a side which has been assembled over 3 years, I just don't see what a new manager would bring to the club.. apart from going back to square one, under the same restrictions and the same people would ask the same questions... bringing in a manager doesn't mean we're going to start bringing in big money signings on big money, the same sort of players would probably come walking through the door, and if we're lucky and end up with another Jewell type manager, another few benny feilhabers and tito villas..

I was just saying, its not apples for apples is it? whilst Clough hasn't got us promoted, he hasn't relegated us either and he has had to cut the budget down half but this is been done to the death.

My argument is and will always be, at this moment in time with the current regime and the way the club is run, it is unlikely we're going to achieve much if anything, the best chance we have is building a side which IMO is what we are doing and doing this takes time, it takes trial and error and bringing through and establishing young players, changing manager every 3 years, or so will only make things worse. Clough hasn't done a bad job IMO, let him see it through but as always if you're not happy, you don't have to bother... vote with your feet.

I am under no illusions about what is happening at the club, and what the restrictions are.. unless there is a change in the way the club is ran, then IMO a change in manager would be a wrong decision, especially when our plan is to grow and develop.

Yes but people tarnish other managers with the same brush.. Aidy Boothroyd never relegated Coventry nor Watford, Holloway never relegated Leicester, Phil Brown joined Preston when they were 24th and 10 points plus adrift, Ian Dowie never relegated Palace nor Charlton in the NPC etc..

You praise NC for not relegating us, but under any other board he would have been sacked and every knows that.. By the same token if Coventry had our board perhaps Aidy Boothroyd would still be in a job.. Lets face it us and Coventry both dipped around the same time last year, one kept his job the other didn't..

I agree that a club needs to be built up, Reading, Wolves, Swansea in recent years have shown how to build up a good squad and keep to the same style.. It took them 3 cubs over 3 years in the NPC to get to that point. Norwich, Blackpool, Burnley etc. Are the other forms of promotion where the manager inspires an average team to promotion.. The signs of a good manager.

I agree we need to be building, but IMO NC isn't building anything.. He has bought in players that he's later sold/thrown out.. He's offered contracts to those he doesn't want a year later.. He's changing formations every month or so to try and fit the players he likes rather than thoe with ability, he throws tantrums when things don't go his way, he's incredibly delusional in his media interviews which smacks of a guy who doesn't know what he wants, his tactics/substitutions/slumping on the sidelines/negative dull football offers no confidence of a guy with a plan (future plan)..

Swansea got it right with sticking with a fooballing philosophy, Wolves and McCarthy stuck with buying from the lower leagues and standout NPC players and built.. Reading under Pardew, Coppell and later McDermott have bought from the lower leagues, PL reserves and have always played direct using width.. It worked for them because they had the same plan from day 1.. Just for the record Keith Hill has a great plan at Barnsley, I garauntee they'll be in the playoffs in the next 3 years playing attacking possession football.

Problem with us is that NC changes his plan more times than a baby changes dippers.. And his current plan of 4-5-1 hoofball and no creativity (ie. don't lose mentality) feckin sucks..

Hence why I want him out.

He spent a lot of money and was sacked, is that a better job than what Clough is doing here? I don't think so, no doubt his job at Blackpool will take some beating and his achievements there are terrific, but so has Jewell at Wigan, Laws at Ssausagehorpe, Bootroyd at Watford, Brown at Hull.. managers seem to drift in and out of favor, just like players, Steve McClaren and Sven, both are ex England managers have been sacked from the championship this season, they weren't England managers for nothing.

It's a case of the grass is greener on the otherside, I personally think bringing a new manager in would disrupt a side which has been assembled over 3 years, I just don't see what a new manager would bring to the club.. apart from going back to square one, under the same restrictions and the same people would ask the same questions... bringing in a manager doesn't mean we're going to start bringing in big money signings on big money, the same sort of players would probably come walking through the door, and if we're lucky and end up with another Jewell type manager, another few benny feilhabers and tito villas..

Holloway must have spent everything in Jan, that was the only window he had.

Who were his big money signings, I have not got time to look at the moment, hospital today, let me know, are any of them still at Leicester.

Archived