How would you feel.....

Alph

Heyup YR I stand by my rant on the idiot yesterday supported by Ladyram who is a relative of mine where we sit together as he was way OTT. My lad suffers from asperges syndrome (autism spectrum) and was scared of his behaviour. I am an ex-copper and I have policed matches between Wolves and West Brom/Birmingham etc when in the West Midlands Police Force. I am used to swearing and does not bother me as you say mild swearing as I realise that this is human nature and I am no saint when excited but I am aware of my surroundings.

When you have an idiot calling the players "paddy, taffs etc". Cheering when we lose the ball or laughing when we have a goal scored shows that they are just plainly idiots.

However when some one stands up shouting and I mean shouting with such venom that the veins were bulging out his head spit coming out his mouth throwing his arms around hitting chairs with kids sat in them does tend to annoy me. We spoke to someone 15 seats down from us who was absolutely shocked ddisgusted and dismayed with his behaviour. He hit the chair in front on a number of occaisons whilst shouting F****ing, ******g, Bastar*s, C****s Twa* for way over 2 minutes whilst throwing his fists around hitting chairs and when told to just calm down a bit turn on you next to your kids (I thought at one stage he was going to turn on and become physical as we had dared asked him to calm down). My lad after the game was still concerned about the incident. He is 7 and is aware that people swear as he says things like "he just said a naughty word" whilst giggling, yesterday he did not want to stop in the ground and went to the toilet for over 5 minutes and went back up when he saw that they had come down.

That is when behaviour has gone way to far and is not 'midly' swearing. When you have people 15+ seats away complaining about his behaviour is testament of the behaviour and is not welcome at football now a days as this causes problems.

Derby may not be going through good times but I am proud to say it is a family club and not a club like Millwall or Leeds

Well I obviously hope your lad isn't discouraged from attending, obviously when someone is like that you have to complain and say well enough is enough. I am talking more about the more mild abuse which regularly occurs at a football match which is fine and perfectly understandable and acceptable. I think there is a fine line between being passionate and being like that, which from the sounds of it he crossed, I think encouraging young people to attend the match is vital. However there has to be a balance struck, I have seen some people with kids simply moan moan moan because someone is swearing a little and getting a tad excited, but is basically no harm to anyone. Again when people complain about standing yet sit in the east stand corner, annoys me, the same can happen at away matches which does again tend to annoy me.

Being an ex copper 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/tongue' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':P' /> well i won't say anything on the matter 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/wink' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' /> I think we can have a family club yet i think we shouldn't lose the essence of what a football club is about,which is passion, excitement, banter and having good fun. I think we have reached a stage where football has lost some of these things and it has become more sterile which is a shame, I of course would encourage families to come but I have seen many complain about small things which annoys me.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The atmosphere has definately become sterilised over the last 10 years or so, I think because a large number of people who wouldn't traditionaly have gone to games have started going to PPS because it's more accessible and family/female friendly than the old BBG.

As this has happened a lot of the traditional lads who used to go don't bother any more, because the cost has gone up drastically and their enjoyment diminished because of the lack of atmosphere, banter, it doesn't feel comfortable any more getting drunk and singing, shouting at the ref, baiting the opposition fans when you're surrounded by families and women. It's certainly nothing like the old days. I guess it's not their fault, they see the football on the TV and fancy going to see the local club, but they're just not used to being in that enviroment.

I went to a birthday party a couple of months ago of one of the lads who I used to go to the games with, we met in the boozer every week, got drunk, had a sing on the bus on the way to the ground all sat/stood together in the SE corner. None of them bothered any more, out of about 10-12 who used to go every week I was the only one still going, and that's only occasionally.

YR I want the atmosphere back. I can remember when the goal keepet kicked the ball there was the build up and a chant of "You Fat Bastar*" at the end.

I like I said am no saint and the odd mild swearing as I said is human nature especially when things aren't going well. I would like to see standing back at games, I would like to hear the atmosphere build up in the ground. The problem is that we had a focus point in the ground at BBG i.e. the pop side.#

Personally I would move the away fans to the North Stand. which I think would build up the home and away end feeling a lot better. Also we have enough legends to name our stands corners and give fans a home more than we have and we could move awaqy from the chant of

"we are the south stand"

"we are the East stand"

Great chant to build up the atmosphere 'not!' lol.

Further to this I think the SE corner should be situated alongisde the East Stand Upper opposite the directors box. Simple reason being it is in the middle of the ground the roof is lower and holds the noise. With it being central you will get more and more people joining in on the edges instead of waiting for it to filter around the ground.

Thats my view

That bloke in the NE stand sounds a bigger twit than a cockney fella that we sometimes have in the SE.

I really don't understand how you can be so abusive to a club if you love them so much.

I cannot ever imagine laughing or cheering when an opponent scores. WTF??!

A lot of people are putting on a show too. "look how angry I am. A loyal lifelong supporter that won't stand for this" sort of thing.

If you think you DESERVE better.... Buy a Leeds shirt.

The rest of us just wish, hope and pray for better.

"I pay my money, I can say what I like"..... Well, yeah. But what you say makes you a bit of a dick. Enjoy!

None of them bothered any more, out of about 10-12 who used to go every week I was the only one still going, and that's only occasionally.

Its funny that ain't it? I'm about 15 years your junior so sort of halfway between the old boys and the young uns. Even still, out of the 15-20 that I used to go with (we used to put a minibus on to a lot of away games) only 4 of us still go. It doesn't surprise me when I look around pride park, the demographics have changed so sharply since our move. My dad doesn't bother anymore and there was a time he was about as die hard as it gets. Virtually all of his mates, predominantly Ripley old boys don't seem to bother either. Only know of one with a ST now. Very sad.

It was a cheap pass time back in the days, not a cheap day out nowdays to an away match. I priced a train ticket to Ipswich up, and its over £50 return. Not viable if there's a few of you wanting a drink and not driving, then the tickets about £30 no doubt, plus beer money, and the beer money is a lot now days too.

It's not just us though, I remember catching a Liverpool game on SKY, probably about 10 years ago, an early CL group game. Liverpool scored and the camera panned across a section of the crowd, which was half empty and the people it focussed on were sat in their seats clapping as though they were at the ballet.

Anfield used to be rocking in the 70's, the Kop swaying, the banners and scarves, nothing like it now.

That bloke in the NE stand sounds a bigger twit than a cockney fella that we sometimes have in the SE.

I really don't understand how you can be so abusive to a club if you love them so much.

I cannot ever imagine laughing or cheering when an opponent scores. WTF??!

A lot of people are putting on a show too. "look how angry I am. A loyal lifelong supporter that won't stand for this" sort of thing.

If you think you DESERVE better.... Buy a Leeds shirt.

The rest of us just wish, hope and pray for better.

"I pay my money, I can say what I like"..... Well, yeah. But what you say makes you a bit of a dick. Enjoy!

You wouldn't believe it Alpha. He does that every week 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' /> . I think I mentioned him and his mate in a post the other week, where I said I wish he'd p1ss off and go and sit in the away end.

I'm dreading Boxing Day to be honest.

Heyup YR I stand by my rant on the idiot yesterday supported by Ladyram who is a relative of mine where we sit together as he was way OTT. My lad suffers from asperges syndrome (autism spectrum) and was scared of his behaviour. I am an ex-copper and I have policed matches between Wolves and West Brom/Birmingham etc when in the West Midlands Police Force. I am used to swearing and does not bother me as you say mild swearing as I realise that this is human nature and I am no saint when excited but I am aware of my surroundings.

When you have an idiot calling the players "paddy, taffs etc". Cheering when we lose the ball or laughing when we have a goal scored shows that they are just plainly idiots.

However when some one stands up shouting and I mean shouting with such venom that the veins were bulging out his head spit coming out his mouth throwing his arms around hitting chairs with kids sat in them does tend to annoy me. We spoke to someone 15 seats down from us who was absolutely shocked ddisgusted and dismayed with his behaviour. He hit the chair in front on a number of occaisons whilst shouting F****ing, ******g, Bastar*s, C****s Twa* for way over 2 minutes whilst throwing his fists around hitting chairs and when told to just calm down a bit turn on you next to your kids (I thought at one stage he was going to turn on and become physical as we had dared asked him to calm down). My lad after the game was still concerned about the incident. He is 7 and is aware that people swear as he says things like "he just said a naughty word" whilst giggling, yesterday he did not want to stop in the ground and went to the toilet for over 5 minutes and went back up when he saw that they had come down.

That is when behaviour has gone way to far and is not 'midly' swearing. When you have people 15+ seats away complaining about his behaviour is testament of the behaviour and is not welcome at football now a days as this causes problems.

Derby may not be going through good times but I am proud to say it is a family club and not a club like Millwall or Leeds

Good post and they are some of the reason why I don't go to as many football games as I used to.

You wouldn't believe it Alpha. He does that every week 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':(' /> 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angry' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':angry:' /> . I think I mentioned him and his mate in a post the other week, where I said I wish he'd p1ss off and go and sit in the away end.

I'm dreading Boxing Day to be honest.

If he cheers a Leeds goal..... Well, those concrete stairs can be awfully slippy I've noticed.

If he cheers a Leeds goal..... Well, those concrete stairs can be awfully slippy I've noticed.

I hope he doesn't as it could turn nasty. Dav's banned me from sitting behind him, I'm gonna sit on the other end of our line with the kids. That's if I go, I want to but the pair of them are putting me right off. It's not just their gobs but their attitude as a whole.

While you mention stairs - thanks to the club stewards and the paramedics who helped me youngest when he fell down a few on Saturday. 'http://www.dcfcfans.co.uk/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/rolleyes' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':rolleyes:' /> He thinks he's bloody Tigger, he bounces all over the shop. He's ok though.

You say "as usual"... but i thought it reached a new low today. Really abusive to our own club.

A lot of the abuse aimed at Roberts makes me laugh as he's actually become rather good. His height could and should be a real nightmare but is actually something he obviously knows how to deal with.

I really have no problem what anyone says outside the 90mins, but the abuse sent at our own club and the way specific players are pack hunted i find bizzare. I really wish we'd all pull in the same direction. The negative chanting and abuse is really not going to help is it?

Sure, we can say "well, why should we sing and clap while losing every week". But i don't see how we're going to get out of any bad situation by giving the side stick.

The bloke that started chanting "442, 442, 442" then went onto abuse Fielding and Clough and then sung "Come On You Reds" went home at HT i think.

My favourite bit was "Look, five across midfield isn't working if he's getting a shot off from there!!!" (It was 30yrds from goal) LOL.

Don't really want to get involved in this as it is up to the individual if they want to shout- they have paid their money, they can have a say- apart from swearing around kids. I don't shout abuse personally- just the odd mutter under my breath but I can appreciate why people are getting annoyed. Why were people picking on Fielding? I still can't believe we managed to sign him! He couldn't do anything about the goal and made a few other good saves, what was the problem?

Archived